"Morrissey’s politics divide his LA fan base" - From Press Play (KCRW)

72cc456f-5f86-4fb2-b090-5d36393bf617.jpeg

Heard this live today on the radio program Press Play. Host Madeleine Brand interviews Melissa Hidalgo - author of “Mozlandia: Morrissey Fans in the Borderlands”. The 16 min segment can be heard at the link below:

Morrissey’s politics divide his LA fan base

Last edited:
Say whatever you like, Mr. Anonymous.
I’ve been a fan since my father first brought home Meat Is Murder - upon its release - & made me listen to it, aged 10. My interest has never wained & has always been based upon the music & Morrissey as an individual; unlike your unhealthy love/hate obsession.

Tell yourself what you think you need to hear to feed your troll fetish. Your posts are rarely about Morrissey or his music - so that's that myth debunked. Next!

eventually all the decent people will be gone one by one and this place will be a wasteland of anonymous posters.
Keep the faith. A certain agitator on here has been appealing to the logic of ‘Occam’s razor’ to attack Morrissey: the idiots are now undermining their own reactionary positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say whatever you like, Mr. Anonymous.

"Good morning. My name is Snoddy, Snoddy Wilko. No, don't laugh it's my real name. I'm here for the position of troll? Photo? Why, yes. I have one right here. As you can see I resemble a question mark. My mother has always described me as enigmatic. It may have been asthmatic - I'm a little hard of hearing. What's that, the position has been filled? Oh, well, at least I have Morrissey-Solo to fill in the hours/days/weeks."

Some people come here for information & music, not as a soapbox for their own agendas

Hmmm.... so 4 providing redundants, in as many minutes, is not about shaping an agenda? Are you sure you're not 10 years of age now?

The Skinny platform nonsense is becoming tiring. Anyone who has used this forum knows that Skinny holds very particular views; views he has no qulams about sharing. I haven't always agreed with him and have raised my objections accordingly. Morrissey holds very particular views; views he has no qualms about sharing. When Morrissey does so the Moz-bots descend and often defend the indefensible. Morrissey, it seems, can do no wrong. For over two years this forum has been a festering sore of hatred. The hatred has be perpetrated, not always by the Moz-bots, but entryist right-wing hate-peddlers. It is these hate-peddlers that have changed the forum beyond all recognition. They have become the accepted norm within this forum and have generated division; the very reason they entered the forum in the first place.

Long-standing users have colluded with this plague or have sat by and allowed it to occur. Racists, anti-semites, homophobes etc., they have all, it seems, been welcomed.

Rather than an army of Skinny's what I have witnessed is consistent attempts to marginalise Skinny and to some degree this has worked. The hate-peddlers repeating the same stock phrases - a la Trump - it has sunk in and is the new truth.

I won't ever agree with all that Skinny has to say, and more so how he says it, but I think it incredibly unhealthy that there is a concerted attempt to close down his views (unsuccesfully) whilst arguing that Morrissey has a right to free speech.

Skinny, let's not forget, is a Smiths fan and was once a devoted Morrissey fan. Morrissey, he feels, has let himself down and continues to do so. I agree with Skinny. I know, I'm as shocked as anyone.

So ... if you genuinely believe that Morrissey isn't racist why do you allow other users - registered and anonymous - to continually make racist statements that go unchallenged? Why would you want such material appearing on this site. You can moan about Skinny all you want (and you do) but perhaps energies could be better directed to the blatant racist, anti-semites and homophobes etc. It's just a thought. A thought that will be shot down. Ho hum.

So you decided to post this anonymously? Despite this I'll try & respond to your points.

No, what's becoming tiring is the likes of skinny trying to convince everyone on here, at every sodding opportunity, that Moz is racist, fascist, a bigot, & whatever else he can think of.
Save it, we've heard it, many times, you're done. No-one else can discuss whatever article, or anything else, without him chirping in with the same old practised lines (stock phrases as you put it), & then it descends into a fist fight. We heard him the first time. We've heard enough.

When you talk about skinny being marginalised, well, he's reaping what he's sown. He doesn't have to come here; he doesn't have to post, so why does he? The people on here hate him, as much as he hates Moz, & skinny has brought it all upon himself with all the historic hate stuff he's posted & continues to post. So either he's mentally ill (seriously) or he just revels in it all & thinks it gives him some type of 'status' as 'king agitator' or something equally as farcical.

I personally don't condone all this racists shit which appears on here. I do not believe Moz is racist by any stretch & I don't have any control over who posts what, so am not sure what your "why do you allow other users - registered and anonymous - to continually make racist statements that go unchallenged?" actually means. You should ask tseng that question, not me.

This place needs some moderation by tseng, but maybe that would be too much like hard work & conflict with his other interests. Many people have been asking for moderation for some time, from what I can gather, but it appears to suit his purpose to let right, left & other types of extremist on here.

Something's got to change otherwise this place will either die, or just become a full-time extremist forum, & the likes of tseng will be seen as someone who has promoted, condoned & sanctioned it, but actually did sod all to prevent it from happening.

He should be, frankly, ashamed of himself.

Hmmm.... so 4 providing redundants, in as many minutes, is not about shaping an agenda? Are you sure you're not 10 years of age now?

...and that type of comment just gives us an indication of either your real, or mental age doesn't it? FFS.

...and that type of comment just gives us an indication of either your real, or mental age doesn't it? FFS.

Not quite sure why you felt the need to respond to that but there you are .... I suppose attack is the best defence.

Therein lies the problem. You " ... don't have 'any' control"? Oh, contrer. Tseng doesn't filter the guff and I agree he has a responsibility that he continues to shirk. However, when the racist/homophobic/anti-semtitic etc. guff does appear it's now largely accepted by users. It goes unchallenged and therefore the forum becomes an acceptable place to promote those ideologies. It's Trump's America in action.

Your conflicting view with Skinny re: Morrissey's 'alleged' racism is directly about Morrissey and has, to my mind, a place in this forum. The other guff, the guff that goes out of it's way to incite hatred of black people, asian people, jewish people, immigrants, people of differing faith and LGBT people etc. isn't. I'd also add it was sickening to read the apologist support for a convicted paedophile in this forum. Support provided because the paedophile was right-wing.

Only Tseng has the power to control which posts appear but those in the forum should, in my - it seems naive - opinion, take responsibility to police it as best they can. I know why people would argue that they don't come here to police it - they come here for information and fun. However, look at any thread and just about everyone indulges in some form of bullying or other. Recently users in this forum went out of their way to identify Skinny's wife and her faith in attempts to attack Skinny. That's just sinister.

This superior nonsense that users have re: registered users and anonymous users is laughable. The vast majority of users on this site are anonymous and like you use fake names and avatars.

I think you mean 'au contraire'?
When 'the guff', as you call it in your 1st para, appears, it is challenged robustly by people, & this is where it becomes a fist fight. If there was moderation in place then that would help reduce the mount of 'guff', & thereby reduce the amount of conflict you see. I say 'reduce', not eliminate, as persistent people would always find a way to get around things.
I would agree with you re; your 2nd para, 2nd sentence & remainder of that paragraph.
So, without moderation, what's your suggestion as to how, for those in the forum, they should 'police in the best way they can'?
Not sure about your 'superior nonsense' comment, but with registered accounts, 2 strikes and you're out seems sensible. There's nothing to stop people creating other accounts obviously, but who'd get tired first? Mods or those who create accounts? Anything's worth trying because at the moment it's just totally dysfunctional, and I hope that, at least, is something we are in agreement about.

I think you mean 'au contraire'

I did. Poor spelling does not however make me stupid - it just makes me 'look' stoopid. I'll need to revisit my terrible French before making any more Fox Paws.:)

Oh I know exactly who she is. I predicted this outcome. Don't tell me what I do or do not know. Go back to college.

Clearly you know diddly squat. Pray tell where lies this prescient prediction on social media for us all to view and revel in your self-serving glory.

Skinny is a difficult topic. He can be toxic when it comes to matters of race but so can those who go out of their way to goad him. It can be convenient to forget how generous he has been sharing rarities.

Any restructure should put everyone in the same position. With new rules in place - enforce them across the board - and treat people equally. Move forward from there.

Skinny has irked me on occasion but others - still using this forum - have actually sickened me with their vitriol.
Still, I wouldn't want to identify them possible scapegoats.

If properly moderated perhaps the ex-Morrissey fans (like me - still a Smiths fan) will fall away naturally. Maybe the hatemongers will get bored and move on too. They won't move on while it's currently so cosy for them in this forum.

I’d also like to ask a question that I’m certain many other members and users of this site would love an answer to:

Why hasn’t Uncleskinny’s account been banned?

How many years has he openly spouted his hatred for Morrissey here? How many more years will you allow him to goad & attack the many people who visit this site because - just as he once did - they love Morrissey?

Almost without fail, he is the first comment on every single thread, & without fail it is always nothing other than the same hateful bile ad nauseum.

And it seems clear that many other accounts are also being set up by the same disturbed man: Peter Finan, one-time uber-fan & now long-time uber-obsessed bore, determined to do his very best to stop anybody else enjoying this site or voice any opinion that isn’t cloning his own

Surely there is no reason for people such as this to be on this site. What purpose does his daily toxic repetition serve?

His position as a moderator was revoked for a reason, so why is it acceptable for him to continue his unacceptable behaviour here daily, spitefully, obsessively?

Removing a few troublemakers would surely help return this site to what it was originally intended to be: a space to discuss, share & celebrate the music of Morrissey & The Smiths.

Skinny supposedly 'resigned'. Its all a load of BS nobody believes.
Skinny runs this site, they are scared of the twat for some reason.

Thanks for your response.
You have been doing this for a long time. I'm sure you must have learned a lot in that time about how to run a forum and I'm sure that people often put two minutes into writing a suggestion that you've already spent hours thinking about.
I do understand why you can't drop everything and have the same conversation repeatedly.
Still there are people who notice this influx of posters that seem more excited by talking ab0ut "the Jews" than they ever seem to be in talking about Morrissey. That is a real thing that is happening. I don't blame you if you don't want to hear it from me but I'm not the only one who has noticed it.
And you do have rules about posting racist or hateful speech.
I think if we want to talk about how hard it is to run the site I'll say that Morrissey himself has attracted a lot of these people. And I want to keep the conversation productive but if the site is so hard to run, why do it? If I go order a pizza and comes out with some rancid pepperoni on it is "you don't know how hard it is to run a pizzeria" going to help me on my trip to the emergency room? :straightface:

I think political discussion is okay and not the problem. I think it's okay to think that mass immigration can change the character of a nation and it's okay to say that. A lot of posts go way past that though. Your forum needs a cleanup.
"The Jews." So what? I smell an 'anti-semite' here. :eek: Pew!

I’d also like to ask a question that I’m certain many other members and users of this site would love an answer to:

Why hasn’t Uncleskinny’s account been banned?

How many years has he openly spouted his hatred for Morrissey here? How many more years will you allow him to goad & attack the many people who visit this site because - just as he once did - they love Morrissey?

Almost without fail, he is the first comment on every single thread, & without fail it is always nothing other than the same hateful bile ad nauseum.

And it seems clear that many other accounts are also being set up by the same disturbed man: Peter Finan, one-time uber-fan & now long-time uber-obsessed bore, determined to do his very best to stop anybody else enjoying this site or voice any opinion that isn’t cloning his own

Surely there is no reason for people such as this to be on this site. What purpose does his daily toxic repetition serve?

His position as a moderator was revoked for a reason, so why is it acceptable for him to continue his unacceptable behaviour here daily, spitefully, obsessively?

Removing a few troublemakers would surely help return this site to what it was originally intended to be: a space to discuss, share & celebrate the music of Morrissey & The Smiths.

Whilst I share your concerns, it is essentially David’s site and it will live or die on his fairly consistent ‘hands off’ approach to the content.

I guess if we want to see more love for Morrissey then it is us, the fans, who will have to be responsible for its propagation here.

That said, one might nevertheless hope that David might remember when he felt positively about Morrissey. I think, in the long run, a recall would serve his project well: the behaviours of some unmentionables on here makes me think that their loathing—harmless to Morrissey himself—is now turning to this platform. So, ironically, it’s their hatred of Morrissey which might ultimately achieve the latter’s wish to get this site effectively finished (as a ‘go to’ place for music news and opinion).

With the above in mind, being a fan here and dwelling with the unedited nihilism—as an advocate of Morrissey and his music—feels to me like some kind of a win-win.

Tags
for britain kcrw latino los angeles morrissey racism

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom