"Morrissey 25: Live" review by Charlotte O'Sullivan - London Evening Standard (3/5 stars)

Many members of The Audience have long tired of the inane co-dependent babblefest between Morrissey and his front row fan-atics. If he's really interested in probing all this, he could do a pre-concert Q&A or do a lecture tour for his autobiography. However, he's no Hitchens or Dawkins and his 'on the fly' debating skills are not exactly Stephen Fry level, never mind Oscar Wilde. Nowt wrong with that, but he can unintentionally send the wrong signal by not challenging inanities like "thank you for living". The correct response would be "Wake up before you drop dead: I'm here to sing a few songs. Nothing else."

I've never understood why people drone on at me (or you, or anyone) that we "spend too much time on here thinking about Morrissey". Not true. It's just a very funny place with a real cast of characters. And it seems to have a realistic and genuine attempt at a 'free speech' policy.With Edward Snowden's revelations, I've been thinking a lot about your Fourth Amendment: we have no such thing here.

The ones that make such comments don't seem to get it and tend to be a bit dull and dim. And not very good at interacting with a diverse group of folks.

I too appreciate the freedom we are afforded here to express ourselves pretty liberally. At the same time, I am glad that blatant racist, sexist, and homophobic remarks are not tolerated. I don't like those things.

If you do a blog here, there's a ready audience. So long as you enjoy it, why not continue?

Boats are very restorative, though I wouldn't fancy sailing one towards Iceland in the winter! We have cruises around the islands of Britain and Ireland but it's hugely expensive. I'd love to do it in a smaller boat, but that's probably not going to happen. I like George Clooney in "Perfect Storm". Waves in motion are very relaxing, even when they're rough. "Seasick, yet docked". A strange song.....!

Ya, a luxury yacht would be divine. But even a small boat with a trolling motor would put a smile on my face. The Perfect Storm... sad, sad movie. Tragic. Haunting. :( Seasick, strangely wonderful.

The ones that make such comments don't seem to get it and tend to be a bit dull and dim. And not very good at interacting with a diverse group of folks.

I too appreciate the freedom we are afforded here to express ourselves pretty liberally. At the same time, I am glad that blatant racist, sexist, and homophobic remarks are not tolerated. I don't like those things.

Ya, a luxury yacht would be divine. But even a small boat with a trolling motor would put a smile on my face. The Perfect Storm... sad, sad movie. Tragic. Haunting. :( Seasick, strangely wonderful.

You seemed to like those things when you championed the three mental patients. :squiffy: Did listening to a bunch of Morrissey songs the last few weeks while looking for an angle to justify even posting here help you to see the light? :p

You seemed to like those things when you championed the three mental patients. :squiffy: Did listening to a bunch of Morrissey songs the last few weeks while looking for an angle to justify even posting here help you to see the light? :p

Do I smell something nasty? Ah yes. I see the garbage collectors are still on strike. You are still here stinking up the place.

Do I smell something nasty? Ah yes. I see the garbage collectors are still on strike. You are still here stinking up the place.

Pardon me for not playing along that you are a sensible, educated, misunderstood Morrissey fan.

Pardon me for not playing along that you are a sensible, educated, misunderstood Morrissey fan.

You need the right equipment to play along. Stick with your own kind. We'd never be friends in real life. We will NEVER be friends here. First rule of Friendship Club: must be kind. You, are not kind. Membership denied.

I don't want to get in the middle of your scintillating argument, but there were people here (who, so i gather, don't seem to be posting right now) that would frequently and happily tell someone that something they said was "gay". I get the argument that language can change and all that and that the person describing something they think is bad or stupid as "gay" isn't necessarily a full on homophobe, but saying that clearly connotes a certain viewpoint to a sizeable group of people. This was allowed to continue without a mod stepping in. So saying that language of a certain type is not tolerated seems pretty damn gay.

You need the right equipment to play along. Stick with your own kind. We'd never be friends in real life. We will NEVER be friends here. First rule of Friendship Club: must be kind. You, are not kind. Membership denied.

Okay, well when you die and it's posted here for your friends and family to read, I'll be sure not to say you're in a better place since that's what kind people do. :thumb:

I don't want to get in the middle of your scintillating argument, but there were people here (who, so i gather, don't seem to be posting right now) that would frequently and happily tell someone that something they said was "gay". I get the argument that language can change and all that and that the person describing something they think is bad or stupid as "gay" isn't necessarily a full on homophobe, but saying that clearly connotes a certain viewpoint to a sizeable group of people. This was allowed to continue without a mod stepping in. So saying that language of a certain type is not tolerated seems pretty damn gay.

Ya, and I was not one of those people. I am mine. I am not responsible for what others say. I am an outspoken atheist. Those guys cringed at my non-belief rhetoric, as they don't share my sentiments. But did they try to censor me? No. They said many things on here that I didn't agree with. There was/is no group think here. I can get along with just about anyone from any station in life. We all have strengths and weaknesses. I look for the good in everyone. I like this about myself.

As far as calling something gay, well, I think it is lame and lazy. But most likely done by someone looking to get a rise out of someone. Others toss out the term, pseudo intellectual, when they want to insult someone who they feel intellectually threatened by. It is always a tool of the intellectually handicapped, as I have NEVER witnessed an intelligent person using that term. But this is not considered derogatory and inappropriate for some reason. Nothing is scared. Words only have the meaning and power we give them. What you find offensive and hurtful may have no effect upon me. And vice versa.

I never suggested that you had used that term. I was just refuting your statement that such things were not tolerated when i've seen language that some people would consider homophobic flourish here.

I think pseudo intellectual is a fine term with a clearly defined meaning. It's part of your argument though so i don't really want to comment. Have fun.

I never suggested that you had used that term. I was just refuting your statement that such things were not tolerated when i've seen language that some people would consider homophobic flourish here.

I think pseudo intellectual is a fine term with a clearly defined meaning. It's part of your argument though so i don't really want to comment. Have fun.

And gay is a clearly defined term as well, and appropriate, in the proper context. I'm sorry, but calling a message board poster--someone who is simply being themselves--a pseudo intellectual is insulting. It is serves no purpose other than to marginalize and harass that person. It points out no great truths. People who are intelligent don't try to be intelligent. Either they are or they aren't.

I like George Clooney in "Perfect Storm". Waves in motion are very relaxing, even when they're rough. "Seasick, yet docked". A strange song.....!
all true, actually I remember seeing "Perfect Storm" on plane flight to London :D there was some pretty serious turbulence as we crossed the Atlantic :eek:
I think it really set the mood for the flight :lbf: others did not agree :cool:

anyways, 3/5, not bad for the old hack, right? :thumb:

Some take morrissey too seriously, he says a lot of things for a laugh, he really is very funny. I do hope he is doing at least ok, please , please at least do a gig in la, there are so many places that would love to have him. Johnny marr at fonda in nov, any one else have the fantasy , just one song

Those people aren't here at the moment because they're at boot camp immersing themselves in Radical Queer/Feminist discourse so they can stop making fools of themselves. The gay word, like the queer world is contextual. Let's not forget the dramas of the N-word. Reclaiming an oppressive label is very different from attempting to re-stigmatise it. Those 3 Mental Patients are like Vladimir Putin, always boasting about their macho crap. Like Putin, they perhaps protest a bit too much and might find a few things rising up in therapy to explain their OCD heteronormative attempts at policing the banter on this site:

"Valdi Queer: Is President Valdimir Putin queer? Well, he is certainly odd, bizarre and abnormal when it comes to democracy & human rights. But what about his sexuality? Who knows or cares. He’s a tyrant, regardless of whether he’s gay, straight or bisexual. Let’s hope he’s not queer. It would give LGBTs a bad name. However, you do have to wonder with all his bare-chested macho posturing: horse riding, fishing, judo and scuba diving. Does Valdimir profess his heterosexual masculinity a little too much? I wonder. What do you think?"

Peter Tatchell

Last edited:

Evidence please. Links/screenshots, that sort of thing.

P.

Why are you back home so early? Didn't you want to go to any of the after-show parties? I bet Leeds City Centre is humming with ecstatic Morrissey fans, weeping and ululating with joy at having witnessed this filmic spectacular. I can't WAIT! I bet I won't sleep tonight and gorge on popcorn and soda during the whole thing. I hope I don't get carried away and start singing along and trying to rush the screen. I will bring along a Gucci shirt soaked in amazingly expensive designer scent and rip it up and throw it to the other patrons. Afterwards, we will all exchange social media details and will meet regularly in a nice pub to share our latest passionate feelings about Morrissey.

Thank you for sharing your bliss tonight. It makes the pain of waiting another 18 hours almost bearable.

with gratitude.

I... errrr... didn't go.

I... errrr... didn't go.

I know. My intern clicked the wrong button to type my dictated reply. I was replying to this from 'Herge65':

"Just got back from the Leeds screening.

This was far from 'unremarkable'!

The fact that this was an intimate gig helped place us right in the thick of it. I felt that the film genuinely conveyed the atmosphere of a Moz gig for me!

Great set list...great performance...great audio! Complimentary editing and production!

Worth seeing at the cinema!

Looking forward to owning the blu-ray! "

regards

Some take morrissey too seriously, he says a lot of things for a laugh, he really is very funny. I do hope he is doing at least ok, please , please at least do a gig in la, there are so many places that would love to have him. Johnny marr at fonda in nov, any one else have the fantasy , just one song

Oh yes please "Morrissey I love you thank you for living" "Please bless me Morrissey for I am un-clean and have eaten the flesh of animals"
"Morrissey I love you and your band is the best in the whole wide world" "Oh Morrissey I hate William and Kate and the royal family just like you, would you like me to put some salt on your fries ? "

Benny-the-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom