Morrissey A-Z: 'All The Young People Must Fall In Love'

Just a heads up - I’m not sure I’ll be able to do these everyday, so if anyone wants to give me a helping hand to keep this catalogue going feel free. Anyone can do it, if you have a spare moment. Thanks in advance :).

Dear Mr President by Pink came to mind. There is a genre of teenage "protest" songs whose intention (or maybe outcome) is not really to exert pressure on politicians in an effective way or any way at all. They are striving for harmony, inclusion and understanding far too much, and consequently won't be taken seriously by anybody in power. There is something pitiful but also irritating about this sort of lament. With regard to "All them young folks must fall in love" the same inconsequential principle is at work, they are far too nice. It's more about bonding within the group, showing the others that you are a kind and loveable person to connect to, just like your mum and dad and the rest of the lovely family, and not so much about achieving a change in the world outside the peer group. The slightly accusatory tone reminds me of "Teenage Dad" a bit.
This was written before Greta, wasn't it?

I only know half of the LIHS album. And I like this song the least of the six I know.
🙃

Again, thanks to GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn for reminding me of this one :)(I really should get a better method of cataloguing these).
What you you think of 'All The Young People...'?

Love this track. "All we are saying, is give peace a chance"

LIHS is without a doubt his worst ever album, and this song is just one of many clunkers on it. Not the worst song on the album, but still quite worthless.

It's quite a sweet wee song - terrible things happen in the world, but we still fall in love the same as we ever did.

LIHS is without a doubt his worst ever album, and this song is just one of many clunkers on it. Not the worst song on the album, but still quite worthless.
I think the last 3 are not very good, 4 if you factor in Cali Sun.

N
I think the last 3 are not very good, 4 if you factor in Cali Sun.
I think Dog is a huge improvement. Both musically and lyrically. Other than that, I agree with you.

A half-written song with the kind of production that renders it sounding like a novelty track. There was probably a better way to do this one.

It was in the group of songs from LIHS I heard before the album was out. Initially I was fond of it - thought it was catchy, etc. Once I heard LIHS in its entirety, I kind of checked out and haven't revisited any of the songs since then.

N

I think Dog is a huge improvement. Both musically and lyrically. Other than that, I agree with you.
Funny one this. I think live, performances sound better since the addition of keyboards in 04, because listen back, the sound was not very good without. But the flip side, the music and albums have took a down turn since the end of the 7 year hiatus. That’s how I personally view it. I buy everything Morrissey releases, on multi formats and turn up for a fair few gigs but, the music output hasn’t been as good as it was ore 97.

Totally agree with you & SuedeMoz, his worst album. The impact of 2 really poor studio albums, and waiting 3 years between them (WPINOYB and LIHS) - I gave up on Moz for a while.

Last edited:
Not sure why that's funny, Ket. :straightface:

Totally agree with you & SuedeMoz, his worst album. The impact of 2 really poor studio albums, and waiting 3 years between them (WPINOYB and LIHS) - I gave up on Moz for a while.
Understandable. How do you feel about Dog?

"Correct opinion."

Lol.

All The Young People Must Fall In Love

A brilliant little number, let down by it’s arrangement and production.

Long long live all the young people must fall in love !!!!

well, the right people get it and dig it

:tiphat:

Tags
a-z all the young people must fall in love bob clearmountain low in high school morrissey morrissey a-z solo
Back
Top Bottom