Morrissey’s Publicist (Michael Pagnotta): He Was IMPOSSIBLE! - The Quintana Show / YouTube (April 11, 2022)

Screenshot_20220412-141722~2.png

Morrissey ‘impossible’. Great artists usually are. So the others he listed are not comparable.

Anyway. It would be more interesting if he discussed what he did for and accomplished for Morrissey during that time. And more importantly what did Morrissey expect from him that made it so ‘impossible’ to work with him.

Last edited:
"He's got so many insecurities." doesn't tell us much.
He talks about "insecurities" because he doesn't want to use the a-word (a=arrogance). ;-)

And "arrogance" is "impossible" because there is nothing more difficult to handle, it seems, than intelligence, especially when this intelligence is obstinate and uncompromising with folks who wanna follow, for whatever reasons, the easier, mediocre path, and thus losing sight of the artistic vision.

George and Prince ,
Morrissey ‘impossible’. Great artists usually are. So the others he listed are not comparable.

Anyway. It would be more interesting if he discussed what he did for and accomplished for Morrissey during that time. Also what did Morrissey expect from him.
What? Prince, George Micharl and D Mode. are not comparible?. You are right. They were/are hugely succesful in ways that M could only wish for,
The truth, is for me M was great, what he said was how I felt and I related and still do relate on a big level but I tend to think its becuase I probably was missing something . What M provded for himself and for us , was a kind of secuirty blanket, a way of dealing with the world to make it worth it
Most people aren't broken enough to need that.

If you get 500 people in a room , 50 of them will connect with M ,40 thinking hes ok, the other 10 being obsessive
If you do the same with Prince or George or D Mode probably 450 will think they are great and about 300 will be fans .
If the 300 got to know Prince and George . most will still like them
If the 50 got to know M. you would be lucky if 5 people actyually like him. Its telling that nearly all the people who publicily come out in support of M, are paid in someway

I am not saying any of that to be cruel, I am simply saying the facts speak for themselves. He has been kicked off of every label he has been on or left, owing money .
His first set of band mates, priveatly none of them seem to like him. His solo band, are more hired hands and it seems like none would speak up for him, if they didn't want money

In truth, what this guy said was part of the issue was his, he was too much a fan.

George and Prince ,

What? Prince, George Micharl and D Mode. are not comparible?. You are right. They were/are hugely succesful in ways that M could only wish for,
The truth, is for me M was great, what he said was how I felt and I related and still do relate on a big level but I tend to think its becuase I probably was missing something . What M provded for himself and for us , was a kind of secuirty blanket, a way of dealing with the world to make it worth it
Most people aren't broken enough to need that.

If you get 500 people in a room , 50 of them will connect with M ,40 thinking hes ok, the other 10 being obsessive
If you do the same with Prince or George or D Mode probably 450 will think they are great and about 300 will be fans .
If the 300 got to know Prince and George . most will still like them
If the 50 got to know M. you would be lucky if 5 people actyually like him. Its telling that nearly all the people who publicily come out in support of M, are paid in someway

I am not saying any of that to be cruel, I am simply saying the facts speak for themselves. He has been kicked off of every label he has been on or left, owing money .
His first set of band mates, priveatly none of them seem to like him. His solo band, are more hired hands and it seems like none would speak up for him, if they didn't want money

In truth, what this guy said was part of the issue was his, he was too much a fan.

back to my point….

Yes, of course what is ‘great’ or not great can be subjective, a matter of taste, etc.

Also it depends on how you define ‘success’.

There’s commercial success and there’s artistic success. It’s rare that those two paths ever cross, especially now a days.

Would Morrissey want the commercial success of bigger musical acts ?

Of course he would, BUT, only on his terms.

Which is why I feel that the other acts are not comparable to Morrissey and why he may be ‘impossible’ to work with. And why should anyone take into consideration what other people say about him, when there’s usually always more to the story.

Last edited:
Some examples would have been nice.
Everyone knows Moz is hard to work with.. but we want some ugly details!

Zero content

It's funny, Morrissey is always described as being hard to work with (mostly by outsiders, it has to be said), but looking at the longevity of his working relationships with the musicians in his band, this doesn't entirely appear to be the case, does it? How long have he and Boz worked together? 30 years, isn't it? Jesse - 18, Alain for 16 years, I think, and now he's back and only has good things to say, Gustavo has been around for a long time too. Even musicians who have left the band or just did session work with him have been only too happy to come back and work with him again. And these are people who Morrissey actually hangs out with in his personal life too, who show up to his mother's funeral, so it can't seriously be argued that it's just for the paycheck, can it? With all that being said, I can see how working as his publicist must be completely different to working with him as a musician. I can envision the ways in which he might be stressful to deal with for someone in that capacity, but that's kinda part of what makes him a great and fascinating artist; he clearly can be a f***ing nightmare.

back to my point….

Yes, of course what is ‘great’ or not great can be subjective, a matter of taste, etc.

Also it depends on how you define ‘success’.

There’s commercial success and there’s artistic success. It’s rare that those two paths ever cross, especially now a days.

Would Morrissey want the commercial success of bigger musical acts ?

Of course he would, BUT, only on his terms.

Which is why I feel that the other acts are not comparable to Morrissey and why he may be ‘impossible’ to work with. And why should anyone take into consideration what other people say about him, when there’s usually always more to the story.

It's obvious what's impossible - Morrissey is too anxious to do normal pop music publicity & often can't make or meet commitments. It's a big, loud, business machine.

His PR loved him & is proud of what he managed. He'll probably be bigger when he's gone. Unless Haslam ponies up the scandal that will end him in 3 tweets. 🙄

why are these people always so vague,you could sit all day saying he was impossible but they will never tell us why and he had to throw in that johnboy marr is the patron saint of pop.

I'm guessing as a publicist it was his job to try and get Morrissey to carry out some promotional activities to sell the albums - interviews, appearances etc. During the 'Vauxhall' period I remember we had Morrissey do a couple of signing sessions, which was great - but other than that I can't recall him doing much of anything.

why are these people always so vague,you could sit all day saying he was impossible but they will never tell us why and he had to throw in that johnboy marr is the patron saint of pop.
I dunno. Between all the reports from previous managers about how Morrissey would go 'incommunicado' at certain times, or just not turn up for things, plus those horrendous leaked emails where he complains about the chart position of 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' and tries to get a hit single off the back of the Bataclan massacre - I can well image he must be a bit of a nightmare to work with.

It's obvious what's impossible - Morrissey is too anxious to do normal pop music publicity & often can't make or meet commitments. It's a big, loud, business machine.

His PR loved him & is proud of what he managed. He'll probably be bigger when he's gone. Unless Haslam ponies up the scandal that will end him in 3 tweets. 🙄
Haslam is just your fall-boy. Y’all picked the wrong donkey. Turns out, it’s lame and needs to be put down - along with all those who continue to encourage the flailing, long past glue time.

I'm guessing as a publicist it was his job to try and get Morrissey to carry out some promotional activities to sell the albums - interviews, appearances etc. During the 'Vauxhall' period I remember we had Morrissey do a couple of signing sessions, which was great - but other than that I can't recall him doing much of anything.
Vodka, Kerrygold and Cashmere.

Those are the things he does. ;)

I dunno. Between all the reports from previous managers about how Morrissey would go 'incommunicado' at certain times, or just not turn up for things, plus those horrendous leaked emails where he complains about the chart position of 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' and tries to get a hit single off the back of the Bataclan massacre - I can well image he must be a bit of a nightmare to work with.
Bataclan massacre

God I remember that, whinging that they would not re-release I'm throwing My Arms Around Paris, they then came out and said they would - for charity... of course he was then not interested and dropped it.

I would expect nothing less than impossible and it only makes me respect him even more. Do your worst!

It's funny, Morrissey is always described as being hard to work with (mostly by outsiders, it has to be said), but looking at the longevity of his working relationships with the musicians in his band, this doesn't entirely appear to be the case, does it? How long have he and Boz worked together? 30 years, isn't it? Jesse - 18, Alain for 16 years, I think, and now he's back and only has good things to say, Gustavo has been around for a long time too. Even musicians who have left the band or just did session work with him have been only too happy to come back and work with him again. And these are people who Morrissey actually hangs out with in his personal life too, who show up to his mother's funeral, so it can't seriously be argued that it's just for the paycheck, can it? With all that being said, I can see how working as his publicist must be completely different to working with him as a musician. I can envision the ways in which he might be stressful to deal with for someone in that capacity, but that's kinda part of what makes him a great and fascinating artist; he clearly can be a f***ing nightmare.
Hired guns. Willing to shill. Plenty better out there. Melvis has a budget. It shows.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom