Morrissey A-Z: "At Last I Am Born"

The differences of opinion on this one are so interesting!

Yeah man - look what you gone and done Bookie! Its either a pleasant discord and elevated exchange of ideas, or pure hot-white hatred of our fellow Moz fans. There is no in between at Moz-Solo.

MrShoes

Last edited:
One of my relatives wrote a book about Goethe & perpetually gets enraged when I forget how to pronounce his name. I can't remember my own name most days!!

I think Moz was aiming for a kind of operatic high camp in the late 00s, early 10s... but he didn't quite manage it. His earthy sense of humour & authentic pain probably tripped him up. You have to go full mad scene Joan Sutherland for that kind of thing. Or full Lypsinka.

I was just mouthing the pronunciation to Goethe as I read the earlier message!

MrShoes

I was just mouthing the pronunciation to Goethe as I read the earlier message!

MrShoes

Haha, I'd say the "English" pronunciation in this video is actually closer to the correct pronunciation than what they refer to as the "German" way!

On a vaguely related side note - I had a dream about Morrissey in which he said he was taking over Sally Bowles.

Possibly because I was watching Dame Judi last night.

"Ich glaub, jetzt hat sie's!"
Hurrying to Google is about right.

Does Stephane pay u royalties to cough up information from his site so u can try to appear like u know things?

Are all the songs gonna get u digging up every itsy bitsy thing on that site or are u capable of original thought. :sleeping:

Does Stephane pay u royalties to cough up information from his site so u can try to appear like u know things?

Are all the songs gonna get u digging up every itsy bitsy thing on that site or are u capable of original thought. :sleeping:

I do know things u bitter old bore.

Good lord. Just enjoy the exchange - or don't. I tend to enjoy most of what goes on here. If you don't like something - no need to be acerbic. Maybe follow your own advice and Duck Duck - go.

Musical bombast - yes ! Well-spoken.

I always felt a little uneasy hearing these words sung by a middle-aged man.
A better interpretation is probably that Morrissey felt liberated being finally able to express such feelings in public, which would explain the exuberance and joy that really shines through on this track. I also find the solemn intro very promising.
So I can see why people might like the song, and yet it doesn't resonate with me. I find myself hitting the stop bottom on ROTT 2 or 3 songs before the end.

Without trying to be crass, he appeared happy in Rome (at least in the intimacy department) and I find a lot of the tone of this song & album kind of illustrates that - his comments/fondness regarding the place in interviews around the time seems to reinforce this also.
Regards,
FWD.

I always felt a little uneasy hearing these words sung by a middle-aged man.
A better interpretation is probably that Morrissey felt liberated being finally able to express such feelings in public, which would explain the exuberance and joy that really shines through on this track. I also find the solemn intro very promising.
So I can see why people might like the song, and yet it doesn't resonate with me. I find myself hitting the stop bottom on ROTT 2 or 3 songs before the end.
I find myself hitting the stop button about 12 songs before the end!
Such a disappointing album. Pigsty is great, In the Future's pretty good and Anybody's Hero is nice enough but the rest of it just seems weak/unmemorable to me.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom