Morricone 2010 interview mentions 'Dear God'

Thanks so much for posting this. As a massive fan of Morricone this was a great interview that I hadn't read before.

You've seen the Youtube video of Moz, Boz and the band listening to Morricone put the strings together for Dear God.

I respect Morrissey 'til the end, but to "discard" something Morricone has written for your song...Takes some balls. If there's ever a re-release of Tormentors, I hope it contains the full strings.

This may or may not have already been reported.

http://thequietus.com/articles/0405...e-ugly-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-the-thing

Thought it was interesting what Morricone had to say about his arrangements for 'Dear God' not being used and it not being "Morrissey's style".

Always wanted to hear that musical piece he had in mind for Morrissey to perform at Carnegie Hall... another what-could-have-been!

"Did you meet Morrissey before working on some of the strings for Ringleader Of The Tormentors? EM: I didn’t meet him personally, I spoke to the producer Tony Visconti before starting but you know, he did not use what I did for the album anyway. It was not his style."

Exactly what is "Morrissey's style"?

"Did you meet Morrissey before working on some of the strings for Ringleader Of The Tormentors? EM: I didn’t meet him personally, I spoke to the producer Tony Visconti before starting but you know, he did not use what I did for the album anyway. It was not his style."

Exactly what is "Morrissey's style"?

Synth strings :D

The heavy-strings fan mix I downloaded from the bootleg section is better than what was on the album IMHO. I wonder if that's more of what Morricone was going for?

so is there any way to hear the Morricone arrangement of "Dear God" :confused: please? :straightface:

Then what's that string arraignment we hear on "Dear God"?

It's Tony Visconti's final mix for the album. Certain parts from Morricone's full score are truncated as (presumably) directed by Morrissey. I personally prefer the fan mix with the full strings. It would certainly be something to see and hear performed live with a full string ensemble.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original strings are far superior to my ears than on the final mix and really enhance the power of the song. I hope Moz relents one day and puts out the full string version officially.

The original strings are far superior to my ears than on the final mix and really enhance the power of the song. I hope Moz relents one day and puts out the full string version officially.

Well, remember, the full string mix we are hearing is a fan-made mix. It is very possible that Visconti deleted Morricone's cut contributions in finalizing the mix. We were only able to hear these strings because of a behind-the-scenes video that became public which included Morricone's ensemble performing passages to the song that were later removed.

Well, remember, the full string mix we are hearing is a fan-made mix. It is very possible that Visconti deleted Morricone's cut contributions in finalizing the mix. We were only able to hear these strings because of a behind-the-scenes video that became public which included Morricone's ensemble performing passages to the song that were later removed.

I really am missing something in my life.No, jesus, I am

It's Tony Visconti's final mix for the album. Certain parts from Morricone's full score are truncated as (presumably) directed by Morrissey. I personally prefer the fan mix with the full strings. It would certainly be something to see and hear performed live with a full string ensemble.

I oughtta agree with you guys.
The "alternative/fan mix" is truly far superior than the album mix.
Who knows if it'll not be released someday, somehow.

That is a very good homegrown mix. Have to agree it's superior.

Also have to say that Alain's basic, melancholic melody is somehow Morricone-esque in its own way. Always wanted to know more about the story behind this track. Did Alain know Morricone was going to be involved and then write music in that vein? Did Morricone himself choose this track to do the most work on?

I'm feeling nostalgic for the Ringleader era for the first time. Have a feeling it'll be reappraised much more positively in years to come (particularly with the right deluxe re-release).

Also have to say that Alain's basic, melancholic melody is somehow Morricone-esque in its own way. Always wanted to know more about the story behind this track. Did Alain know Morricone was going to be involved and then write music in that vein? Did Morricone himself choose this track to do the most work on?

I'm feeling nostalgic for the Ringleader era for the first time. Have a feeling it'll be reappraised much more positively in years to come (particularly with the right deluxe re-release).

I think it's Tony Visconti's idea to approach Morricone.

I don't know too much about stories behind the Dear God's productions, unfortunetely. Besides "Dear God Please Help Me" and "At last I am born" I cannot see other tracks which these string arraigment could work pretty well.

Oh, I knew that (in fact, I posted here on these very boards that Morrissey had to work with Morricone if he were going to record in Italy - lo and behold, Visconti announced that some time after).

What I was wondering is whether the demos (particularly Dear God's) had already been recorded before Morricone's involvement was confirmed, and whether the Maestro listened to the tracks and decided himself where children would sing, strings would be or how the whole creative process worked.

Ultimately it wasn't quite as monumental a collaboration as it could've been, but I still love what is there.

I think it's Tony Visconti's idea to approach Morricone.

Back
Top Bottom