Morrissey’s Latest Is His Most - The Federalist

"Morrissey’s Latest Is His Most - The Federalist
By David Marcus

The master of mope is back at it and his latest is close to his best.

Last week, the almost-cancelled 1980’s, 90’s, and now’s alt-music star Morrissey dropped a new single. It somehow manages to be a complete surprise while fitting onto his oeuvre like a glove. “Love Is On Its Way Out” is the most Morrissey of Morrissey song titles. He is almost mocking his own maudlin tendencies, but inside this song there is a lot to think about.

The song begins with its title, and Morrissey matter of factly explains that love is on its way out. It’s tired, it’s done, it’s over. Throughout his career Morrissey has taken a skeptical view of love. Usually he expresses that he is not worthy of it. In songs like “I Want The One I Can’t Have,” Morrissey paints himself as un-lovable, the title of another of his songs.

The bizarre joke about Morrissey has always been that his fans think he’s super hot with his strong jaw and erect puff of black hair, yet he paints himself as a grotesque gargoyle. This tension has worked its way throughout his entire time in the spotlight. Johnny Carson, the most affable and bright guy on TV, often admitted he was hopelessly shy, what we saw was deflection. So it is with Morrissey.

Love is on its way out. It doesn’t seem like any specific love. This isn’t a break-up, yet. This is love generally. It moves into kids being victims of war and the “sad rich” killing elephants and lions. Quick note here that big-game hunting actually provides considerable funding for conservation, but, setting that on one side: Morrissey is talking about love leaving the world.

Might we wonder if this is true? Is love leaving the world? Do we just hate each other now? Do we refuse to shake hands and rip up speeches? Do we glare at the enemy with glowing animosity? We often do. We probably have a problem.

The song is unique for Morrissey, as it not guitar-driven. Moz has been blessed with absurd guitar talent. As front man for the Smiths, he sang alongside Johnny Marr, a master of the Rickenbacker with no rival. Since going solo, Morrissey has crooned above Boz Boorer, a more workmanlike version of Marr but with his own magic.

But not on this track. The backing here is almost purely electronic. It’s a synth pop style that feels foreign to Morrissey, who at the end of the day, even though it seems weird, is more a rock star than a pop star. But his voice rises above the digital beats as usual, a little bored, a little distracted, until the end.

After, I don’t know, a harpsichord solo? Flush with vague soprano flourishes, the song launches into its coda. And the guitars are back. The niche pop Morrissey tune is suddenly a severe and meaningful one. He’s not joking now. He asks that before love goes, before it makes its bow and exit that someone, we never know who, take the time to show him what its like. As much actor as singer as he always is, he begs. The song turns.

“Take time, be mine and gaze with fondness on the wrong one.” It’s Morrissey understanding his entire philosophy. One based in simple moments that don’t come often enough. A look across a table that makes you think you have value. But also the recognition that you can never truly be what people want you to be.

I had a wonderful history teacher in high school named Don Kawash who was also a professional ragtime piano player. One day I had lunch with him, when he was in his 60s. He said, “David, when I was 25 I could hit any note, but I didn’t know what they meant. Now I know what they mean but I can’t hit them all.” Morrissey knows what the notes mean now and he’s hitting them. This is no retro act; he is making some of his very best music."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/02/07/morrisseys-latest-is-his-most/

Last edited by a moderator:
"Nazi websites"? Really? For someone who prides themselves on their supposedly superior intellect you do seem to be rather silly.

Is someone saying The Federalist is a Nazi website?

That's insane.

can you grow up. People decline and you’re in denial. If ronaldo started scoring 10 goals a season instead of 45 in 2012, would you still lick his rim and say he’s consistent? Morrissey is shite now! That’s why he gets compared to his best work from the past. Get over it

Ronaldo? Don’t know who that is.

Anyway, you still can not stop resorting to name calling. It’s really sad.

You really need help.

People limit themselves because they claim that Morrissey has lost the ability to bring timeless good pop songs to the market? With lyrics and music that are on par with most of your early solo career? So do you deny people the ability to formulate what they don't like anymore?
I'll tell you what your problem is and unfortunately also that of your lord and master. You would like everyone to like the new stuff and be offended if there is a headwind. Then it gets uncomfortable and quickly it is said that critics have no clue. When I read parts of your comments, I sometimes have the feeling, that an 11 year old reacts defiantly because people criticize his favorite star.

:lbf: Fail.

Nah, you just can’t see how you’re limiting yourself self from enjoying what life has to offer you today if you are always making comparisons to a past that you hold in such high regard.

In this case it’s simple, if you don’t like his new work
then move on and find someone who is making new art that you will enjoy.

But to not move on and continue to visit the site of an artist that you no longer enjoy listening to is sad and sick.

You along with ordinaryboy86 clearly really need help.

can you grow up. People decline and you’re in denial. If ronaldo started scoring 10 goals a season instead of 45 in 2012, would you still lick his rim and say he’s consistent? Morrissey is shite now! That’s why he gets compared to his best work from the past. Get over it

WTF????? 'ronaldo':confused:

at this point i assume you are chugging the liquor.:(

:lbf: Fail.

Nah, you just can’t see how you’re limiting yourself self from enjoying what life has to offer you today if you are always making comparisons to a past that you hold in such high regard.

In this case it’s simple, if you don’t like his new work
then move on and find someone who is making new art that you will enjoy.

But to not move on and continue to visit the site of an artist that you no longer enjoy listening to is sad and sick.

You along with ordinaryboy86 clearly really need help.

Tbf I don't really care if people hate his music or his personality - what annoys me is a bunch of hypocrites monstering him over a couple of comments & a bloody pin.

No. You fail, in constantly repeating the same limited slogans against your "enemies":
"Move on"
"Why visiting this site anyway"
"Modern Morrissey has so much to offer"
"Need help"
"You are a troll"

Tbf I don't really care if people hate his music or his personality - what annoys me is a bunch of hypocrites monstering him over a couple of comments & a bloody pin.
The music and the lyrics are no longer brilliant. That's the point. The other aspects are not my theme.

No. You fail, in constantly repeating the same limited slogans against your "enemies":
"Move on"
"Why visiting this site anyway"
"Modern Morrissey has so much to offer"
"Need help"
"You are a troll"

:rolleyes:

Move on, dumb skinny troll. why even visit this site anyways? Modern Moz has so much to offer due
to his intelligence, but you, skinny troll need help. because YOU ARE A TROLL:smilingimp:
:neutral:

Frantic for fame. They're all on the game. Worshipping everything their master puts out at the end of his career. Never too tired to praise new exciting songs, like Bobby. No sense for an objectiv view left at all.

The new record will be really good. Congratulations Mozz in advance! A massive cosmic success. I think that's great.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom