Morrison, CO - Red Rocks (July 16, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Ganglord / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / First Of The Gang To Die / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Staircase At The University / The Bullfighter Dies / Yes, I Am Blind / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / What She Said / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full // Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by ThievesLikeUs, correction by mcse2200, setlist.fm

• Morrissey, Future Islands at Red Rocks Amphitheatre review by Ian Gassman, photos by Lisa Higginbotham (24 total) - Reverb

morrison.jpg
  • Morrissey / Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO (283 photos / videos) - CrowdAlbum

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back to hotel, highlights:
> Future Islands were awesome
> Opened with Suedehead
> Moz was into it, pretty chatty, not many handshakes to start but lots of handshakes last 3-4 songs
> Personal Favorites: Crashing Bores/Staircase/Everday
> Voice was strong, energy level high
> Crowd was super into it, lots of dancing/standing/singing along (good mix of young and old)
> Meat is murder had desired effect, lots of looking away from screen and people effected
> Venue was insane, Red Rocks is gorgeous, but I do prefer seeing MOZ in a smaller venue
> 2 song encore: Everyday/TQID
> Overall strong show for a large venue

Sure doesn't look like that concert film "Under a Blood Red Sky" by that group where 3/4 of the band are Brits. Anonymous-

Suedehead
Alma Matters
Ganglord
Speedway
World Peace Is None of Your Business
Kiss Me a Lot
First of the Gang to Die
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Staircase at the University
The Bullfighter Dies
Yes, I Am Blind
I Will See You in Far-Off Places
The World Is Full of Crashing Bores
What She Said
Meat Is Murder
Now My Heart Is Full

Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Queen Is Dead

Suedehead
Alma Matters
Ganglord
Speedway
Kiss Me a Lot
First of the Gang to Die
The Bullfighter Dies
Yes, I Am Blind
What She Said
Meat Is Murder
Now My Heart Is Full

Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Queen Is Dead

That set list feels like it flows better and a great encore as well

That set list feels like it flows better and a great encore as well

It's interesting that he's gone from playing around 10 songs from 'World Peace...' at the start of the tour in Europe to now playing only 4 songs. I still enjoy listening to the 'World Peace...' record though I thought it was patchy live ( Kiss Me A Lot, Smiler, I'm Not a Man and Staircase were great live, while World Peace, Istanbul, Neal Cassady and One of Our Own sounded clunky). I think Moz has realised with time that although the record was called World Peace is None of Your Business, a lot of his back catalogue already fit into this theme without the need for a whole record.

Artistically, I think Ganglord, Crashing Bores, Far-Off Places, Meat is Murder, Mama Lay Softly and Yes, I am Blind fit well along side Istanbul, I'm Not a Man, and Bullfighter in terms of portraying the themes that the record tried to focus on, and Moz does a good job of breaking it up live with Suedehead and other fan favourites.

I'd love to know if Moz's feelings for the record have changed and I think the Live Album will recognise that Moz didn't need to dedicate a whole album to the themes he wanted to look at.**

**Disclaimer - I really do like the WPINOYB record!

Suedehead
Alma Matters
Ganglord
Speedway
Kiss Me a Lot
First of the Gang to Die
The Bullfighter Dies
Yes, I Am Blind
What She Said
Meat Is Murder
Now My Heart Is Full

Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Queen Is Dead

*Looks good but you are for sure missing Istanbul - about 2/3 of the way through the show

I hesitated buying tickets to this show because I have seen Moz a lot over the last 23 years and I thought he had been struggling a lot recently. But this is Red Rocks and to see anyone at Red Rocks is a treat. I was blown away by how good the show was! Moz was in great form and seemed to really be enjoying himself. Red Rocks holds about 9,000 and I'd say there were probably 5,000 there. The band sounded great - wow.

Now - Future Islands - they were simply bad - but people were into them so...
That lead singer has some great potential - if it wasn't for the growling, chest beating, crying on stage and freakin weird "dancing"

A few notes on banter etc:
Moz changed the lyrics on Suedehead to something like 'you had to sneak into my room, just to see the gloom'
In reference to our legal marajuana he said 'there's a funny smell in the air...this is Colorado...and we do what Coloradan's do!'
For the encore 'we are going to do 2 more for you and then you can get on your skateboards and go home!'

Other thoughts:

I have to say Gustavo is SUPER talented but I didn't like him doing the ending of Speedway.

It was disappointing to see the super THUGS standing right on the side of the stage - ready to POUNCE - I mean that 1 dude on the Boz side looked intense - Moz should let security know that even if people get on stage it's only because we love him and not to hurt him. I only saw 1 girl attempt and Moz didn't even see her.

He threw his white shirt at the end of the show

About 1/2 way through the show someone threw a bouquet of flowers on stage and a security guy came over to get it but Moz picked it up and said "oh are these for me?"

During TQID Moz stood facing the queen on the screen behind and was flipping her off

At the end of the show - at the end of TQID - Matt stood up and kicked over his drum kit and then picked up a drum and threw it! As if to say 'I just kicked your asses!' - it was a great end to a high energy encore! It also looked like he may have hit himself in the face - hope he was OK.

To Moz and the band: THANK YOU for an amazing show at the best venue in the world!

Last edited:
isn't there way more 2004 plus in that set list though

I was referring to the fact that the ratio of pre-Quarry to Quarry and beyond material is much higher than on recent outings at 50/50 (ish).
I also found it interesting that he is now down to 4 (or 5 if Istanbul was included) songs from WPINOYB, barely 12 months after the release of the 'best album he ever recorded'.

I was referring to the fact that the ratio of pre-Quarry to Quarry and beyond material is much higher than on recent outings at 50/50 (ish).
I also found it interesting that he is now down to 4 (or 5 if Istanbul was included) songs from WPINOYB, barely 12 months after the release of the 'best album he ever recorded'.

oh i wouldnt put much stock in that. we only see it from our perspective but really when you tour an album and have a huge back catalog it gets really really boring to keep playing the same songs. i think the setlists often reflect the bands personal tastes and what they are enthusiastic to play from there perspective for there reasons and there isnt as much thought put into audience reaction as people make it out to be. im guessing theres some "i really dont wanna play that boring ass arpeggio again and if i do ill probably subconsciously play it blandly". the performances go much better for everyone involved when the performers like what theryre playing and theres a lot of behind the scenes factors that go into what theyn like. so to sum up basically i think it totally normal to reduce the songs in the set that youve been touring for the last year and that it has nothing to do with how they or he feels objectively about the songs or the audience reaction to them. also that said i loved world peace. beautifully musically diverse and lyrically very provocative and insightful. i think once all the drama that has nothing to do with the actual music or album dies down itll be seen as one of his best. also for all the people saying they think moz tries to play on an image of lonely depression i couldnt find many songs on that album that fit that stereotype. it was a very extroverted album in a lot of ways which was kinda different and contrasting to his enduring public image

oh i wouldnt put much stock in that. we only see it from our perspective but really when you tour an album and have a huge back catalog it gets really really boring to keep playing the same songs. i think the setlists often reflect the bands personal tastes and what they are enthusiastic to play from there perspective for there reasons and there isnt as much thought put into audience reaction as people make it out to be. im guessing theres some "i really dont wanna play that boring ass arpeggio again and if i do ill probably subconsciously play it blandly". the performances go much better for everyone involved when the performers like what theryre playing and theres a lot of behind the scenes factors that go into what theyn like. so to sum up basically i think it totally normal to reduce the songs in the set that youve been touring for the last year and that it has nothing to do with how they or he feels objectively about the songs or the audience reaction to them. also that said i loved world peace. beautifully musically diverse and lyrically very provocative and insightful. i think once all the drama that has nothing to do with the actual music or album dies down itll be seen as one of his best. also for all the people saying they think moz tries to play on an image of lonely depression i couldnt find many songs on that album that fit that stereotype. it was a very extroverted album in a lot of ways which was kinda different and contrasting to his enduring public image

I politely disagree.

also for all the people saying they think moz tries to play on an image of lonely depression i couldnt find many songs on that album that fit that stereotype. it was a very extroverted album in a lot of ways which was kinda different and contrasting to his enduring public image

:rofl: Hellooooo ... Earth Is The LONELIEST Planet Of All. Apart from that song, it is hardly an optimistic album.

Just got back to hotel, highlights:
> Future Islands were awesome
> Opened with Suedehead
> Moz was into it, pretty chatty, not many handshakes to start but lots of handshakes last 3-4 songs
> Personal Favorites: Crashing Bores/Staircase/Everday
> Voice was strong, energy level high
> Crowd was super into it, lots of dancing/standing/singing along (good mix of young and old)
> Meat is murder had desired effect, lots of looking away from screen and people effected
> Venue was insane, Red Rocks is gorgeous, but I do prefer seeing MOZ in a smaller venue
> 2 song encore: Everyday/TQID
> Overall strong show for a large venue

I would say it was about a little over 3/4th full. First time seeing the MOZZA and it was great! I'm in agreement with your highlights. I loved how fantastic his voice sounds, very on point. I probably would have preferred a small venue as well because then he would have looked to the left more (which I would have went insane) but overall it was beaut!

Moz must really like "Paris" to keep belting it out just about every night since 2007. It's a good song, but for the love of all things holy.... put it on the shelf for a bit.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom