"Morning Starship" single (Jobriath cover) - Messages from Morrissey ~ available 20th March 2019

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morning-starship

Morning Starship.

March 20, 2019

Morrissey's single Morning Starship is available tomorrow - Wednesday 20 March, on iTunes and Spotify. It is a cover version of the song written and released by Jobriath in 1974. It is also the first track on Morrissey's California Son album, released on 24 May.

46763_Untitled_3_saoc49.png

Link posted by joe frady:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ok. I was expecting a little more. Plus kind of a dull Jobriath song. When I heard "Little Dreamer" for the first time, and it was an unreleased Jobriath song at the time, I instantly thought this would be a fantastic song for Moz to cover. And this was a long time ago. But let me know if you guys can see M covering this Jobriath track. Plus this video will kind of give you a little bit about how Jobriath's life was like growing up and so on.

but what about the big elephant still in the room. When in 1992 Morrissey tried tracking Bruce Wayne Campbell, (he never called himself Jobriath after 1976) to see if he would open for Morrissey on the 1992 Arsenal your when I'm fact Jobriath had died of Aids in 1983 living in the Chelsea Hotel playing piano show cabaret tunes...
Talk about EMBARRASSING.......

but what about the big elephant still in the room. When in 1992 Morrissey tried tracking Bruce Wayne Campbell, (he never called himself Jobriath after 1976) to see if he would open for Morrissey on the 1992 Arsenal your when I'm fact Jobriath had died of Aids in 1983 living in the Chelsea Hotel playing piano show cabaret tunes...
Talk about EMBARRASSING.......

Not particularly embarrassing or an elephant in the room. Morrissey mentions it himself in his autobiography.

Back in the pre-internet days not knowing who had snuffed it was a regular occurrence. :)

so 'it'sover just a b-side' bit suprised how quick this is released, it's a song you have to hear more to grab you

Wonderfull cover...one who thinks me about the Smiths sleeves

congrats Morrissey and his band and Joe C. .

I feel like this is my 'thing' now haha, so here - for whoever would like it - is my alternate artwork (incorporating colour gradient from the original Jobriath album sleeve) :)

View attachment 48278
Great. You've neatly got round the problem of the original photo (ie the best version) being the wrong format. And typography that actually works! Well done.

Last edited:
I’ve been a Moz fan for over 30 years and this (as well as “It’s Over”) is a track I can listen to on repeat for hours. Last couple albums I listened to once or twice before shelving, but this is great. Minus the hamfisted poliitical statements on those recent records, this really showcases the once in a lifetime voice he has. Looking forward to this entire album and perhaps a subsequent covers album with a symphony.

That's a really great vocal, Moz. I didn't like the original song at all - in fact I thought it was so terrible I didn't see how it could be reinvented. Glad to be wrong :) Neat the way they've transposed it down and cut out all the theatrical clutter so it's all built around his voice. Works beautifully.

Speaking purely vocally, I think it's pretty amazing to contrast Morrissey's earliest vocals on the Decibel demo with what he is capable of now. Who would have thought back then that he would ever be able to sing this well? Especially as so many singers' voices have started to decline by the time that they reach his age.

Speaking purely vocally, I think it's pretty amazing to contrast Morrissey's earliest vocals on the Decibel demo with what he is capable of now. Who would have thought back then that he would ever be able to sing this well? Especially as so many singers' voices have started to decline by the time that they reach his age.
My worry is that he's becoming a little too polished at the expense of any real feeling. There are tonnes of good singers out there. Not many that can stir real emotion in me though.

Ask Urbanas because he is a dick expert and he loves dick. He knows very much about "morning wood".

'Morning starship' sounds to me like an amalgamation of 'morning wood' and 'pocket rocket', so yes - I think it's probably a thinly veiled (or should that be thickly veined?) penis reference. God knows it wouldn't be the first Morrissey song to bear references to the crotchal region!

My worry is that he's becoming a little too polished at the expense of any real feeling. There are tonnes of good singers out there. Not many that can stir real emotion in me though.

I think there is definitely feeling in this vocal and you can tell that it's a song that has meant a lot to Morrissey for several decades.

I think there is definitely feeling in this vocal and you can tell that it's a song that has meant a lot to Morrissey for several decades.
Songs like ReelAround The Fountain and Hand That Rocks The Cradle sound very emotional for me, yet his vocals are quite limited and flat. Almost, a quiet despondency not wanting to let itself be heard rather than an in your face pull on the heartstrings.

Songs like ReelAround The Fountain and Hand That Rocks The Cradle sound very emotional for me, yet his vocals are quite limited and flat. Almost, a quiet despondency not wanting to let itself be heard rather than an in your face pull on the heartstrings.

That's a really interesting point. They're two entirely different styles of singing, if you compare 83/84 with 2019 - clearly the latter is technically much, much better but does the polish and prowess mean the raw emotion has gone? Is it harder to portray loneliness when you sing like a virtuoso? (I love both both styles, so maybe it's a moot point!)

Those are sad emotional songs though and his own vocal melodies which are meant to be emotional. This is a song that’s kinda funny and catchy

Looks like someone made a video

That's a really interesting point. They're two entirely different styles of singing, if you compare 83/84 with 2019 - clearly the latter is technically much, much better but does the polish and prowess mean the raw emotion has gone? Is it harder to portray loneliness when you sing like a virtuoso? (I love both both styles, so maybe it's a moot point!)
He always sounded good to me, even when detractors said he couldn't sing! My faith in love is still devout. Sounds so awful but so right, like Les Dawson playing the slightly wrong notes on his piano. To my mind, the instruments are there to play all the right notes. If the voice does as well, are you losing a bit of texture?

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom