Morrissey A-Z: "Break up the Family"

It's a very positive song, but it makes me feel intensely sad.

It's one of those ones that if you properly listen to his voice, you'll probably get smitten for life, even if it would slip past on the radio.

Much love for this one.

Imminently quotable lyrics with no excessive repetitions; a different sound for Moz at the time. Its lovely musically, with a message both positive, and yet perhaps leaves one feeling less so (more eloquently explained by Nerak.)

In this song even his voice sounds stressed in a way that makes it appear that he hasn't been singing for five years already. (Listen at 2:24 and tell me what you hear?)

Perhaps I "am a product of this time", but its a classic for me and defines my love for the man and the music.

MrShoes

Nostalgic, yearning, hopeful. At 29, Morrissey sounded as if he had lived. He sounded both weary and weathered. The song is also musically adventurous. One of the best tracks on VH.

That repeated stuttering embellishment on the drums causes me anxiety.

Am probably in the minority in this one but as much as I love his voice here, and the lyrics, I've never liked the music at all on this song. It sounds like a weak Level 42 b-side. Ugh.

Yeah, I don't get all the love for this one - I find it one of the weakest on 'Viva Hate'. The music is fairly dreary, and I don't find the vocal melody that interesting either. It does have some decent lyrics, and some bright moments though (the whole "Captain of games, solid framed...' verse).

In all, it's OK, but it's a song I put into a similar bracket with 'I'm Not Sorry' - it's all a bit leaden and bland.

Am probably in the minority in this one but as much as I love his voice here, and the lyrics, I've never liked the music at all on this song. It sounds like a weak Level 42 b-side. Ugh.
Yeah, musically it's pretty much the weakest song on the album - interesting/unusual arrangement but that's about all you can say for it. Nice singing and words, though.

I’ve never really took to this song, more of a take it or leave it attitude. But, on hearing it live at then back end of 2018, I got a new found liking for it after all these years.

An underrated song with great lyrics and a very strong lead vocal. The music is fairly simple, but that allows the focus to stay on Morrissey.

The first 8 tracks of Viva Hate are generally very strong and don't represent any step downwards from The Smiths. Things slip a little after that...

In the poll on the other board it ranked 114 from 264 solo songs.

I think it's a great song that might be overlooked because the mood is kind of relaxed or understated.

It’s about Marr and the break up of The Smiths.

One of the great. On an album of greats.

Intensely sad and beautifully melancholic.

Love especially the percussions.

And that voice...

One of the great. On an album of greats.

Intensely sad and beautifully melancholic.

Love especially the percussions.

And that voice...

The words are sincerely saying breaking up the family is a good thing, his voice is sincerely saying I don't want to break up the family.

That's a really hard thing to do.

The words are sincerely saying breaking up the family is a good thing, his voice is sincerely saying I don't want to break up the family.

That's a really hard thing to do.
Yes, that's the beauty of it.

It's crushing.

As mentioned by many others, some conflicting emotions here: hopeful but also melancholic and a little anxious about what a better future can bring enduring happiness. The music is deliberately taking a backseat here.

Much love for this one.

Imminently quotable lyrics with no excessive repetitions; a different sound for Moz at the time. Its lovely musically, with a message both positive, and yet perhaps leaves one feeling less so (more eloquently explained by Nerak.)

In this song even his voice sounds stressed in a way that makes it appear that he hasn't been singing for five years already. (Listen at 2:24 and tell me what you hear?)

Perhaps I "am a product of this time", but its a classic for me and defines my love for the man and the music.

MrShoes

I also feel people will and can be moved by this song regardless of what time they are a product of, I mean if one surrenders to it and understands it. But yes, it probably came out at the right time for many.

Like Viva Hate as a whole, what a great vibe and mood on this one, too bad Jaco Pastorius wasn’t alive and asked to play on this album.

I also feel people will and can be moved by this song regardless of what time they are a product of, I mean if one surrenders to it and understands it. But yes, it probably came out at the right time for many.

Like Viva Hate as a whole, what a great vibe and mood on this one, too bad Jaco Pastorius wasn’t alive and asked to play on this album.

I agree. But its clear that the period of when one came to be introduced to Moz or the Smiths, tends to delineate what one considers Moz's best work.

As for surrendering oneself; easier said then done. But I am tracking you... Like Kuato said to Quaid in the BAFTA award winner, Total Recall, "Open your Mind".

1612632260166.png

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom