Morrissey’s image post the Smiths breakup

Hi everybody, my first ever post here.

Not sure if it’s been discussed before, but I’ve been wondering why Morrissey’s ‘image’ changed so much after the Smiths split. Take for example his Elvis-esque rockabilly era, sudden love for music videos (which he hated before I believe?), and his overall change in both style and presentation (November Spawned a Monster etc. etc.).

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers.

I'm not sure it's anything more than the passing of time that changes all of us. Even though the Smiths were only together for a few years, Morrissey's style in the early days of NHS glasses, hearing aid, blouse and flowers is noticeably different from the Morrissey of the band's latter period.

Likewise, when I look at the Morrissey of 'November Spawned a Monster' and look at the current incarnation, I sometimes have problems accepting they are the same person. That's what time will do to ya.

Not sure if there's an official explanation, but I assume that he wanted to appeal to the American market, and they want their dudes to look and behave like dudes, and not like some dude's grandmother, especially in rock music. Plus, if I remember correctly, in the late 80s and during the 90s, accepted gender roles were pretty conservative and business-oriented, compared to the late 60s and 70s with their sensitive, long-haired singer songwriters.

I'm not sure it's anything more than the passing of time that changes all of us. Even though the Smiths were only together for a few years, Morrissey's style in the early days of NHS glasses, hearing aid, blouse and flowers is noticeably different from the Morrissey of the band's latter period.

Likewise, when I look at the Morrissey of 'November Spawned a Monster' and look at the current incarnation, I sometimes have problems accepting they are the same person. That's what time will do to ya.
Well yes, but what I find interesting is that it happened almost immediately after they broke up, as if done deliberately (?) to sort of distance himself from the Smiths days.

I might be reading too much into it though.

Not sure if there's an official explanation, but I assume that he wanted to appeal to the American market, and they want their dudes to look and behave like dudes, and not like some dude's grandmother, especially in rock music. Plus, if I remember correctly, in the late 80s and during the 90s, accepted gender roles were pretty conservative and business-oriented, compared to the late 60s and 70s with their sensitive, long-haired singer songwriters.
Oh that’s a great take, you might be right about the American market aspect.

Well yes, but what I find interesting is that it happened almost immediately after they broke up, as if done deliberately (?) to sort of distance himself from the Smiths days.

Yes, deliberate. He still is, especially with the media that still label him as ‘former front man of The Smiths’ or
label him as flower swinging Pope of mope, bigmouth, ad nauseam.

As far as videos I think he was happy finally finding Tim Board to work with, and he liked to refer to them as short films rather than promo videos.

Btw, I also think his change in lyric writing is also a deliberate move away from an older self.

I might be reading too much into it though.

That’s fine. It’s what a fan site is for, or should be.

I was thinking the same thing
He was so breathtaking during the Smith era, i like his flower boy image, not only his clothing style but also his facial expression and mannerism are very different, his eyes looked so big and blue.
He was goodlooking even after but i'm not too much into that agressive style he started to adopt

Yes, deliberate. He still is, especially with the media that still label him as ‘former front man of The Smiths’ or
label him as flower swinging Pope of mope, bigmouth, ad nauseam.
Yes, I agree.
It’s almost like he ended up creating an entirely new ‘persona’ for himself, and quite intentionally so.
As far as videos I think he was happy finally finding Tim Board to work with, and he liked to refer to them as short films rather than promo videos.
Didn’t know the name behind those videos, thanks for the reference!

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing
He was so breathtaking during the Smith era, i like his flower boy image, not only his clothing style but also his facial expression and mannerism are very different, his eyes looked so big and blue.
He was goodlooking even after but i'm not too much into that agressive style he started to adopt
Well as someone has already said, we all grow older by the day, so it’s inevitable that he would change eventually.

But I agree about his more ‘aggressive’ style, it seems to me that the split made him a bit bitter (which I understand), so he decided to change his direction entirely.

His post-Smiths work does seem to be much more provocative in a way with a few very sensual (erotic almost) undertones to it (Certain People I Know music video etc.) compared to his earlier work (except the infamous Hand in Glove sleeve of course :D).

Well as someone has already said, we all grow older by the day, so it’s inevitable that he would change eventually.

But I agree about his more ‘aggressive’ style, it seems to me that the split made him a bit bitter (which I understand), so he decided to change his direction entirely.

His post-Smiths work does seem to be much more provocative in a way with a few very sensual (erotic almost) undertones to it (Certain People I Know music video etc.) compared to his earlier work (except the infamous Hand in Glove sleeve of course :D).
Oh, i agree
Everyone get old and i think Morrissey is aging gracefully, his face is still his face.
And yes, after the smiths break up his whole character just seem more bitter and agressive, i just miss how he looked during the smith, there was something fresh about him, his whole expression was more relaxed and happier

Nobody dressed the same way in 1988 as they did in 1983, except maybe Beefeaters.

Nobody dressed the same way in 1988 as they did in 1983, except maybe Beefeaters.
Sure, but I don't think Morrissey ever cared about 'current' fashion trends all that much, so what difference does it make if it's 1983 or 1988?

He always seemed to have a very unique style which didn't fall into any mainstream categories at the time, so the abrupt change might actually mean something in that particular case. Or not.

Back
Top Bottom