Moonriver - A Tale

J

Johnny

Now this has never been one of my favourite Moz songs I have to admit.
However,my opinion was changed a little when I saw him sing it so beautifully at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in 1995(I think).
Perhaps I was a little in Lurrrveee at the time as well
Anyway,this track has been covered by dozens upon dozens of artists. Virtually all of whom have been totally shite.Right,I digress.

I assumed Moz covered this song as a homage to the film "Breakfast At Tiffany's". I assume "Tiffany's is a restaraunt of some sort and not that flame haired American popstress who hung about shopping malls with very long jumpers on.

Soooo imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a 7" single by a reggae band called "Greyhound" released in 1971. Have a little wild guess as to what record label "Greyhound" were on ? You have got it in one. Trojan-Soon to be the new home of the Mozster ( well he will release on Attack which is an imprint of Trojan).

The song is covered absolutely brilliantly. What other song were "Greyhound" famous for ? "Black and White" an out and out attack on all forms on racism and a plea for people of all races to unite and be at peace.

I have no doubt that this is the version that made Moz want to cover the song.

If anyone is not familiar with the Trojan label it really is very stricking image. A towering centurion standing guard over a lion. I must scan it sometime.

Here is a little bio of Greyhound :-

After being Freddie Notes & The Rudies, and before being Dhanzak, this group were called Greyhound. They were certainlymore successful as Greyhound, enjoying three UK Top 20 singles during 1971-2. The Band were of Jamaican nationality butwere based in Britain. The three hits were on the Trojan label, which was adept at supplying the UK market with pop-oriented reggae records in the early 70's. Greyhound's style was a catchy, sub Johnny Nash brand of the reggae genre. Theirfirst hit was a tuneful plea for racial harmony entitled Black and white - it reached no. 6 in Britain, and was covered for the American market by Three Dog Night who took it to no. 1 there. Then came Moon river, a Greyhound revival of Henry Mancini & Johnny Mercer's standard; it reached the UK no. 12 position. Greyhound's final success was Iam what I am, a no. 20 hit from the songbook of Scott English (of Brandy fame). The lads then faded into obscurity

That's fascinating. I bet you're right.

By the way, Johnny, Tiffany's is a famous jewellers!

> That's fascinating. I bet you're right.

> By the way, Johnny, Tiffany's is a famous jewellers!

Ah thanks for that Gabriella. It wouldn't be a Johhny post unless I had to be corrected about 4 times

At least I haven't done any lists in this one. Patrick will be pleased.

Yes, I actually had single as a kid and played it all the time. I didn't realise it was on Trojan records though. Cheers for that. Does anyone know why Moz changes the title from Moon River to Moonriver? I saw him do it live at the Aston Villa Leisure centre, when he segued into it from the feedback of National Front Disco, the aural contrast, and the thematic tie-in of the two songs was brilliant.

> Yes, I actually had single as a kid and played it all the time. I didn't
> realise it was on Trojan records though. Cheers for that. Does anyone know
> why Moz changes the title from Moon River to Moonriver? I saw him do it
> live at the Aston Villa Leisure centre, when he segued into it from the
> feedback of National Front Disco, the aural contrast, and the thematic
> tie-in of the two songs was brilliant.

"thematic tie-in" ! Dirk you are such a wordsmith .Brilliant.

Well, it has been said, Johnny... I am something of a wordsmith! Two more questions: You don't have the Moon River record as an mp3, do you? What's the b-side: an instrumental version, I can't quite remember...

> Well, it has been said, Johnny... I am something of a wordsmith! Two more
> questions: You don't have the Moon River record as an mp3, do you? What's
> the b-side: an instrumental version, I can't quite remember...

It is the instrumental, yes.

I was at the Villa Leisure Centre gig, but I don't remember him doing that. Maybe I'd blocked it out because I don't like his version.

> It is the instrumental, yes.

> I was at the Villa Leisure Centre gig, but I don't remember him doing
> that. Maybe I'd blocked it out because I don't like his version.

Yes, he did it right through that tour, I'm sure. I think the Aston Villa set-list was something like: Billy Budd, Have-A-Go, Spring-Heeled, Fatty, The More You Ignore Me, Whatever Happens, We'll Let You Know, Jack the Ripper, Why Don't You...?, Disco, Moonriver, Hold Onto, Boxer, Now My Heart, Speedway, Shoplifters... if memory serves me, which it usually don't.

> Yes, he did it right through that tour, I'm sure. I think the Aston Villa
> set-list was something like: Billy Budd, Have-A-Go, Spring-Heeled, Fatty,
> The More You Ignore Me, Whatever Happens, We'll Let You Know, Jack the
> Ripper, Why Don't You...?, Disco, Moonriver, Hold Onto, Boxer, Now My
> Heart, Speedway, Shoplifters... if memory serves me, which it usually
> don't.

I remember Billy Budd being the opener. I was stood quite near the front - dead chuffed I was gonna get a good glimpse of Moz. Then he came on and did that and the place went mental. I got shoved about all over the place. It wa the first time I had seen Morrissey live and didn't realise how mad the crowd would be. I had bruised ribs for a week!

> Well, it has been said, Johnny... I am something of a wordsmith! Two more
> questions: You don't have the Moon River record as an mp3, do you? What's
> the b-side: an instrumental version, I can't quite remember...

No I haven't got it on MP3 mate. Two songs on the B side.can't rememer the names of them. Neither is instrumental. One of them had very strong anti racist lyrics.

I'll check when I get home and post it on here.Always happy to bung the 5 tracks of the two Greyhound singles on a tape if you want.

> It is the instrumental, yes.

> I was at the Villa Leisure Centre gig, but I don't remember him doing
> that. Maybe I'd blocked it out because I don't like his version.

Maybe you were steaming as usual

> I remember Billy Budd being the opener. I was stood quite near the front -
> dead chuffed I was gonna get a good glimpse of Moz. Then he came on and
> did that and the place went mental. I got shoved about all over the place.
> It wa the first time I had seen Morrissey live and didn't realise how mad
> the crowd would be. I had bruised ribs for a week!

Yes, it was quite mad at the beginning. I was near the front for about 2 seconds, then kept my distance after that...

> No I haven't got it on MP3 mate. Two songs on the B side.can't rememer the
> names of them. Neither is instrumental. One of them had very strong anti
> racist lyrics.

> I'll check when I get home and post it on here.Always happy to bung the 5
> tracks of the two Greyhound singles on a tape if you want.

Cheers. Yes, check it out. I could have sworn it was an instrumental, but I was only about 2 or 3 or something ridiculous, but I remember playing it incessantly on a really bad record player. I'll try to see if I can illegally download it somewhere when I find half a second.

> Maybe you were steaming as usual

????
What does that mean?
Hot?

> ????
> What does that mean?
> Hot?

Jesus ! It means drunk Bluenose.

Back
Top Bottom