Morrissey- a spent force chart-wise?

Perhaps his promotion is a little old fashioned:

Look how bob dylan promoted his new album

No offical word of an up coming release at all right up until the last minute- not from the artist himself or the offical website.

No use of the internet for news updates - noone even knew he was in the studio - the internet was a terrible source of solid information - just vague rumour - they don't kill the rumour by drowning it in fact - they let it fester

Early special listening sessions with handpicked critics give them a scoop -"There is a new album - ive heard it - its great!"

All promotion happen via the printed media - one long and very good indepth interview (handpicked interviewer) split into 4 parts and given out in sequence to four news papers round the world - of course they are immediately scanned by fans and are only offically release to the internet a week after publication.

The lead single is the strongest track on the album.

Thats how to sell records these days.

for your interest

Perhaps his promotion is a little old fashioned:

Look how bob dylan promoted his new album

No offical word of an up coming release at all right up until the last minute- not from the artist himself or the offical website.

No use of the internet for news updates - noone even knew he was in the studio - the internet was a terrible source of solid information - just vague rumour - they don't kill the rumour by drowning it in fact - they let it fester

Early special listening sessions with handpicked critics give them a scoop -"There is a new album - ive heard it - its great!"

All promotion happen via the printed media - one long and very good indepth interview (handpicked interviewer) split into 4 parts and given out in sequence to four news papers round the world - of course they are immediately scanned by fans and are only offically release to the internet a week after publication.

The lead single is the strongest track on the album.

Thats how to sell records these days.

Actually Morrissey did the similar stuff in December 2008

Bob Dylan is getting worse. I would be delighted if Morrissey got a number one album, or better a single, but I think a lot of people on here have the right idea... He's FAR too good. x

do you really want morrissey to be one of those one-time chart toppers never to be heard again?

Macarena, etc.

Didn't YATQ get number one?

I can't see him ever charting well again.It's sad but then its the same for lots of artists.

To be fair Morrissey, nor The Smiths ever had great chart success, it doesnt detract from them at all tho! The Smiths were the most unique and original Group to ever come out of Britain. Morrissey is still writing excellant songs, atleast Skull actually deals with an interesting topic.

If the mainstream want to constantly fire lady gaga etc to the top let them, It's their embarasing decision to buy into that crap.

To be fair Morrissey, nor The Smiths ever had great chart success, it doesnt detract from them at all tho! The Smiths were the most unique and original Group to ever come out of Britain. Morrissey is still writing excellant songs, atleast Skull actually deals with an interesting topic.

If the mainstream want to constantly fire lady gaga etc to the top let them, It's their embarasing decision to buy into that crap.

The Smiths did alright in the charts. In the 80's you had to shift quite a few units to get a chart position.

Yeh i suppose you're right, I'm only 20 so don't remember much of the 80's :lbf:

It's interesting what Bob Dylan did for his new album though, maybe Moz should try something like that.

Hope he doesnt stop releasing singles.x

Re: for your interest

I think Smiler's point was more to do with building the mystery around a new album, getting people excited about it.

exactly - and managing and controlling the information that is released - crucially ignoring the internet.

Also tellingly the Dylan album didn't leak at all - only a handful of people knew it even exited a month before it was released. In the week before the release the main unoffical website banned even talking about the possibility of a leak

Months before YOR was released i'd heard most of it (on previous albums or live)

A month before YOR was released i'd heard it all due to a leak.

I don't think any true fan would want Morrissey to be "mainstream" if it meant selling out or compromising. But there is a frisson at seeing an iconoclastic hero infiltrating the upper reaches of the charts alongside the crap that's been mentioned here. Morrissey grew up obsessed with charts and record sales -- he'll never completely let it go.

The whole industry is in decline, don't forget. All artists are selling less physical copies with the difference between what Moz sells and what the #1 sells being negligible in the larger picture.

Looking back 20 years from now the Quarry era will be seen as a golden age for Morrissey in all respects. Prefer the latest record, though!

I think he'll go out with a great wallop, too.

How are the charts anything to go by when Shit like Lady Gaga is storming the charts with her vacuous 'pop' records.

Who ever wanted Morrissey to be mainstream?

Not me certainly.

the less people who like morrissey the better (wont.share.him)

The less people who buy his records, the less chance of a recording contract, the less chance of new material.

Morrissey has never struck me as the type to embrace the internet and record exclusive website material. He wants, in his ideal world, a number one album. On vinyl.

Look at how bad he/his company are at exploiting the potential of iTunes. It's embarrassing frankly.

There really is some drivel being spouted around here. Here's how I see it and you can decide whether you think it's worth anything or should be added to the drivel bucket...

The charts DO matter. Maybe not to you personally (in which case, this whole thread must bore your pants off) but to Morrissey and, more importantly, to the companies that spend a lot of money putting out his records. This is the music BUSINESS. Sad but true. If money is spent it needs to be recouped. If an artist repeatedly loses a label money then the label will no longer back them, regardless of who they are. Therefore if Morrissey continues to put out albums that don't sell very well, such as YoR and singles that don't even break the Top 40, let alone Top 20 where a label would want them, then the simple conclusion is that Morrissey will be dropped. Just because he's 'Morrissey' and you may love him doesn't mean he is immune from this. If you don't sell records then a label won't continue financing you. Simple. As. That. So on that topic then yes, Morrissey is currently in danger of becoming a dropped artist.

To those people who say stuff like "Oooh who cares, the charts are full of rubbish like Lady Gaga and Lily Allen and he's soooo much better anyway" I say this to you - grow up.
Firstly, if you choose to release a single in any format then you are putting yourself in the same field as those 'pop' artists. In some ways that's the beauty of the charts - a place where music of all kinds fights it out for the publics' attention. Each time Morrissey releases a new single he is putting himself out there as a product, just as Lady Gaga and Lily Allen are. Just because you don't personally like those artists doesn't mean that they aren't deserving of high chart positions - neither of them do much for me either but they work incredibly hard and I'm sure that they don't want to be playing endless TV shows, doing interviews with E4 numbskulls either - but the difference is they recognise that exposure helps you shift records, sitting in your mansion sulking and making out that you're above it only alienates from your audience. So I respect anyone that gets out there and works hard, regardless of the music they make. If I don't like it guess what - I don't have to listen to it and neither do you.
Also this is not a new phenomena - there have been bubblegum pop acts, mysogynistic hip hop novelty hits and summer cheesy dance hits around for years, go do a bit of research into what was in the charts the same week as Morrissey or The Smiths released every single so far. None of that stuff affected Morrissey getting good chart positions back then because the public were still interested. Right now the evidence is that the prospect of a new Morrissey single or album no longer excites the public as it once did.

I just think a lot of people are burying their head in the sand and can't face up to what the industry really is.

Morrissey, as a recording artist, is in trouble. I love the guy and have supported him for most of my years but lets be honest here, he's not the force he once was and perhaps his heart is no longer in it?
If he wanted to continue to tour then he'll be fine there, he never struggles to sell out live shows in UK. But as a recording artist getting high chart positions and large sales? I'm not so sure any more.

Morrissey, as a recording artist, is in trouble.

Yes but so are 95% of recording artists.
Other than U2, Coldplay, Madonna and the other 'stadium bands / artists' - everyone else is in the same boat.
Lilly Allen and Lady Gogo may shift singles (and as mentioned, doesn't take too many to chart high if you 'select' your week) - and a great number of those will be downloads rather than hard sales - but they don't shift that many albums.

Robbie Williams anyone?

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom