Morrissey A-Z: "Break up the Family"

And I loved to be crushed.

When Viva Hate came out, I would listen to it every morning from start to finish before going to school, it’s the only thing that got me through those days.
Sounds like it came at the right time for you. ❤

And I loved to be crushed.

When Viva Hate came out, I would listen to it every morning from start to finish before going to school, it’s the only thing that got me through those days.

Ha! I received my copy of the CD as a coveted member of the Columbia House Music Club (or was it BMG...) 12 CDs for as little as a penny! Huzzah!

Ha! I received my copy of the CD as a coveted member of the Columbia House Music Club (or was it BMG...) 12 CDs for as little as a penny! Huzzah!

For me, it was actually the first cd I ever bought. And I still have it.

Brittania music club for me, five albums, paid the first instalment and then ignored letters asking for the rest and then wrote to say I didn't live at the address anymore and as the new tenent not to keep sending me letters, I know it was wrong but I was only young, everyone seemed to do it, that's why they proberly closed. Now does that sound mad 😀

The lyrics and vocal melody are nice but the musics kinda lacking. In the verse it almost doesn’t sound like the vocal and backing track match. Best part about the instrumental is the percussion

I'm surprised to see the somewhat mixed response to this song, it's a personal favorite and I think it's one of the highlights of Viva Hate. My wife once said to me, "I always know you're drunk when you start blasting that one Morrissey song about the family."

I'm surprised to see the somewhat mixed response to this song, it's a personal favorite and I think it's one of the highlights of Viva Hate. My wife once said to me, "I always know you're drunk when you start blasting that one Morrissey song about the family."

happy in the haze :thumb:

To this day, one of my all time favorite solo songs. I remember being 16 and hearing Morrissey sing: "I'm so glad to grow older/To move away from those awful times" except I felt like I was living those "awful times." Instead of being out with friends till whenever, I had an early curfew and had to be home with my "mean, strict parents." I couldn't wait to grow older, break free and live my life. Of course, looking back now what seemed so severe and unreasonable... really wasn't (hey, I was 16). I look back fondly now, and this song is a perfect time capsule for me.

Brittania music club for me, five albums, paid the first instalment and then ignored letters asking for the rest and then wrote to say I didn't live at the address anymore and as the new tenent not to keep sending me letters, I know it was wrong but I was only young, everyone seemed to do it, that's why they proberly closed. Now does that sound mad 😀
Scandalous behaviour indeed....
But as you say most have done it.
Brittania music as you say was easy,
Another fave of mine was Great universal catalogue was an easy one to bump as well , as you say we were young😇😇😇
Nowadays if we pulled a stunt like that you would receive a county court judgment...... Bastards....

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom