Morrissey’s lyrics have been the weakest thing about Morrissey’s music since 2004

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Two things - 'Morrissey's music' does not exist. He sings and writes words. He relies 100% on other people to write music and play musical instruments so the phrase 'Morrissey's music' is nonsense.
Second thing - the lyrics have indeed been a lot worse but the Quarry songs must be included in this. The words to Crashing Bores are some of the stupidest ever written, Irish Blood showed how muddled his politics were (even before the recent nastiness), 'How can anybody possibly know' is just stupid, 'Camden' is full of dimwitted clichés (taxi drivers who never stop talking - there's a thing!). The list goes on...

Where did I mention “Morrissey’s music” ?
Regarding Morrissey not being a musician etc etc bore off, it’s not a big deal if someone did, by chance, accident or just in causal conversation refer to “Morrissey’s music”. His names on the record, it’s his.

And I like “Camden” - i think it’s lovely.

Where did I mention “Morrissey’s music” ?
Regarding Morrissey not being a musician etc etc bore off, it’s not a big deal if someone did, by chance, accident or just in causal conversation refer to “Morrissey’s music”. His names on the record, it’s his.

And I like “Camden” - i think it’s lovely.

Sorry - my mistake. Didn't mean to reply to your thread personally. Just to the topic (and it has 'Morrissey's music' in the title).

I understand what you're saying about the change in attitude. It's like he is protecting himself and closing himself off a little by putting on a harder front.
There may be some Truth to that my reptilian fren.

People must think Morrissey has amnesia and has forgotten how to write the way he use to. I feel it’s a very conscious move on his part. What are his reasons for doing so? Well, we could
all have our theories on that.

There may be some Truth to that my reptilian fren.

People must think Morrissey has amnesia and has forgotten how to write the way he use to. I feel it’s a very conscious move on his part. What are his reasons for doing so? Well, we could
all have our theories on that.

He hasn’t forgotten how to write. He just exhausted all he had to say a long time ago so he’s spent nearly the last 2 decades saying the same things in different ways. The well runs dry when you’re old, wealthy and as thematically limited as Morrissey is. It also doesn’t help that he doesn’t labor over crafting and perfecting anything he writes.

People change, too. And some subjects that work when you're younger just don't work when you're older. "On the day when your mentality catches up with your biology" is about a young adult who does not return Morrissey's affections. It could be written in character although back then I used to always think every song was ripped out of his diary and put to music. Anyway, some of those problems solve themselves. If Morrissey were interested in a relationship now it would probably be with someone who knew themselves better than some of the characters in his earlier songs. If he wrote about his current relationships I don't think they would seem so dramatic.
Whether that is true or not the lyrics that felt like confessions at the time would seem different now. "I can feel the soil falling over my head" etc would seem off for an older person to sing. It's okay to have that kind of self pity and to want relationships that are wrong for you when you're young but most people grow and learn.
Maybe he was never writing about himself. But it seemed like he was, and now he more often writes in a way that seems to be more about other people or the world in general. "All You Need Is Me" seems like he's talking about himself but now the relationship is with the public, the press, and the fans.
"Dear God, Please Help Me" was in a way like the early relationship songs and it's definitely dramatic but for me it never really worked and definitely doesn't compare to things like "What Difference Does It Make?"

Well it’s fine if some folks don’t like it, but it doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s just bad or wrong for them/you.

Morrissey’s shows are still pretty successful and those shows are attended by older fans too, and they can’t still be attending just to hear the odd Smiths or early solo song thrown in. When it comes to Morrissey it’s more than the music and the words.

Bring him back.

He brought back Gary Day. He can bring back Alain Whyte.
alain is never coming back,for alain to come back someone would have to be jetissoned and that aint ever going to happen anytime soon.

Finally admitting you saw my PM.
This is real progress.
your obsessed with your arse,yes I saw it but I never opened the attatchment.bet when a newbie reads this they will say what have I let myself in for.

I don’t know...

Bad lyrics from a 2004 release:
Slum Mums
America Is Not The World
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
Don’t Make Fun of Daddy’s Voice
I Am Two People
Mexico

And all equally terrible songs.

your obsessed with your arse,yes I saw it but I never opened the attatchment.bet when a newbie reads this they will say what have I let myself in for.

You’re lying because there is no attachment to open. It is literally inserted right in the message after you consented to seeing it and then you pretended like you didn’t because I guess you felt like a homo.

You’re lying because there is no attachment to open. It is literally inserted right in the message after you consented to seeing it and then you pretended like you didn’t because I guess you felt like a homo.
I beg your pudding iv never felt like a homosapien in all my soon to be 56 years on this planet.

your absolutely right,there is no attatchment,theres a smiley coupon and underneath it says SPOILER.no spoilers but there is a spoiler.

Back
Top Bottom