Morrison, CO - Red Rocks (July 16, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Ganglord / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / First Of The Gang To Die / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Staircase At The University / The Bullfighter Dies / Yes, I Am Blind / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / What She Said / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full // Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by ThievesLikeUs, correction by mcse2200, setlist.fm

• Morrissey, Future Islands at Red Rocks Amphitheatre review by Ian Gassman, photos by Lisa Higginbotham (24 total) - Reverb

morrison.jpg
  • Morrissey / Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO (283 photos / videos) - CrowdAlbum

Last edited:
*Looks good but you are for sure missing Istanbul - about 2/3 of the way through the show

I hesitated buying tickets to this show because I have seen Moz a lot over the last 23 years and I thought he had been struggling a lot recently. But this is Red Rocks and to see anyone at Red Rocks is a treat. I was blown away by how good the show was! Moz was in great form and seemed to really be enjoying himself. Red Rocks holds about 9,000 and I'd say there were probably 5,000 there. The band sounded great - wow.

Now - Future Islands - they were simply bad - but people were into them so...
That lead singer has some great potential - if it wasn't for the growling, chest beating, crying on stage and freakin weird "dancing"

A few notes on banter etc:
Moz changed the lyrics on Suedehead to something like 'you had to sneak into my room, just to see the gloom'
In reference to our legal marajuana he said 'there's a funny smell in the air...this is Colorado...and we do what Coloradan's do!'
For the encore 'we are going to do 2 more for you and then you can get on your skateboards and go home!'

Other thoughts:

I have to say Gustavo is SUPER talented but I didn't like him doing the ending of Speedway.

It was disappointing to see the super THUGS standing right on the side of the stage - ready to POUNCE - I mean that 1 dude on the Boz side looked intense - Moz should let security know that even if people get on stage it's only because we love him and not to hurt him. I only saw 1 girl attempt and Moz didn't even see her.

He threw his white shirt at the end of the show

About 1/2 way through the show someone threw a bouquet of flowers on stage and a security guy came over to get it but Moz picked it up and said "oh are these for me?"

During TQID Moz stood facing the queen on the screen behind and was flipping her off

At the end of the show - at the end of TQID - Matt stood up and kicked over his drum kit and then picked up a drum and threw it! As if to say 'I just kicked your asses!' - it was a great end to a high energy encore! It also looked like he may have hit himself in the face - hope he was OK.

To Moz and the band: THANK YOU for an amazing show at the best venue in the world!

Maybe he's done with stage invaders. They aren't all gentle-I've seen him get body slammed on this tour and enough is enough. People don't realise this isn't 1983 anymore and he's a 56 year old man.

Moz must really like "Paris" to keep belting it out just about every night since 2007. It's a good song, but for the love of all things holy.... put it on the shelf for a bit.

i think he does though i love it as well. its really really fun to sing.

agreed about the venue. beautiful

Maybe he's done with stage invaders. They aren't all gentle-I've seen him get body slammed on this tour and enough is enough. People don't realise this isn't 1983 anymore and he's a 56 year old man.

Agreed. I was at his show at the Tilles Center on Long Island in January of 2013 and one woman basically mauled him onstage towards the end of the show, digging her hands into his neck. If you watch the video online, Morrissey first is standing very still for a few minutes after like 6 security guys pulled this maniac off him, and then is adjusting his neck and looks kinda miffed. I really don't understand the mentality of the stage invaders sometimes. I understand wanting to shake his hand, or give him a hug, but to pounce on him like a wild animal potentially hurting yourself and him in the process, I don't get it....

oh i wouldnt put much stock in that. we only see it from our perspective but really when you tour an album and have a huge back catalog it gets really really boring to keep playing the same songs. i think the setlists often reflect the bands personal tastes and what they are enthusiastic to play from there perspective for there reasons and there isnt as much thought put into audience reaction as people make it out to be. im guessing theres some "i really dont wanna play that boring ass arpeggio again and if i do ill probably subconsciously play it blandly". the performances go much better for everyone involved when the performers like what theryre playing and theres a lot of behind the scenes factors that go into what theyn like. so to sum up basically i think it totally normal to reduce the songs in the set that youve been touring for the last year and that it has nothing to do with how they or he feels objectively about the songs or the audience reaction to them. also that said i loved world peace. beautifully musically diverse and lyrically very provocative and insightful. i think once all the drama that has nothing to do with the actual music or album dies down itll be seen as one of his best. also for all the people saying they think moz tries to play on an image of lonely depression i couldnt find many songs on that album that fit that stereotype. it was a very extroverted album in a lot of ways which was kinda different and contrasting to his enduring public image

Do yo really think the band's personal taste has anything to do with Moz not playing WPINOYB? I think it has more to do with the fact that maybe moz realised that people didn't connect with the album and that a lot of people that go to see him are more casual fans that don't care about his new stuff and only care about his old solo and the smiths' songs .

Do yo really think the band's personal taste has anything to do with Moz not playing WPINOYB? I think it has more to do with the fact that maybe moz realised that people didn't connect with the album and that a lot of people that go to see him are more casual fans that don't care about his new stuff and only care about his old solo and the smiths' songs .

i think he knows it can effect the performance especially of a rock and roll pop music show. i also dont really think that all the people who go see him are older casual fans of his new stuff. many people in the states got on board with quarry and know him from there or some person said in that thread "the first time you heard the smiths". out of the like seven response at least two i can remember were roughly in that category. one got into them only because of the decemberists so i dont think that about the attending audience and really even if that was the case (not the two times i saw him) i dont think he really cares as to what the audience wants or expects and doest really cater to it

Thanks for all the details mcse2200.

That venue is beautiful - what a great place must have been amazing to be there and see the man.

*Looks good but you are for sure missing Istanbul - about 2/3 of the way through the show

I hesitated buying tickets to this show because I have seen Moz a lot over the last 23 years and I thought he had been struggling a lot recently. But this is Red Rocks and to see anyone at Red Rocks is a treat. I was blown away by how good the show was! Moz was in great form and seemed to really be enjoying himself. Red Rocks holds about 9,000 and I'd say there were probably 5,000 there. The band sounded great - wow.

That lead singer has some great potential - if it wasn't for the growling, chest beating, crying on stage and freakin weird "dancing"

Moz changed the lyrics on Suedehead to something like 'you had to sneak into my room, just to see the gloom'
In reference to our legal marajuana he said 'there's a funny smell in the air...this is Colorado...and we do what Coloradan's do!'
For the encore 'we are going to do 2 more for you and then you can get on your skateboards and go home!'

Other thoughts:

I have to say Gustavo is SUPER talented but I didn't like him doing the ending of Speedway.

It was disappointing to see the super THUGS standing right on the side of the stage - ready to POUNCE - I mean that 1 dude on the Boz side looked intense - Moz should let security know that even if people get on stage it's only because we love him and not to hurt him. I only saw 1 girl attempt and Moz didn't even see her.

About 1/2 way through the show someone threw a bouquet of flowers on stage and a security guy came over to get it but Moz picked it up and said "oh are these for me?"

During TQID Moz stood facing the queen on the screen behind and was flipping her off

At the end of the show - at the end of TQID - Matt stood up and kicked over his drum kit and then picked up a drum and threw it! As if to say 'I just kicked your asses!' - it was a great end to a high energy encore! It also looked like he may have hit himself in the face - hope he was OK.

To Moz and the band: THANK YOU for an amazing show at the best venue in the world!

I thought the show was great. I went with my date after all, and it made it all the better for me. I liked the setlist, but kept hoping he was going to play Neal Cassady. His banter was hilarious, "We're so happy to be in Morrison!" Which I shouted "Self absorbed!" as long with his quip about marijuana.

I was impressed by the vegetarian food, I thought Colorado was going to play a fast one and say, "Oh, ok." (when it's just soy).

Band did sound amazing, but I couldn't handle the police brutality or Meat Is Murder, I closed my eyes or walked out. Yes, I Am Blind was a nice surprise, but the piano intro depressed me because I thought my date wasn't enjoying the show (she normally really quiet, and she was on her phone sometimes) and it affected my mood.

I ran into April Richardson before Future Islands started, and I asked her for date advice. I was still excited to see Anne Sexton during the pre-show.

I bought my date a shirt during the encore, but they didn't have her size so she had to make due. She scoffed at my "You should Kiss Me A Lot" suggestion, but she held my hand, at which point the pleasure in me ran through all my limbs.

Some one posted a pic of a deer near the venue, bet the animals enjoyed his music, sure he would have liked that.

You obviously don't get it. That's part of the reason that they are so great! Sam T Herring has so much charisma on stage; he's an amazing frontman. One of the best live bands there is currently as well.

Some one posted a pic of a deer near the venue, bet the animals enjoyed his music, sure he would have liked that.

The most stupid comment ever !
You'll be telling me animals enjoy flashing lights, loud bangs and fireworks next.
FACT ! The animals will NOT have enjoyed being upset by his Crank activity.

It's not rocket science you know ! Once again [rollseyes] NOT ANIMAL FRIENDLY !

Why are you cult lot so un-hinged about what is animal friendly and what is not animal friendly ?
I think I know the answer. " put your hand in the fire, simple Steven says "

I hope you discover you have a brain of your own one day !
Good luck

Benny-the-British-Butcher

That lead singer has some great potential - if it wasn't for the growling, chest beating, crying on stage and freakin weird "dancing".

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

qLgTHu.gif

BTW, I love this band. Saw them at Gov Ball NYC and they blew the f***ing roof off the tent.

We saw 5 of the recent shows (Akron - Bloomington) and he always played at least 5 songs from "World Peace..." which means at least 25% of the set list was new material. One show does not make a trend.

As far as a onstage security, I only recall one stage invader being tossed from the stage (and everyone in the audience gasped when it happened) at the shows we attended. They may look menacing but they were for the most part restrained in getting people off the stage in shows that we saw. I don't think Moz has any problem with the 99% that get on stage that don't try to take his head off as was described in the one incident. The shows that we've been to that he seemed to enjoy the most had a healthy dose of stage invasion attempts.

Summary: Good show, but too much drama and personal medical issue prevented my enjoyment

I was at the show early, lucky to get quite good seats, up front, front row.

Contrary to others, I really enjoyed Future Islands. They were a bit odd, but the front man's passion and presence were exquisite.

I'd say venue was 2/3 to 3/4 full. Capacity is listed as 9450.

Prior to Moz coming on, we went to buy t-shirts. Another person apparently took one of the t-shirts on the table and the vendor accused me of stealing it and being in cahoots with them. Much drama as they called police over who wanted to see my ID, I said I have no shirt, I didn't take it. She demanded I pay for this shirt another person took, I declined and asked for manager, she said she'd have me thrown out, manager said if you didn't take I can't ask you to pay for it.

As the show started, we moved from our front row seats to the front crude imposing railing. A drunk 25-30 year old woman who someone called "Julian" was yelling at a person that had been sitting by us. She flipped him off and pushed her hand into his face. He slapped her hand away. Security came up and asked me what happened as the two people shouted at each other, as I was behind and between them.

Now, here's more drama. This was "Front row Security" which is apparently different from "Stage Security" which seems to also be different from Morrissey's personal security.

The woman screamed as I expained what I saw demanding that the person she flipped off be thrown out, and me too because "I was trying to get her thrown out." The front row security guy explained to stage security he was looking into it and the stage security ignored him and immediately "took the side" of the drunk lady. Apparently she was friends with the front row security because they demanded I move away from her (in front of the seats I'd purchased.) I declined and they said I could leave if I didn't. So, I moved over and ended up about 3 people from the front, 20 feet to the left. As I was walking away, in clear of both Front Row and Stage security, she threw her cup at my and it hit my ear. It hurt, but not badly, but the affront was cruel and explicitly ignored by Security. After she did that, she started screaming that both me and my wife had hit her and should be thrown out. Just silly, and they left her there, at the front, barely able to stand against the rail, screaming at anyone and everyone. Hard to believe but it was so. Shame on them.

Not the end of the world, first world problems, right? Still, it's so sad to be waylaid by such drama at such an opportunity to see Moz.

Morrissey came out and was in fine form, strong, confident, focused, consumate professional.

As the crowd pushed more my wife (on a crutch and foot brace) was in front of me with my arms around her keeping people from bumping her. Shortly after the third song started, she fainted, from the heat or dehydration or who knows what, maybe from that denver 'scent' as silly as it might sound.

I didn't know she'd fainted, I just knew she had collapsed in my arms, back into me. After 5 seconds I realized she wasn't responsive and I walked backwards through the crowd, bumping people with my back for 60 seconds or so, dragging her to the side and laying her down on her back. I checked her breathing and it was fine, so I asked Security to call a medic.

After some time, they arrived with a gurney and we went into the bowels of Red Rocks to the first aid/medical room, from which we distantly listened to the rest of the concert.

The EMTs did a fine job of support and care.

Here are my complaints:

1. It's not my job as a customer to guard the vendors shirts and they shouldn't act as if it is.

2. Security paid no attention to the seat # listed on my armband, and clearly played favorites with this drunk lady.

3. Alot of the front row crowd seemed to lack of sense of kindness or love, and were quite inconsiderate. I'm used to fending for myself at Moz show, and it's quite different when one is tending to a lame wife.

I'm sad how things turned out. Trouble loves me, I suppose. Thanks for listening.

Wife is fine which is really all that matters, and we see him again in SLC, but this time I'll stay away from unruly people.

So many of us are drawn to Morrissey because of our challenges, our battles, and the strengths and perspective he gives us.

I've seen him regularly since 1989 or so, and it just seems over time that our sad group has bifurcated into gentle caring kind people, and broken angry people. Of course, a large set of concert goers are ambivalent to the core issues, but.. I don't know.

Such a little thing as kindness and courtesy makes such a big difference.

Sorry for such a horrible experience LooksGreatInBack . I have heard on here before of the "front row Mafia" that gets special treatment for Moz jigs. I kind of thought , no way such a thing existed but now my eyes are being opened to such a strange reality existing in Morrissey land . Yes kindness has been toss aside .

i think he knows it can effect the performance especially of a rock and roll pop music show. i also dont really think that all the people who go see him are older casual fans of his new stuff. many people in the states got on board with quarry and know him from there or some person said in that thread "the first time you heard the smiths". out of the like seven response at least two i can remember were roughly in that category. one got into them only because of the decemberists so i dont think that about the attending audience and really even if that was the case (not the two times i saw him) i dont think he really cares as to what the audience wants or expects and doest really cater to it

The guy's obsessed with having (& not having) a record label, which is weird, because labels don't have money to promote artists anymore (at least a guy at his level), & all they'd do is take half/three-fourths of the money brought in from sales. I honestly think he was thinking if he did a successful tour where 60% of the material is from a record that is currently not available, someone would want to get on that train, sign him up, & re-release it. After doing Madison Square didn't budge the industry (something Moz noted), maybe he kinda gave up & said "Eh, let's just play whatever", though "whatever" is limited because the band's in the middle of a tour.

I love him, but what label would take a chance on him nowadays? He thinks he's a bigger star than he is (he's an icon, but he's no star, not in 2015), but his attitude does not match his sales. And streaming is all most do anyway---why split the .002 cents with anyone? *I* can get my music on the streaming sites (& iTunes, Amazon, etc), but I can't run a Morrissey tour to promote it.

Summary: Good show, but too much drama and personal medical issue prevented my enjoyment

Contrary to others, I really enjoyed Future Islands. They were a bit odd, but the front man's passion and presence were exquisite.

Prior to Moz coming on, we went to buy t-shirts. Another person apparently took one of the t-shirts on the table and the vendor accused me of stealing it and being in cahoots with them. Much drama as they called police over who wanted to see my ID, I said I have no shirt, I didn't take it. She demanded I pay for this shirt another person took, I declined and asked for manager, she said she'd have me thrown out, manager said if you didn't take I can't ask you to pay for it.

As the show started, we moved from our front row seats to the front crude imposing railing. A drunk 25-30 year old woman who someone called "Julian" was yelling at a person that had been sitting by us. She flipped him off and pushed her hand into his face. He slapped her hand away. Security came up and asked me what happened as the two people shouted at each other, as I was behind and between them.

Now, here's more drama. This was "Front row Security" which is apparently different from "Stage Security" which seems to also be different from Morrissey's personal security.

The woman screamed as I expained what I saw demanding that the person she flipped off be thrown out, and me too because "I was trying to get her thrown out." The front row security guy explained to stage security he was looking into it and the stage security ignored him and immediately "took the side" of the drunk lady. Apparently she was friends with the front row security because they demanded I move away from her (in front of the seats I'd purchased.) I declined and they said I could leave if I didn't. So, I moved over and ended up about 3 people from the front, 20 feet to the left. As I was walking away, in clear of both Front Row and Stage security, she threw her cup at my and it hit my ear. It hurt, but not badly, but the affront was cruel and explicitly ignored by Security. After she did that, she started screaming that both me and my wife had hit her and should be thrown out. Just silly, and they left her there, at the front, barely able to stand against the rail, screaming at anyone and everyone. Hard to believe but it was so. Shame on them.

Not the end of the world, first world problems, right? Still, it's so sad to be waylaid by such drama at such an opportunity to see Moz.

Morrissey came out and was in fine form, strong, confident, focused, consumate professional.

As the crowd pushed more my wife (on a crutch and foot brace) was in front of me with my arms around her keeping people from bumping her. Shortly after the third song started, she fainted, from the heat or dehydration or who knows what, maybe from that denver 'scent' as silly as it might sound.

I didn't know she'd fainted, I just knew she had collapsed in my arms, back into me. After 5 seconds I realized she wasn't responsive and I walked backwards through the crowd, bumping people with my back for 60 seconds or so, dragging her to the side and laying her down on her back. I checked her breathing and it was fine, so I asked Security to call a medic.

After some time, they arrived with a gurney and we went into the bowels of Red Rocks to the first aid/medical room, from which we distantly listened to the rest of the concert.

Here are my complaints:

1. It's not my job as a customer to guard the vendors shirts and they shouldn't act as if it is.

2. Security paid no attention to the seat # listed on my armband, and clearly played favorites with this drunk lady.

3. Alot of the front row crowd seemed to lack of sense of kindness or love, and were quite inconsiderate. I'm used to fending for myself at Moz show, and it's quite different when one is tending to a lame wife.

I'm sad how things turned out. Trouble loves me, I suppose. Thanks for listening.

Wife is fine which is really all that matters, and we see him again in SLC, but this time I'll stay away from unruly people.

So many of us are drawn to Morrissey because of our challenges, our battles, and the strengths and perspective he gives us.

I've seen him regularly since 1989 or so, and it just seems over time that our sad group has bifurcated into gentle caring kind people, and broken angry people. Of course, a large set of concert goers are ambivalent to the core issues, but.. I don't know.

Victim much?

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Here are my complaints:

Welcome to Steven's messy cult world. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience and hope you won't be put off going to future performances. Please post your details and I shall arrange for a signed copy of Kerrygold for you as a kind gesture.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

From up above !
It wasn't sold out, some rocks had to be painted black.
Future Islands stole the show and should have been the headline act.
Steven is still a __nker. ( psss! He eats cheese like there's no tomorrow ! )

The Ghost of Meat Fed Wilson

Other thoughts:

Red Rocks holds about 9,000 and I'd say there were probably 5,000 there

Another over-reach, yet San Diego sold out 'immediately'. Because: tiny venue? It must sting Morrissey to realise that with these figures for Red Rocks, London and Hull, the writing's on the wall. He's dropping songs from WPINOYB as promoters feed back that audiences are snoring through them.

best
GOBB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom