Morrissey A-Z: "Boxers"

What about the boxer in the video bein' named Sunny.
Is it supposed to be the same guy as that other Moz song?
I like to think so. All connected like the videos for Dagenham Dave and Boy Racer. Morrissey's own little tough-but-sad-guy pocket universe.

It's Billy Conn on the UK cover.

I love the US cover, one of my favourite Morrissey solo sleeves. (Photo by Jake.)

View attachment 68275
Still have the sealed US version. The picture remains one of my faves too.
Although critics (at that time) and some fans still today don't share my opinion, but this link between V & I and SG is the way, I would have wanted him to sound forever ever. Lillywhite, no matter how difficult their relationship was, knew exactly how to produce a timeless sound. The song doesn't sound like 94 at all. The majestic and nostalgic meloy fits Morrissey so well. Love it to death...

I also noticed the "Sunny" guy in the video. I don't think it is a coincidence because the song "Sunny" was recorded during the same session as the Boxers. And I thought Sunny was about Alain's brother. Still, if someone has more information to share about the video, I'd be interested.

Still have the sealed US version. The picture remains one of my faves too.
Although critics (at that time) and some fans still today don't share my opinion, but this link between V & I and SG is the way, I would have wanted him to sound forever ever. Lillywhite, no matter how difficult their relationship was, knew exactly how to produce a timeless sound. The song doesn't sound like 94 at all. The majestic and nostalgic meloy fits Morrissey so well. Love it to death...
I think that's true for most Morrissey recordings, to be honest. They sound timeless because he never tried to match a certain sound that was fashionable at the time. To the contrary, he often deliberately did something extremely unfashionable - see Kill Uncle and the rockabilly inspired follow up singles. Couldn't be further away from the Madchester sound.
His "britpop" album has two 10 minute bookend symphonies...

Can anyone else confirm the rumour I heard back in the day that this was initially intended as the lead track of an underwear-themed EP?
Side A - Boxers (Morrissey Whyte)
Side B - Briefs ( Morrissey Boorer), Y-Fronts (Morrissey Nevin)

An underrated gem of a single which was "a huge hit.....nowhere". Absolutely adore this song probably because it takes me back to the York Hall, Bethnal Green and 90s days of yore. A great time to be in one's late teens and early twenties with retrospect.

At the time there was a song doing the rounds which sounded like Morrissey called Melanie and I always remember Radio One promising the new play of the Morrissey single (see Radio One occasionally played Mozzer in those days despite his protestations) and playing this. I Always thought it was a very good parody but others disagreed, see below links

The lyrics went....

Oh Melanie
You say you really love me
You say that I'm the best thing that's ever happened to you
Oh Melanie
You keep telling me you love me
You say that no one else in this cruel world has ever loved you like I do
Oh Melanie, honestly
There's something really troubling you
If what you say is true
Why do you continue to inject yourself?
Inject yourself, inject yourself
Oh, inject yourself, inject yourself, inject yoursel

Further chat on this

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=01/01/24/0753251 and https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=01/01/26/093221

Been nice to pop in, see you after I get vaccinated in 2024
i have this song on my phone,its by M s drummer andrew paresi,hes very good at doing voices.it fooled dutch radio into thinking it was M

I think that's true for most Morrissey recordings, to be honest. They sound timeless because he never tried to match a certain sound that was fashionable at the time. To the contrary, he often deliberately did something extremely unfashionable - see Kill Uncle and the rockabilly inspired follow up singles. Couldn't be further away from the Madchester sound.
His "britpop" album has two 10 minute bookend symphonies...
For me, Quarry has a terribly dated production. To be frank, it was already dated at the time of release. The "Dido" production of "I'm not sorry"...."I like you"....crap programmed drums....and so on

i have this song on my phone,its by M s drummer andrew paresi,hes very good at doing voices.it fooled dutch radio into thinking it was M
Thanks for the info.

Sunny is also said to be about Jake, so it makes sense. And the plot thickens...

Can anyone else confirm the rumour I heard back in the day that this was initially intended as the lead track of an underwear-themed EP?

No they underwear is vinyl

Jokes apart : Vauxhall and I , Boxers. , Sunny , Alain , Steve Lillywhite , Portsmouth Guildhall 1995 , les Inrocks interview
Those were the solo career times ....

For me, Quarry has a terribly dated production. To be frank, it was already dated at the time of release. The "Dido" production of "I'm not sorry"...."I like you"....crap programmed drums....and so on
Yes, I can see that. I'm not particularly fond of Quarry's production myself (with some exceptions).

That's why I said most.

It's not too late for a retrospective bottom-themed compilation along these lines, maybe something for Record Store Day?
How about this for a tracklisting:
Boxers
Let the Right One Slip In
Wide to Receive
Home is a Skid Mark (alternate lyric version)

I just watched Introducing Morrissey for the umpteenth time and it's still the bestest recorded live thing in existence.🥊🖤🥊

Also, the fact that dressing up for Saturday night concert films on my couch has become a thing for me in lockdown is depressing.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom