"Morrissey – from pioneer to pariah" on P3 (Swedish radio documentary - February 14, 2023)

Released today Feb 14th 2023 on channel P3 (Swedish national radio):
https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/morrissey-fran-pionjar-till-paria

full

Info (translated with google translate):

Morrissey - from pioneer to pariah (62 min)
This is the story of an outspoken indie pioneer who went from worshiped to cancelled.

The summer of 1992 has been unusually rainy in London, but on Saturday 8 August the sun shines on the 30,000 concertgoers in Finsbury Park. The operatic voice booms as Morrissey enters the stage. His blue jeans are quite tight and the shiny gold shirt is unbuttoned all the way to the navel. But the audience is moderately impressed.

The cult-declared ska-pop band Madness is behind the Madstock festival, and Morrissey has been invited at the last minute. The former The Smiths frontman therefore does not have very many supporters in front of the stage. Instead, the audience this day consists largely of far-right skinheads. But it's only during the second song that the mood gets really bad. Because suddenly Morrissey picks up a British flag from the stage floor, which he dances around with and sweeps over his shoulders. Out in the audience, boos are mixed with homophobic slurs, and objects are thrown onto the stage. The skinheads don't think it's appropriate that the queer Morrissey wraps himself in their Union Jack.

The gig leads to night-black headlines in the British music press, but the focus is not on the fact that Morrissey was heckled and subjected to homophobia. Instead, the articles are about Morrissey's flirtation with right-wing nationalist aesthetics having gone too far.

P3 Music documentary about Morrissey is the story of the Brit who in the 80s revolutionized pop music and became known for always kicking upwards, but who in recent years has been accused of the opposite.

The documentary was made by Joanna Korbutiak in January 2023
Producer Siri Hill
Executive producer Hanna Frelin
Technician Fredrik Nilsson.

Cast: Andres Lokko, Jasmine Rhya Rosenlund and Lovisa Sandberg.

The audio clips in the documentary come from Top of The Pops (BBC 1983), The One Show (BBC 2009), Granada Report (1984), Jools Holland (BBC 1995), Guitar Interactive Magazine (2013), AP (1984), Radio X ( 2018), Larry King (2015), Front Row (BBC Radio 2009), The Importance of Being Morrissey (2002), the concert film Wolverhampton 88, the Rolling Rockvideos and Sam Esty Rayner Youtube accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
when in doubt bring up finsbury park,its the usual dull stuff from dull people.
bad news is a hundred times more popular than good news,media and news channels pray for a ukraine war or a turkey earthquake,good news gets the final 30 seconds as they shuffle their papers and say goodnight.

All I know is that in 1991, 1992 Morrissey and his band looked cool and rocked hard. When people go to Morrissey concerts today, they dress like Morrissey from that era. He could do no wrong back then as far as I'm concerned.

Have I ever mentioned that singing "London is dead, London is dead" to 29,500 pissed-up Madness fans in London antagonised them a bit? They took it as an insult.

All I know is that in 1991, 1992 Morrissey and his band looked cool and rocked hard. When people go to Morrissey concerts today, they dress like Morrissey from that era. He could do no wrong back then as far as I'm concerned.
Let’s face it, most dress more like football fans (at least in the UK). A harrington T-shirt/polo and trainers (brogues or DMs for the better heeled) has been de rigueur for ages.

Ironically, most of Morrissey’s audience would fit seamlessly in at Madness gigs. I do.

As for more fresh faced fanatics (amongst whom I include one of my kids and his mates), The Smiths look c.84-85 tends to be the reference, in my experience.

Nevertheless, nice to see you’re just an old romantic at heart.

Let’s face it, most dress more like football fans (at least in the UK). A harrington T-shirt/polo and trainers (brogues or DMs for the better heeled) has been de rigueur for ages.

Ironically, most of Morrissey’s audience would fit seamlessly in at Madness gigs. I do.

As for more fresh faced fanatics (amongst whom I include one of my kids and his mates), The Smiths look c.84-85 tends to be the reference, in my experience.

Nevertheless, nice to see you’re just an old romantic at heart.
I was born in 1967, same age as Alain Whyte. I am locked into that era. Great time to be 24, 25.

this was probably one of the first songs i remember as a very small boy,amazing how you remember these things and it never seems to leave you.

Well, I've listened to it and can exclusively inform you all that it's basically an account of Morrissey's career plus some Ueber-fan informing us that she used to looove him but then he became a racist and she can now no longer looove him. 💔
People like the uber-fan just want to deny reality. It's what woke is all about - denying reality. All that Moz has done over the years is point out reality in a very common sense way. But they want to say that reality isn't true. That 2 + 2 = 5. And then eventually reality bumps into you. And sometimes that is bruising. Nicola Sturgeon got very bruised clearly by bumping into reality. Swedish radio would do better to focus on the terrible descent into gang and gun violence seen across Swedish cities. I visited Sweden many years ago when I was a student. Such a beautiful, peaceful country. Not any more.

It's nice if some journalists somewhere are picking up on the homophobia.
Yes I agree
There is a huge element of that aimed at M, there always has been . The thing is though his gayness isn't the thing that is crashing his career .
It's the shit he says that has got him here - that said one of my Ex wives did say 'hes such a self hating fag , that's why he says this shit "
I will always remember that , as at the time I was a hardcore M fan and I thought she was talking shit . Now I don't know

Yes I agree
There is a huge element of that aimed at M, there always has been . The thing is though his gayness isn't the thing that is crashing his career .
It's the shit he says that has got him here - that said one of my Ex wives did say 'hes such a self hating fag , that's why he says this shit "
I will always remember that , as at the time I was a hardcore M fan and I thought she was talking shit . Now I don't know
I would disagree with your ex's assessment. Gay or straight or bi or whatever - being happy in life is all about getting to the point where you are comfortable in your own skin and like yourself. Sexuality is a part of that, of course, and being comfortable with your sexuality, but only a part. I know miserable straight people. I know happy gay people. I know happy straight people. I know miserable gay people. There are lots of other factors at play too. Social anxiety seems to be a factor for Moz - not being comfortable in the company of other people. And social anxiety can affect people of any sexuality. It's often found in poets and writers. An inability to express oneself in the social area of life, can sometimes lead to a heightened ability to express oneself in the artistic area of life. Shy people also have a tendency to think about things. Maybe they think too much. What you refer to as the 'shit' Morrissey says (I wouldn't use that word) I think is due to the fact that he thinks about things. Thinking about things isn't encouraged these days. We're encouraged to close our eyes and pretend that what they tell us on TV is real...

To narrow down my point, let's just say that people that go to Morrissey shows shouldn't have a problem with homosexuals. People who love Morrissey's music shouldn't have that issue either.

Another thing is that the 'journalists' are making this about Morrissey and division. Morrissey has united way more than he has divided. He truly is good (yet restless) on the inside and he's a very, very good artist. I can't possibly see how he 'inspires hate'. Regardless of BOT's eventuality, I think he can move forward - in positive ways - both personally and musically. Like many have said here, he is capable and can endure. Someone also mentioned how 'young' he is. :)

I grew up on a dairy farm, did you? I thought that's where you were coming from with the whole FARMER! (F*****!) thing. :) Yeah buddy, you can bet your boots they've shouted FARMER! at me before. Aww shucks, some folks just ain't right!
Yeah, no. I'm really not joking.
And homosexual? It's it 1970 again or still?

Yeah, no. I'm really not joking.
And homosexual? It's it 1970 again or still?

I think people understood what I was trying to say about Morrissey. I'm not gay and I'm very proud to be a Morrissey fan, with the latter being the more significant component of my life (to me). My joke was only to defuse the heaviness of your response, and I still believe it was one of my best ever 'jokes in text', though I guess that could be debatable...maybe. ;)

I'd like you to know that I can indeed appreciate being ostracized, feeling very out of place, and having people hate you for how you look, the way you speak/act, etc. Like a lot of people, most of those things for me happened as I was growing up. When I had the opportunity, as many of us do as we get older, I took a greater hold of the direction my life was going and now (fortunately) I don't have a lot of those types of moments anymore...rather most of my moments now are defined by such a 'life or death' heaviness to them - sometimes (honestly) I long for cheap bullies and trash talk.

I hope today you are full of identity, secure and that you face less aggressive ignorance than you had in the past - or even if you still do, that you're able to protect yourself and come out of it okay, always.

So true, I saw him then and it was just exhilarating, esp M and Alain together. It was a completely different vibe than the Smiths and I think just as good, maybe better at times. The visual was much better than that of the Smiths and they were like 'bitches, we are here to rock'

So true, I saw him then and it was just exhilarating, esp M and Alain together. It was a completely different vibe than the Smiths and I think just as good, maybe better at times. The visual was much better than that of the Smiths and they were like 'bitches, we are here to rock'
I was fortunate enough to see The Smiths live in 1986 with Craig Gannon in the lineup. Morrissey seems to love the 2 guitar attack, ala the New York Dolls. They were absolutely amazing. Life changing. The only thing that compares is Morrissey in 1991. I don't know if I could choose which was better. By 1992, Your Arsenal was huge and Morrissey was playing arenas! I saw him at The Palace of Auburn Hills, the former home of the Detroit Pistons! Still great but he was almost too big at this point.

I was fortunate enough to see The Smiths live in 1986 with Craig Gannon in the lineup. Morrissey seems to love the 2 guitar attack, ala the New York Dolls. They were absolutely amazing. Life changing. The only thing that compares is Morrissey in 1991. I don't know if I could choose which was better. By 1992, Your Arsenal was huge and Morrissey was playing arenas! I saw him at The Palace of Auburn Hills, the former home of the Detroit Pistons! Still great but he was almost too big at this point.

Same, saw them without Craig and with Craig, they were so much better with him in as the sound was far fuller.

To narrow down my point, let's just say that people that go to Morrissey shows shouldn't have a problem with homosexuals. People who love Morrissey's music shouldn't have that issue either.

Another thing is that the 'journalists' are making this about Morrissey and division. Morrissey has united way more than he has divided. He truly is good (yet restless) on the inside and he's a very, very good artist. I can't possibly see how he 'inspires hate'. Regardless of BOT's eventuality, I think he can move forward - in positive ways - both personally and musically. Like many have said here, he is capable and can endure. Someone also mentioned how 'young' he is. :)

I grew up on a dairy farm, did you? I thought that's where you were coming from with the whole FARMER! (F*****!) thing. :) Yeah buddy, you can bet your boots they've shouted FARMER! at me before. Aww shucks, some folks just ain't right!
Tell that the vast majority of young boys who've been abused by gaymen. 90% of pedos caught are gay. Wait till you've been 'hassled' by a queer 'cos he thought a young boy wearing a Smiths Candy darling tshirt was fair game. Luckily for me my knees break any nonce's balls.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom