Monorail Music refuses to stock Morrissey's new album (January 13, 2020)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Music Store Is Banning Sale of Morrissey Albums

Monorail Music, based in Glasgow, won't be selling Morrissey's new album 'I Am Not a Dog on a Chain', due to the singer's bigotry. They claim others are as well, which is great news. Funding racists is just as despicable as being one yourself. f*** racism and f*** Morrissey.

Via Twitter - at least we know where it isn't! LOL.

@Monorail_Music

Just so you know, like many of our colleagues we won't be stocking the new Morrissey album.
8:56 AM · Jan 13, 2020·Twitter Web App
Retweets

Monorail - with its all-white staff, its all-white customer base (never seen anyone who wasn't white in there), its majority white Indie band stock & it's going to continue to sell the all-white The Smith's, while not selling Moz's album which has people of colour in the band/on the lead single.

They're disgusting.

Louder Than War offer this:

"It’s fair to say that Morrissey has become a toxic brand now. His upcoming new album is proving too hot to handle for many record stores who don’t like his views. Monorail in Glasgow is a great record shop and have tweeted that they will not be stocking the new album…"

https://louderthanwar.com/glasgows-monorail-records-wont-be-stocking-new-morrissey-album/

The Glasgow Times:

AN independent record store in Glasgow has said it will not be stocking the new Morrissey album.

Monorail Music said it would continue to sell records by the Smiths but "like many of our colleagues" would not be selling the singer's 13th studio album, I am not a dog on a chain.

The 60-year-old has repeatedly expressed support for the far-right anti-Islam party For Britain and has said "everyone prefers their own race" when forced to defend his views.

The Monorail post attracted 800 plus likes on Twitter but not everyone was supportive of the move.
Fiona Dodwell posted: "How about businesses stock and store products and let customers choose what they want?

"This achieves nothing, Morrissey will still sell albums - with or without your company "banning" his records. People simply go elsewhere (and learn where NOT to shop next time!)"

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18159307.amp/

Regards,
FWD.

Louder Than War offer this:

"It’s fair to say that Morrissey has become a toxic brand now. His upcoming new album is proving too hot to handle for many record stores who don’t like his views. Monorail in Glasgow is a great record shop and have tweeted that they will not be stocking the new album…"

https://louderthanwar.com/glasgows-monorail-records-wont-be-stocking-new-morrissey-album/

The Glasgow Times:

AN independent record store in Glasgow has said it will not be stocking the new Morrissey album.

Monorail Music said it would continue to sell records by the Smiths but "like many of our colleagues" would not be selling the singer's 13th studio album, I am not a dog on a chain.

The 60-year-old has repeatedly expressed support for the far-right anti-Islam party For Britain and has said "everyone prefers their own race" when forced to defend his views.

The Monorail post attracted 800 plus likes on Twitter but not everyone was supportive of the move.
Fiona Dodwell posted: "How about businesses stock and store products and let customers choose what they want?

"This achieves nothing, Morrissey will still sell albums - with or without your company "banning" his records. People simply go elsewhere (and learn where NOT to shop next time!)"

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18159307.amp/

Regards,
FWD.

I saw that last night. It's an almost unbelievable level of monstering, with those cherry picked pull quotes forever used to make his meaning worse than it is.

He barely gives interviews & he's sued hacks, so he's hardly endeared himself - but I find the way they've turned on him pretty horrific. He probably has more marginal identities than any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Music Store Is Banning Sale of Morrissey Albums

Monorail Music, based in Glasgow, won't be selling Morrissey's new album 'I Am Not a Dog on a Chain', due to the singer's bigotry. They claim others are as well, which is great news. Funding racists is just as despicable as being one yourself. f*** racism and f*** Morrissey.

They are funding him. They're still selling The Smiths albums.

Everyone who buys or streams The Smiths is funding Morrissey.

f*** witch hunts & f*** witch burners.

Regards,
FWD.

c9d7144f3c61012b852c2708ad2682fd.gif

I saw that last night. It's an almost unbelievable level of monstering, with those cherry picked pull quotes forever used to make his meaning worse than it is.

He barely gives interviews & he's sued hacks, so he's hardly endeared himself - but I find the way they've turned on him pretty horrific. He probably has more marginal identities than any of them.

Also Fiona Sturges had another go at him in Unherd, if you want to add another stick to the witch burning.
The Sturges Brexit post will appear in the 'Strange...' thread as it's not particularly directly related to this.
Just for the record, to drive discussion here (whether it fits people's views or not), articles 'for' 'against' & indifferent will be posted. There is no Witch burning agenda - just a reflection of what's out there currently.
I don't particularly have a strong emotional response either way when posting anything here that helps collate information for a story.
How people choose to voice their opinion thereafter is on them. Personally, I seldom give a strong opinion as it feels very futile given: 1. I don't think I've ever seen anyone change their view due to blocks of text on the Internet telling them to do so and 2. The disproportionate levels of bilious response here to perfectly reasonable points are enough to deter me from doing so (as it just leads to back and forths that go nowhere). Further, I don't let anything that is the antithesis of my own view bother me in the slightest particularly.
Regards,
FWD.

Let’s see them get rid of the music by violent misogynists as I hope they aren’t ok finding them

They are funding him. They're still selling The Smiths albums.

Everyone who buys or streams The Smiths is funding Morrissey.

f*** witch hunts & f*** witch burners.
...and witches, Karen. f*** witches too.

Right. It's their business, they can do what the f*** they want. If you want to buy the Morrissey record, get it somewhere else, but there's not a damn thing you can do about Monorail's decision, so shut up.

On Monorail themselves, I've been there many times - the records, the food, (100% veggie) the beer - all top-notch, and they're a great bunch of people, and they are exercising their free will and speech. You know, that thing Morrissey likes so much. But he'd never ask you to boycott somewhere or stop buying something would he? Unless there was a very good reason. Like him not getting money.

Last edited:
If there's folks in Glasgow who don't have access to a computer, this is gonna make it mighty tough on'em.
These non computer folks are gonna have to do one of two things to purchase Moz's new record.
1. Have a family member or friend purchase it for them via the computer.
2. Go to the library and purchase it via the library's computer.

Right. It's their business, they can do what the f*** they want. If you want to buy the Morrissey record, get it somewhere else, but there's not a damn thing you can do about Monorail's decision, so shut up.

On Monorail themselves, I've been there many times - the records, the food, (100% veggie) the beer - all top-notch, and they're a great bunch of people, and they are exercising their free will and speech. You know, that thing Morrissey likes so much. But he'd never ask you to boycott somewhere or stop buying something would he? Unless there was a very good reason. Like him not getting money.
The former veggie hating meat promoting Skinny now comes out as a veggie.

Is there anything you've said over the past 20 years that's actually been true?

This is exactly what he needs to boost sales. He should send them a thank you card when the numbers are in. His upcoming album is his best since Viva Hate.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom