Morrissey A-Z: "America Is Not the World"

For me it is one of the weakest songs on the album, I could definitely remove it for one of the b-sides such as Friday Mourning

Such a weak effort. It made me question Morrissey's taste and judgement on this album, especially after he had seven years to work on quality stuff. I suppose we can always hearken back to those heady days of Dagenham Dave for lyrical sophistication.

Come on everybody now -

Dagenham Dave, Dagenham Dave
Oh, Dagenham Dave
Oh, Dagenham Dave

MrShoes

Really poor. One of his worst songs.

Such a weak effort. It made me question Morrissey's taste and judgement on this album, especially after he had seven years to work on quality stuff. I suppose we can always hearken back to those heady days of Dagenham Dave for lyrical sophistication.

Come on everybody now -

Oh, Dagenham Dave
Oh, Dagenham Dave

MrShoes

That's the point of Dagenham though - yearning to be uncomplicated.

Also it's got my name in it, so is clearly fabulous.

And he's hot.

20210117_143205.jpg

I like it apart from the line "For haven't you me, with you now?". It just smacks of big-headedness - it just feels like the whole song reads as "America, you are pretty shite, but you should be amazing and caring and better now, because I'm here, in all my swollen-headed glory'. It' as though Morrissey is positioning himself as the new heart and soul of America.

That's the point of Dagenham though - yearning to be uncomplicated.

Also it's got my name in it, so is clearly fabulous.

And he's hot.

View attachment 67644
This part alone is so great that it cancels out the repetitiveness of the chorus

He'd love to touch
He's afraid that he might self-combust
I could say more
But you get the general idea

And I love you
I just wish you'd stay where you is

1989:

America.jpg

When I first heard this thing, it was the first new Moz song I'd heard since the Maladjusted stuff.
I remember I'd been waitin' for weeks for the Quarry record to come out and it was pretty excitin' at the time.
Always gonna think fondly of this thing just for that reason alone.
When those drums came on it was kinda different for a Moz song and then he starts singin' "America..."
The songs makes me think of how America always acts like it's about one thing, but seems to always do
and be the exact opposite.
Even when the reality of America don't fit the narrative of America, people still go on defendin' the narrative,
so that they can keep believin' in the dream of America.

When I first heard this thing, it was the first new Moz song I'd heard since the Maladjusted stuff.
I remember I'd been waitin' for weeks for the Quarry record to come out and it was pretty excitin' at the time.
When those drums came on it was kinda different for a Moz song and then he starts singin' "America..."
The songs makes me think of how America always acts like it's about one thing, but seems to always do
Even when the reality of America don't fit the narrative of America, people still go on defendin' the narrative,
Yes, as in last week: "That's not who we are". Well OK, but it kind of is.

all we need is one foot in the grave biden to pop his clogs then klimala to come out and M will complete the black female and gay nod.
i remember buying quarry on a friday night in tesco and on first listen it was like a new sound,hamburger is a bit duff lyrically but always liked the album and dykes is fantastic.
M has always said he writes as a male and a female and as a third person so dont get too hung up on the meaning of his lyrics,they could mean anything.

Morrissey does agree with everything 'woke' except hounding randoms on Twitter because they said something stupid.
No he doesn't. Woke are for open borders, apologising for Islamic extremism and multiculturalism to the point of destroying the very nation it lives in. I think you'll find Morrissey doesn't not subscribe to any of that nonsense. I think he secretly cringes that he wrote this song.

Yeah agree, it was just nice to hear something new again. And M knew that, so he thought he would throw us (gift us with?) the curve ball that was “America Is Not The World”. It wasn’t foul nor was it a strike against him in my book.

:cool:

“presidents come, presidents go...”

Last edited:
No he doesn't. Woke are for open borders, apologising for Islamic extremism and multiculturalism to the point of destroying the very nation it lives in. I think you'll find Morrissey doesn't not subscribe to any of that nonsense. I think he secretly cringes that he wrote this song.

Almost no one supports open borders, his ideas about cultures retaining their identity fits anti-colonialism, his objections to Islamic extremism are about homophobia, feminism & animal welfare (for over 15 years he blamed American foreign policy like every other leftie).

He got into trouble because he's older, likes to make acidic remarks & appears to get his information from the internet, books & gossip.

I doubt he regrets that song.

It seems, as per usual, that you have no idea what you're talking about. Go hug a cop, clown.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom