Morrissey’s Penguin Classic

• Thread starter Deleted member 30764
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30764

Is it worth it purchasing this book? And, yes I know that it has a notoriously bad reputation.

Is Morrissey really as big as they say he is Latin America? I know he has toured there frequently, but that seems almost like an exaggeration of his importance and influence there.

They certainly want to push the narrative of a honorary Los Angeleno for him.
And possibly even a honorary Latino/ Mexican, despite him obviously being so proudly British… even if he’s critical of his own country of birth.

ever since first hearing the New York Dolls, Morrissey has secretly wanted to be an American. Even his band was named after Patti Smith. Which is funny, because The Smiths are usually recognized as being one of the most British of bands. But that’s Morrissey for ya!

ever since first hearing the New York Dolls, Morrissey has secretly wanted to be an American. Even his band was named after Patti Smith. Which is funny, because The Smiths are usually recognized as being one of the most British of bands. But that’s Morrissey for ya!
Well, I think that’s a contradiction of fairly recent statements, no?

The Larry King interview he gave an entirely different answer to him.

Yes, I definitely know Morrissey loves a lot of American bands/ musicians and classic Hollywood film actors.

Well, I think that’s a contradiction of fairly recent statements, no?

The Larry King interview he gave an entirely different answer to him.

Yes, I definitely know Morrissey loves a lot of American bands/ musicians and classic Hollywood film actors.

I’m not surprised with contradictions from Morrissey, especially when he’s giving the interviewer an answer they are not expecting.

Anyway, what was said in the Larry King interview? I wouldn’t call that very recent.

I’m only familiar with, or can remember what was said in the recent interview he did with Sam for Central.

I’m not surprised with contradictions from Morrissey, especially when he’s giving the interviewer an answer they are not expecting.

Anyway, what was said in the Larry King interview? That was so long ago.

I’m only familiar with, or can remember what was said in the recent interview he did with Sam for Central.
I think it’s 2014? 2015? The Larry King interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
ever since first hearing the New York Dolls, Morrissey has secretly wanted to be an American. Even his band was named after Patti Smith.
Where do you get that idea? (both ideas)?

Where do you get that idea? (both ideas)?

yeah, pretty wild, right?

Well I like to imagine him as a teenager obsessive about NY bands/artists, and just wishing he was there rather than in Manchester. There are other Smiths, but it’s through Patti that M and Johnny first met. I like to think that the memory of that meeting may of had some influence on Morrissey when he was thinking up names for the band.

Morrissey doesn't even write in proper English any more. For years now, he's used American English spelling, which I find just baffling.

I don’t remember what he was asked or said in reply.
I would honestly have to watch the interview again. Although, it stands out in my mind, the band choosing a very generic common name that could encompass any genre of music… it might’ve been something along those lines.

Of course, don’t quote me on that.
I do remember some more of his Morrissey- like answers better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would’ve honestly have to watch the interview again. Although, it stands out in mind, the band choosing a very generic common name that could encompass any genre of music… it might’ve been something along those lines.

Don’t quote me on that, though.
I do remember some more of his Morrissey- like answers better.

Oh yeah, he’s given that answer before.

According to Marr, Morrissey handed him 3 names to choose from..

“Occasionally I’d go over to see him at his mother’s house. It was after one of these afternoon visits, when we were standing on the pavement as I was leaving, that he held out his hand and presented me with a small white card. On the card were three names written in blue biro: ‘The Smith Family’, ‘The Smiths’ and ‘The Walking Wounded’. I took a moment to consider as I didn’t know if I liked any of them, but I decided that ‘The Smiths’ was the one I disliked least, so I pointed to it. ‘OK then,’ said Morrissey with a smile and a bow of the head, ‘The Smiths it is.’ I said goodbye and walked down the road towards Old Trafford train station. I thought about the new band name for a minute and it sounded like a family, and I liked how simple it was, then I thought about it some more and decided that it was great. The Smiths – it fitted. The Smiths it was.”

I just looked up List of the Lost on Bookscan and it has sold 7 copies so far in 2022, in the UK.

Now I'm kind of intrigued as to who those 7 people are...

Here's a review, which is an absolute riot and probably longer than the novel itself.

Oh wow - I'd forgotten that review, but it's just brilliant. Better written and more artistic in practically every line than the novel itself. The fact that after such a massive pile-on it ends with a score of 9.2 out of 10 just adds to the hilarity! :D

Not named after David & Maureen Smith then? I believe this FAR more likely —— F A R …

This is arrant bollocks. The Smiths were named after Hindley's sister and her husband.

Back
Top Bottom