Morrissey A-Z: "(A) Song from Under the Floorboards"

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's cover of this Magazine composition (Devoto, Adamson, Doyle, Formula, McGeogh), from their 1980 album The Correct Use of Soap. Morrissey's version appears on the B-side of "The Youngest Was the Most Loved".

What do we think?

A fitting cover due to the Accept Yourself link, I enjoyed hearing this as part of the live theatre shows in 2006.

Morrissey's voice is the best thing about it, but the musicianship is perfectly acceptable.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 151st from 264 solo songs.

I’ve always enjoyed this song, a very good B side, Better than the A side for me..
It’s another one of them covers where you actually think Morrissey wrote the words .

Love the original, love Magazine, love Howard Devoto and love this cover. There is a chap near me who I see walking out & about on an almost daily basis - he looks a bit like Howard, and I am always reminded of his great music. I also adore his sole solo album, Jerky Versions of the Dream. Should be more famous of course...

always liked this,voice is good without having to do too much,music is fine.
7 alives/10 kickings.vivamozzonasaturdaymorningitsgreattobealiveitsbetterthanbeingdead.

But you wouldn’t know Gordy...

You’ve never been dead ...
Or have you?
will give it a go baz and let you know how i got on,might be fantastic,all those scantily clad angels.

Great vocals on this one without much effort. Not one I'd rush to seek out & play, but it's a good cover.
I like the scaling retro organ sound on this one. :thumb:

I really think he ought to pull this out at the Gooodbye Cruel World festival next year.
It will go down well with the nostalgic folk for the early 1980s new wave.
And the opening line of the song couldn’t suit him better these days:
i am angry, I am ill and I am ugly as sin.

The above are also the reasons why I love the cover, used to play it a lot, then got tired of it, and now rediscovered it.

Not even Some Say I Got Devil? Or Wedding Bell Blues?
No nothing, I was really hoping for some stuff he's done live, like You say you don't love me. It's only a personal view and appreciate a lot of people liked CS but it did nothing for me.

No nothing, I was really hoping for some stuff he's done live, like You say you don't love me. It's only a personal view and appreciate a lot of people liked CS but it did nothing for me.
Fair enough. I was hugely disappointed in the song choices, but felt he did good on at least a few cuts. If I had my way, he'd be doing a full record of Elvis and maybe a few other of that same generation, and then another of (deep cuts) Sinatra. I'd rather take that than a new album of original material, to be honest.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom