Morrissey’s Publicist (Michael Pagnotta): He Was IMPOSSIBLE! - The Quintana Show / YouTube (April 11, 2022)

Screenshot_20220412-141722~2.png

Yeah, I think Sam’s just jumping to conclusions, fostered by the thinking that everyone is out to get Morrissey. And in a way, I don’t blame him.

IMDB:
Pagnotta founded Reach Media Relations, Inc., a New York City- based media and marketing firm, in November 1990, following stints at The Peter Max Studio, Rogers & Cowan and Straight Arrow Publishing (Rolling Stone, US). His clients have included many of the best known alternative, rock and pop artists of the past four decades including Prince, George Michael, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie's Tin Machine, The Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Clarence Clemmons, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Yaz (Yazoo), Tears For Fears, VCMG, Bush, Erasure, Book Of Love, Kid Moxie, Morrissey, The B-52's, Vince Clarke, Andy Bell, Paul Westerberg, John Cale, Donny Osmond, Debbie Gibson, Roxette, Engelbert Humperdink, Jack Jones, The Three Tenors and Johnny 'Rotten' Lydon among many others.

LA Times 1994:
"... Morrissey’s new publicist, New York-based Michael Pagnotta, doesn’t know what prompted the singer to bolt, but says it’s just the kind of thing that comes with the territory of a temperamental artist. He doesn’t think it will hurt the campaign..."

So now we have 3 sources that claim he was M’s publicist. Which could only mean… it’s not true !

;)

It's funny, Morrissey is always described as being hard to work with (mostly by outsiders, it has to be said), but looking at the longevity of his working relationships with the musicians in his band, this doesn't entirely appear to be the case, does it?
It actually seems to be the case with some people who are in charge of promoting his work (record labels, managers, publicists).

However, they never give much details because it's bad propaganda for them (i.e, bashing their former associates and giving a lot of details)...

... But probably it is not easy to promote him because he doesn't draw a line between his art and the ways in which he is promoted (an obvious case would be that absurdly expensive t-shirt brand with a red and white logo that obviously signed a contract with Morrissey as to release a t-shirt with a photo of him... But Morrissey was boycotting the whole thing after the T-shirt was released because he didn't like the photo... I assume most artists would simply pick the money and then probably think "hmmm... I don't like the photo, but it's just a t-shirt).

Wearing cashmere is a bit different from putting your name to, endorsing and actually profiting from the sale of a leather/suede product, wouldn't you say? I've been vegan for nearly ten years but I still have a few items made of leather and wool that I've worn from time to time.
100% hypocrisy.^

That would make more sense if it wasn't for the fact we've heard similar statements from pretty much every manager and record company insider since 1983. Morrissey is - in his own words - 'unmanagable'.
I am aware of Morrissey’s deeply entraîner mistrust of the corporate machine and managers (he’s had many), and what it implies for his working relations with those people. It was the timing of this statement that struck me as jumping on the bandwagon. And then contrasting Moz to Marr at a time when tensions between the two of them havé reached a new high.

I think the difference is that Morrissey is not a musician and he knows that. He needs someone to write the music for him and play the instruments. He's comfortable in the studio and on stage if he has amiable and reasonably talented musicians with him.

But promotion and doing any kind of publicity is very hard for him. And for some reason he seems to consider managers, publicist and such part of the big corporate machine working against him and not people who are trying to help him to achieve the success he so desperately craves.

I have absolutely no doubt that being Morrissey's publicist is a very hard job. But the interviewer should definitely have dragged some details or anecdotes out of this guy.
That’s a pretty fair take, but who’s this publicist and as if he’s above not wanting the easiest route for himself in regards to doing his job? I’ve been signed to labels, toured, released records and there’s always certain things management or the label want you to do that do little to nothing for you. Sometimes it’s for optics, sometimes it’s showing up to some obscure show in ghetto because you and the band are label mates. My point is, I was on a very low level of success and was being asked to do things I didn’t want to. They’ll try to convince you “this is how it’s done these days” and if you don’t want to do it, guess what? You’re labeled as difficult only so many times before you’re called uncooperative or even impossible. I’m sure being Morrissey’s publicist isn’t easy, but ultimately he’s the artist and all those insecurities help make him the artistic genius he is. So this publicist can chase clout somewhere else.

Nothing new, It’s been told many times by many managers and publicists and musicians that it’s difficult working with him, that he will randomly stop talking to you or that he will go sometime without paying you or you will get a letter from his attorneys or someone saying you’ve been fired, or your services are no longer required that sort stuff. Stephen Street told how Morrissey wasn’t paying him so he held up the release of interesting drug until he got his money and that finished they’re working relationship. It’s known that he is hard to work for.

I'm guessing as a publicist it was his job to try and get Morrissey to carry out some promotional activities to sell the albums - interviews, appearances etc. During the 'Vauxhall' period I remember we had Morrissey do a couple of signing sessions, which was great - but other than that I can't recall him doing much of anything.
There were shows booked in New York and Los Angeles in 94 I believe the LA show was going to be at the Olympic auditorium I can’t recall but it was after the release of vauxhall and I to support the album but they were canceled not sure if it was the manager or publicist who booked it but Morrissey said I think it was in the 97 kroq interview with Blade that he talked about those 94 shows cancelations that the manager or the publicist ran away with the situation which I find hard to believe and that even though the shows sold really well that many fans were relieved and thanked him for canceling, because they were in bad parts of town which is something else I don’t believe either.

It actually seems to be the case with some people who are in charge of promoting his work (record labels, managers, publicists).

However, they never give much details because it's bad propaganda for them (i.e, bashing their former associates and giving a lot of details)...

... But probably it is not easy to promote him because he doesn't draw a line between his art and the ways in which he is promoted (an obvious case would be that absurdly expensive t-shirt brand with a red and white logo that obviously signed a contract with Morrissey as to release a t-shirt with a photo of him... But Morrissey was boycotting the whole thing after the T-shirt was released because he didn't like the photo... I assume most artists would simply pick the money and then probably think "hmmm... I don't like the photo, but it's just a t-shirt).
If I remember correctly the problem was that he wanted them to use a photo taken by Sam. That whole episode with Supreme was a mistake from the start but even if it had been the right deal with the right brand he still sabotaged it. It would have been surprising if he hadn't. It's what he does.

IMDB:
Pagnotta founded Reach Media Relations, Inc., a New York City- based media and marketing firm, in November 1990, following stints at The Peter Max Studio, Rogers & Cowan and Straight Arrow Publishing (Rolling Stone, US). His clients have included many of the best known alternative, rock and pop artists of the past four decades including Prince, George Michael, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie's Tin Machine, The Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Clarence Clemmons, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Yaz (Yazoo), Tears For Fears, VCMG, Bush, Erasure, Book Of Love, Kid Moxie, Morrissey, The B-52's, Vince Clarke, Andy Bell, Paul Westerberg, John Cale, Donny Osmond, Debbie Gibson, Roxette, Engelbert Humperdink, Jack Jones, The Three Tenors and Johnny 'Rotten' Lydon among many others.

LA Times 1994:
"... Morrissey’s new publicist, New York-based Michael Pagnotta, doesn’t know what prompted the singer to bolt, but says it’s just the kind of thing that comes with the territory of a temperamental artist. He doesn’t think it will hurt the campaign..."

Is the Los Angeles Times article about the video for Hold on to your friends? In Autobiography Morrissey writes about Dirk Bogarde refusing permission to use segments of the film The Blue Lamp, and so Morrissey went to Chelsea in London hoping to speak to Dirk in person, but he saw that he was too ill and abandoned the idea.

bb are you expecting people on here to write to you,what is with writing the address of where you are currently residing.iv sent you a big shit through the post,should be with you in a day or two.ps.two words that dont go together is mediocre and M.
I don't accept correspondence from 'randoms'...like yourself.

Morrissey is, sadly, entirely mediocre far too often. Let's all hope his mothballed opus 'Wicker Man Kiddies Set Fire' finally gets a release after the initial glut of post-lockdown pension fund complilations and tours works through the system.

Kind regards

BrummieBoy
The 'Greene King' Royal
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
England.

Easter Saturday

I don't accept correspondence from 'randoms'...like yourself.

Morrissey is, sadly, entirely mediocre far too often. Let's all hope his mothballed opus 'Wicker Man Kiddies Set Fire' finally gets a release after the initial glut of post-lockdown pension fund complilations and tours works through the system.

Kind regards

BrummieBoy
The 'Greene King' Royal
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
England.

Easter Saturday
im eating a packet of randoms as we speak.
scunthorpe,the only word to contain the word c--t in it.

im eating a packet of randoms as we speak.
scunthorpe,the only word to contain the word c--t in it.
How dare you be so rude about Scunthorpe. It's a delightful place. Very multicultural and buzzy.

I wonder if The Baths Hall is on Morrissey's forthcoming back to the pre-botox roots 'Mea Culpa' tour? Fellow conspiracy theorist Russell Brand is coming here to 'educate the masses' too.

