Morrissey Central "More Issey." & "AYLESBURY" - Aylesbury Waterside Theatre: July 23 concert (April 18, 2023)

More Issey.

unnamed-1.jpg

AYLESBURY

Morrissey will play Aylesbury Waterside Theater on Sunday 23 July. Tickets will be available this Friday. Aylesbury is in Buckinghamshire and is 36 miles outside of London.

unnamed.jpg

Courtenay & Finney I believe.
FWD.

Regards,
FWD.
I drive passed Aylesbury now and again and am always reminded of Morrissey's testicles.

Last edited:
1681859641627.png

I wonder if any further line-up changes will be announced before tickets go on sale. I am definitely worried about Gustavo and Brendan now. I notice Central used MORE-ISSEY as a message headline in July 2022 when announcing that shows in Nottingham, Aylesbury and Swansea would be announced the following week (negated three days later).

Is the photo of Albert and Tom connected? I'm struggling to see a connection. Of course, Buckinghamshire is usually referred to as Bucks, and this is a photo of two young bucks, I guess! A couple of films they appeared in together ('The Dresser' from 1983 and 'A Rather English Marriage' from 1998) are about two men of different status living together in a platonic relationship, with Finney in the domineering position and Courtenay subservient.

Is this the first time Morrissey has “used” a picture of Tom Courtenay?

Tom Courtenay was a major figure in the “kitchen sink” oeuvre that was such a big influence on early Smiths lyrics and cover art, but I don’t recall him being included before or Morrissey even mentioning him in passing.

Albert Finney, on the other hand…

But I guess this could just be typical Sam, getting it all slightly wrong.
Billy Liar was referenced in The South Bank Show documentary, and the film of Billy Liar of course inspired Frankly, Mr Shankly. My guess is this picture was taken some time around 1963, just after Finney had starred in Tom Jones. His face in the photo looks about the age he was in Tom Jones.

Is this the first time Morrissey has “used” a picture of Tom Courtenay?

Tom Courtenay was a major figure in the “kitchen sink” oeuvre that was such a big influence on early Smiths lyrics and cover art, but I don’t recall him being included before or Morrissey even mentioning him in passing.

Albert Finney, on the other hand…

But I guess this could just be typical Sam, getting it all slightly wrong.
Billy Liar (starring Tom Courtenay) was a huge influence on Morrissey's lyrics. For example, William It was Really Nothing, Vicar in a Tutu, The Queen is Dead etc.

It's good to know that not all the greats have gone, and that Albert and Tom became such good friends. I read that they first met properly when Finney was starring on Broadway in 1963. The two went to an American football game and on to an Irish place for lunch. That reminds me that, although Finney's family was from Salford, the name Finney is of Irish origin. Still not sure if there's an Aylesbury connection, though, or if the photo was just chosen for another reason.

Billy Liar (starring Tom Courtenay) was a huge influence on Morrissey's lyrics. For example, William It was Really Nothing, Vicar in a Tutu, The Queen is Dead etc.
Yes, I know, but I don’t think he’s used an image of Tom Courtenay before or mentioned him in interviews.

The Tom Courtenay image and Aylesbury connection may be gently referencing and plugging Lulu. Tom and Lulu have acted together a few times, and Lulu, often mentioned as a Morrissey influence, is also playing the Aylesbury Waterside in a few weeks’ time…

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom