Mojo: "The Smiths’ 50 Greatest Songs" (March 2, 2023)

The Smiths’ 50 Greatest Songs

WHEN JOHNNY MARR FIRST KNOCKED ON MORRISSEY’S DOOR IN 1982, the pair’s initial plan was to become a songwriting powerhouse akin to Brill Building titans Leiber and Stoller.

Though The Smiths’ recording career was as brief as it was brilliant – just four studio albums alongside some of the greatest 45s of the era – the songs Morrissey and Marr penned cemented their reputation as one of the greatest musical partnerships since Lennon and McCartney, and made The Smiths the most important British band of the decade.

(Above playlist appears backwards).
Regards,
FWD.

And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine

I can't describe how many times that song has saved me from my own head, lifted me up. I must have played it thousands of times and that feeling has never worn off, it's pure magic. I have this absurd, hopeless faith that no matter how bad things get (and they're pretty bad), everything in the Mozzerverse will be okay in the end because time can't erase TIAL or dilute the enormous unifying power it has for old fans, new fans, everybody.

No amount of poor albums, shit artwork, controversies or #Labelgate dramas will erase TQID - Billy Bragg, Nile Marr and all the shit-stirrers are just little lights, they don't get it. One day Moz and Marr will bury the hatchet and when they do, I really hope that the bitterness and anger that has just swallowed up so many fans starts to subside.

Greatness already came hand in hand with genius and as the dance unfolded - with such unparalleled urgency and with clamouring disregard and always with such utter and violently flooring beauty - it all played out again and again and again, on song after song after song, and so there is nothing that can ever be eclipsed.

They try, and they all fail.
Nothing else will ever even cone close.
My heart was made of Smiths.
Morrissey was the dagger.
It was all too beautiful.
And like the brightest comet exploding in the sky, it was all truly blinding.

And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side

I can't describe how many times that song has saved me from my own head, lifted me up. I must have played it thousands of times and that feeling has never worn off, it's pure magic. I have this absurd, hopeless faith that no matter how bad things get (and they're pretty bad), everything in the Mozzerverse will be okay in the end because time can't erase TIAL or dilute the enormous unifying power it has for old fans, new fans, everybody.

No amount of poor albums, shit artwork, controversies or #Labelgate dramas will erase TQID - Billy Bragg, Nile Marr and all the shit-stirrers are just little lights, they don't get it. One day Moz and Marr will bury the hatchet and when they do, I really hope that the bitterness and anger that has just swallowed up so many fans starts to subside.
This song just grabbed me the first time I heard it and I just love it more now. I think you are right, something this magical should never be taken for granted, nor the ability to create it. I often say they are better off apart because it seems things have gone too far but I do think they still care for each other very much or there would be apathy where there is anger. Also, totally agree the assholes stoking the flames need to shut up and back off.

Okay, I've slept on it and decided that I would include You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby in the 50 greatest and drop How Soon Is Now? This might seem slightly absurd but I never did like it musically and the lyrics only appeal in part. I used to think that the lines 'I am human and need to be loved/Just like everybody else does' were profound in stating a truth so simply, but now that Morrissey habitually sings/shouts 'No!' repeatedly just after these lines when singing live, the negation or denial implied has made me doubt the wisdom in the lyrics. I also used to like the bit about going home from a club and going home alone and 'you cry and you want to die', but in truth this has never happened to me and now I doubt it would upset me very much to be going home alone. And I don't like anyone saying 'you shut your mouth' to me in any circumstances.

Girlfriend omission is a problem.

PAINT A VULGAR PICTURE is even more criminal. Why do I read this stuff. The list was created by some 30's somethings sitting around a table that didn't grow up with music or in the time.

And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side

I don't, sadly, think they will ever bury the hatchet, but I love everything else about this post!

I don't, sadly, think they will ever bury the hatchet, but I love everything else about this post!
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
but we've something
they'll never have.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom