Morrissey’s lyrics have been the weakest thing about Morrissey’s music since 2004

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
This thread needs more stupid gifs of dancing, it's such a pleasure to scroll through

Ok!
7B8DD744-8A63-433F-B73A-2568933A2FA0.gif

0360C447-2DAE-4472-B6C8-6907DE47C940.gif

5D6B092F-5E78-4214-AFB1-13661B46F2B3.gif

AC9C0382-AABE-489C-B724-7B89959D02AA.gif

D91A3568-7367-4D79-82C3-503ABC46E159.gif

F0D018F6-337A-4161-A6A0-E560680AD2B9.gif

EE1C243D-98C7-4D69-ADDD-4E245F10F78B.gif

9DA534FA-9A84-4AB0-8C31-A20D755DA3EC.gif

Didn't really want to accept it, but it goes someway towards explaining why I enjoyed California Son so much.

Don't forget, it's all subjective; certain stuff holds some appeal for some, but maybe not for others, possibly due to many factors, beat, lyric, meaning, vocals, length of song, even album cover, etc.
You might score Kiss Me A Lot a 10, others might give it a 4. Staircase I'd give 5, you might think 10. The list could go on ad infinitum. There would never be consensus.
but the people who criticize shout louder and longer and try to force people into submission.

Morrissey's output has never been as good since Alain Whyte left.

He is, along with Stephen Street, Morrissey's best solo collaborator.

Yeah, coz Roy's Keen was absolute genius.
No-one's written, or is likely to write, more songs with Steve than Whyte. Yeah, he wrote a handful of gems but tons of what he wrote was absolute rubbish including most of Southpaw Grammar, Morrissey's worst ever album.

No-one's written, or is likely to write, more songs with Steve than Whyte. Yeah, he wrote a handful of gems but tons of what he wrote was absolute rubbish including most of Southpaw Grammar, Morrissey's worst ever album.

Roy's Keen is ridiculed for its lyrics, which had nothing to do with Whyte. In any case, it's a song which doesn't attempt to take itself too seriously anyway.

Musically, Maladjusted (the album) is streets ahead of anything Morrissey has put out post-2009.

I adore Kiss me a lot despite its very simple lyrics, but sometimes a song does not need anything brilliant to « work ».

"Jackie.." & "Spent The Day In Bed" are his two best singles since V&I.
I think side A of LIHS is pretty flawless, side B is Def not as good but still pretty solid

I would tend to agree, especially with the two new singles pointing that way.
I like “bobby..” but the lyrics are just drug slang repeated over and over, for a man who has written such beautiful words (even about drug use “sunny”!) it’s a bit deflating.
Also his delivery, I struggle to describe it but in many recent recordings he often sounds...not angry, but as though his backs against the wall, lacking the fragility of his younger years, though perhaps I’ve manifested that myself with his media comments in the back of my mind.

though
“Life is a pigsty”
“Come back to Camden”
“Mama lay softly on the riverbed”
“Mountjoy”
“Israel”
“Spent The Day In Bed”
“Oboe Concerto”
They give me hope

I would tend to agree, especially with the two new singles pointing that way.
I like “bobby..” but the lyrics are just drug slang repeated over and over, for a man who has written such beautiful words (even about drug use “sunny”!) it’s a bit deflating.
Also his delivery, I struggle to describe it but in many recent recordings he often sounds...not angry, but as though his backs against the wall, lacking the fragility of his younger years, though perhaps I’ve manifested that myself with his media comments in the back of my mind.

though
“Life is a pigsty”
“Come back to Camden”
“Mama lay softly on the riverbed”
“Mountjoy”
“Israel”
“Spent The Day In Bed”
“Oboe Concerto”
They give me hope

Bobby isn't meant to be looked at like poetry though. It's the sounds of the words that are probably more important and with the instrumental sections it seems like it's a record that is about sound and meant to be more immediate.
I understand what you're saying about the change in attitude. It's like he is protecting himself and closing himself off a little by putting on a harder front.

Bobby isn't meant to be looked at like poetry though. It's the sounds of the words that are probably more important and with the instrumental sections it seems like it's a record that is about sound and meant to be more immediate.
I understand what you're saying about the change in attitude. It's like he is protecting himself and closing himself off a little by putting on a harder front.

I suppose that’s true, about “Bobby..” but I am still a little disappointed because what I love about Morrissey is his poetry.
Glad to see it isn’t just me that understands about the attitude, it’s not a huge thing, I just considered it recently upon listening to the early solo work, a tune like “I Know Very Well How I Got My Name” would be performed very differently now I feel.
Still, we all change.

I suppose that’s true, about “Bobby..” but I am still a little disappointed because what I love about Morrissey is his poetry.
Glad to see it isn’t just me that understands about the attitude, it’s not a huge thing, I just considered it recently upon listening to the early solo work, a tune like “I Know Very Well How I Got My Name” would be performed very differently now I feel.
Still, we all change.

Two things - 'Morrissey's music' does not exist. He sings and writes words. He relies 100% on other people to write music and play musical instruments so the phrase 'Morrissey's music' is nonsense.
Second thing - the lyrics have indeed been a lot worse but the Quarry songs must be included in this. The words to Crashing Bores are some of the stupidest ever written, Irish Blood showed how muddled his politics were (even before the recent nastiness), 'How can anybody possibly know' is just stupid, 'Camden' is full of dimwitted clichés (taxi drivers who never stop talking - there's a thing!). The list goes on...

Roy's Keen is better than most of the stuff written post-2009.

Back
Top Bottom