I doubt he'll be risking an arena tour until he's sure he's been forgiven. And I've no doubt he'll issue the required apology once he realises 'we' are serious about holding him to account for egregious click-bait trolling of controversies. He will remain in media limbo-purgatory until i authorize conditional parole. You probably think I'm joking but, trust me...I'm not.

Off to York once I drain this delicious Greene King IPA on a sunny day in Scunny.

How dare you be so rude about Scunthorpe. It's a delightful place. Very multicultural and buzzy.

I wonder if The Baths Hall is on Morrissey's forthcoming back to the pre-botox roots 'Mea Culpa' tour? Fellow conspiracy theorist Russell Brand is coming here to 'educate the masses' too.

I doubt he'll be risking an arena tour until he's sure he's been forgiven. And I've no doubt he'll issue the required apology once he realises 'we' are serious about holding him to account for egregious click-bait trolling of controversies. He will remain in media limbo-purgatory until i authorize conditional parole. You probably think I'm joking but, trust me...I'm not.

Off to York once I drain this delicious Greene King IPA on a sunny day in Scunny.
Morrissey? apologise? unlikely.

There were shows booked in New York and Los Angeles in 94 I believe the LA show was going to be at the Olympic auditorium I can’t recall but it was after the release of vauxhall and I to support the album but they were canceled not sure if it was the manager or publicist who booked it but Morrissey said I think it was in the 97 kroq interview with Blade that he talked about those 94 shows cancelations that the manager or the publicist ran away with the situation which I find hard to believe and that even though the shows sold really well that many fans were relieved and thanked him for canceling, because they were in bad parts of town which is something else I don’t believe either.
A friend of mine and her husband ran a small PR firm in the '90s, and Morrissey was one of their clients. They signed an NDA and have never spoken about him publicly, but they privately regaled me with tales of Morrissey showing up at a theatre, seeing the lines snaking around the block, freaking out and simply refusing to play. According to her, at least he felt somewhat bad about it afterwards.

They had arranged several very high profile interviews with major mags like Rolling Stone, got people to fly to LA just to interview him, and he just f***ed off to his mother's house, unplugged the phones and was basically unreachable for weeks at a time when he could have broken through to the majors in America. He absolutely undermined his own career.

They describe him as ridiculously talented and (to her at least) quite lovable, but frequently and paralytically unable to function.

A friend of mine and her husband ran a small PR firm in the '90s, and Morrissey was one of their clients. They signed an NDA and have never spoken about him publicly, but they privately regaled me with tales of Morrissey showing up at a theatre, seeing the lines snaking around the block, freaking out and simply refusing to play. According to her, at least he felt somewhat bad about it afterwards.

They had arranged several very high profile interviews with major mags like Rolling Stone, got people to fly to LA just to interview him, and he just f***ed off to his mother's house, unplugged the phones and was basically unreachable for weeks at a time when he could have broken through to the majors in America. He absolutely undermined his own career.

They describe him as ridiculously talented and (to her at least) quite lovable, but frequently and paralytically unable to function.

1650154373359.gif

I’ve always felt he’s always self sabotaged his career, I think he likes playing the victim in things, it’s this narrative or image he wants to portray that these people ignore him and are trying to keep him out of the mainstream media that his managers publicists and record labels don’t support him or don’t promote and push his records to sell and that despite all these detractors he still gets out there and succeeds. That here I am I’m a fly in the ointment.

I’ve always felt he’s always self sabotaged his career, I think he likes playing the victim in things, it’s this narrative or image he wants to portray that these people ignore him and are trying to keep him out of the mainstream media that his managers publicists and record labels don’t support him or don’t promote and push his records to sell and that despite all these detractors he still gets out there and succeeds. That here I am I’m a fly in the ointment.
Sometimes I'm in such a bad mood that I have to avoid people completely, otherwise I might say or do something unforgivable. Maybe Morrissey's like that in social situations or at promotional events.

Sometimes I'm in such a bad mood that I have to avoid people completely, otherwise I might say or do something unforgivable. Maybe Morrissey's like that in social situations or at promotional events.
At every single time his career is about to turn the corner into a whole new stratosphere, he does this? No it’s to much a coincidence to simply be mood or social situations , this is a man that props around the stage shirtless having fans hug and kiss him, all of us are human and fall to the occasional mood swings but we also have priorities and responsibilities so we all buck up and do what we need to do regardless of mood and attitude we have at the time.

Stephen Street already had been paid FFS. Hed jump at
another Moz payday
everyone wants to work an angle
"they" want to sponge off Moz instead of finding work.(n)

:hammer:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom