"Morning Starship" single (Jobriath cover) - Messages from Morrissey ~ available 20th March 2019

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morning-starship

Morning Starship.

March 20, 2019

Morrissey's single Morning Starship is available tomorrow - Wednesday 20 March, on iTunes and Spotify. It is a cover version of the song written and released by Jobriath in 1974. It is also the first track on Morrissey's California Son album, released on 24 May.

46763_Untitled_3_saoc49.png

Link posted by joe frady:

Last edited by a moderator:
his voice is so wonderful, i’ve never heard it this clear before. i just think it would add to it if it were slightly less produced but oh well he’s incredible.

Last edited:
I adore this, it is the best thing he has released in a while. Never did I imagine that he would own this song in this way.

I feel like this is my 'thing' now haha, so here - for whoever would like it - is my alternate artwork (incorporating colour gradient from the original Jobriath album sleeve) :)

Tried, Sighed & Died.jpg

I feel like this is my 'thing' now haha, so here - for whoever would like it - is my alternate artwork (incorporating colour gradient from the original Jobriath album sleeve) :)

46781_Tried_Sighed__Died.jpg

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

tenor.gif

La la la sing a long is fine by me not that I really listen to his music since about 15 years or more ago but maybe in 2021 I will listen to it and shake my head under the swedish sun.

I am only here cause Morrissey is a football hooligan at heart.
Ridiculous. .....straight up stupid

View attachment 48278

Any chance you could create a version with Morrissey, Morning Starship, the stereo logo and the 45rpm etched into the steps? No colour or anything else.

Thanks for posting the links to both the Morrissey cover and the original.
Not being very familiar with the original, Morrissey's version sounds has the familiar feel of a Morrissey song, which means he has soehow made it his own. And that is a good thing.
But compared to the original, his version sounds a bit tame, missing some of the excitement of the original. That being said, Morrissey's voice is more pleasant to listen to.
And the music of the original sounds dated (clearly 70s opéra rock), but I really love it. Band & producer could have gone full blast on this one (in the style of Art Hounds).
I probaby need to give it a few more listenings, preferably not back to back with the original.

Can someone explain the lyrics? Is 'morning starship' a euphamism for 'morning wood'? :squiffy:

Can someone explain the lyrics? Is 'morning starship' a euphamism for 'morning wood'? :squiffy:

Well this line, 'The girl the girl the girl had flown my morning starship', reminds me of The Beatles' Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown). So, maybe they did the deed, she did but he didn't?

'She's gone away what can I do'

You've gotta do, what you've gotta do...

Well this line, 'The girl the girl the girl had flown my morning starship', reminds me of The Beatles' Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown). So, maybe they did the deed, she did but he didn't?

'She's gone away what can I do'

You've gotta do, what you've gotta do...

But yeah, Jobriath was gay, so 'she' becomes 'he'.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom