Morrissey A-Z: "At Last I Am Born"

This one requires a little different style of Turkey Steppin'.
Ya almost wanna call it a Ceremonial Steppin'.
It's kinda like more walkin' and presentin' than Steppin'.
This one's a great song so ya wanna make sure it's done right.

How does anyone not lurvve this song? There is a joy and energy to it that I find so infectious.

I don't know folks. This one sah-hucks for me. So stilted and forced, I'd go so far to say it is contrived.

Like Versa above - I tried to like it, but I actually end up angry at Moz and Mikey Farrell. It is one song where I do not allow myself to finish it. I get up and hit the button for the next song.

MrShoes
But it's the last song on the record!

But it's the last song on the record!
Fair enough. That may be correct, but that does that matter? In this day and age there is no such thing as the "last song". Unless you otherwise program your device, songs just keep playing from one to the next.

More importantly, you've missed my point. I don't care for the song enough to move along to the next. And for Morrissey, that's significant. It's not as it we are talking about a Chumbawamba B-side!

And now to shake things up...

MrShoes

I feel like the music and the production on this song are bigger than the lyric. I listened to a couple of live versions of it to get a more organic sound. The vocal on the album version sounds nice but also because of the effects sounds like it's one of a collection of assembled parts.
The sort of surf guitar piece that comes up briefly a couple of times also sounds pretty good. It reminded me of a Devo guitar sound. It's all really stylized and draws from a wider range of sounds than was used on Years of Refusal. I think Mikey added a lot to the band and was glad to see that version of the band live.
Until this thread I've never listened to this song by itself but I think it's a good album closer. Opinions seem divided on this one but I'd put it about the middle of the list on Ringleader.

I love this album and this song is one of my favorites. It's weird but it's so charming in this kind of strangeness.

A lousy closer to a lousy album. I vividly remember trying to enjoy this one when it came out and I just couldn't do it. Waves of nausea by the time the children's choir comes in. Respect to Mikey Farrell, but it's not always a good idea to democratize the writing process within a band.

I saw the live debut of this one as well as six other Ringleader tracks and felt turned off by all but maybe two of them. Weird gig.
do you like anything.this alphabet of M s songs will really be lost on you.

Fair enough. That may be correct, but that does that matter? In this day and age there is no such thing as the "last song". Unless you otherwise program your device, songs just keep playing from one to the next.

More importantly, you've missed my point. I don't care for the song enough to move along to the next. And for Morrissey, that's significant. It's not as it we are talking about a Chumbawamba B-side!

And now to shake things up...

MrShoes

one of the worst songs ever to come out of the uk.chumbawumba,sounds like a toddlers first sentence.they dont make them like that anymore,thank f u c k.

Claude brasseurerrrrrr

I LOVE this song as it’s done live, it’s so good with the cymbals crashing.
But, unfortunately, I dislike the album version as I find it too soft and overproduced and I can’t stand the kiddie choir. Live, however, with the band members singing the “la la…” backup part is great!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom