Mojo (Oct. 2012) cover features The Smiths

Posted by an anonymous person and also goinghome:

October edition of Mojo magazine features The Smiths on the cover:

Excerpt:

FREE CD! THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT: A compendium of indie classics, 1982-1987, featuring Felt, The La’s The Go-Betweens, Billy Bragg, Martin Stephenson and The Daintees, The Nightingales, The Weather Prophets, Television Personalities & more.

THE SMITHS: It’s a tale that’s been told before, but in this extract from his forthcoming biography of the Manchester four-piece Tony Fletcher reveals new details and brings new depths to the story of Morrissey, Marr, Rourke Joyce and the birth of a band. Plus Johnny Marr reveals details of his first solo album and Morrissey brings the noise back to Manchester.

mojo201210.jpg

and blog:

The Smiths On Film, 1983 - 1985
In the new issue of MOJO (on sale in the UK on Tuesday), we celebrate the birth of one of Britain's greatest bands, The Smiths. To accompany our mammoth cover feature, we've put together a video playlist that charts the rise and rise of Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce. We begin in Manchester. It's 1983...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
This must be their 3rd Smiths special, with perfunctory 80s classics indie CD in the last 4 years? And I thought Morrissey was overdoing it on the reissues

Let me guess: Marr has been roped in to discuss 'The Queen Is Dead' for the millionth time, on the condition that they allow a paragraph or so of space for him to discuss his new stuff. Snore.

Question ~ Are The Smiths the new Beatles? With Mojo's help they're becoming as tedious as the Fab Four. Louder snore.

Geez, are you fans or not? What a bunch of whiners. Isn't it better that the band you profess to love is still revered and talked about.. Don't buy it if you find it all so boring...

I see Felt is on Mojo's indie compilation and take that as cue: Check out the wonderful music of Felt and its main man Lawrence (Denim, Go-Kart Mozart) - another British genius, eccentric and icon

I see Felt is on the indie compilation and take that as cue: Check out the wonderful music of Felt and its main man Lawrence (Denim, Go-Kart Mozart) - another British eccentric, genius and icon

I see Felt is on the indie compilation and take that as cue: Check out the wonderful music of Felt and its main man Lawrence (Denim, Go-Kart Mozart) - another British eccentric, genius and icon

Geez, are you fans or not? What a bunch of whiners. Isn't it better that the band you profess to love is still revered and talked about.. Don't buy it if you find it all so boring...

I'm with you..this is awesome.

I also don't understand the wave of whine every time the Smiths are featured on the cover of a magazine like Mojo or Record Collector. They are timeless so it's proof of that accolade, one that potentially attracts new fans with every new cover. The Smiths are not meant to be encased in glass as a trinket or curio - if more people are exposed to them, all the better.

You'll find that happens a lot here...

I'm a Smiths fan. I'm supposed to be whiny, right? :rolleyes:

I love the musical artistry of The Smiths.

What I don't love is these endelss re-heatings of their 'legendary story'. Every one of these dozens of 'Untold Story' pieces is basically the same. I could probably write this new one tonight; you know exactly who's going to be featured and exactly what they're going to say. So maybe Tony Fletcher's interviewed the bus driver who drove the No.27 bus Johnny took to Stretford on that fateful day; I could care less. The only 'truth' I'm interested in any more is Morrissey's, and that'll probably be mostly lies.

I suppose it is great that people are still discussing them, and it's great that new fans are finding out about them, but I grew up when The Smiths were a thorn in the side of the mainstream media. As much as they were worshipped by the few, when I got into them they were generally loathed by the mass culture (as solo Morrissey is now, curiously enough...) There was always that beautiful friction at play. So to see the mainstream clasp them warmly to it's bosom and herd them in to the vintage industry of Beatles, Bowie, Dylan et al...something about it irks me. It's great that they're taking their place with such legends, but there is just something demographic-driven and market-led that depresses me.

The Smiths music fills me with joy. This rips the joy right out.

I'm not really complaining. It's just that I've seen this 'untold story' in Mojo a thousand times for a thousand other bands. I guess I wasn't aware there even was an untold Smiths story at this point, outside Morrissey's version.

exactly who is telling these 'untold stories.'

Johnny "Professional Ex-Smith" Marr and probably a few roadies and gossip-mongers who spoke to Morrissey for 5 minutes in a corridor in 1984. Same shit, different day.

I have a Mojo classic special about Manchester, where all 4 Smihs speak and Morrissey & the story of Manchester.

Came out round 2004[can't find a year or something when it was out]Iguess

Coverfoto is a pic of Morrissey, the first line is part of a few lines on the cover

so it's a just a way to get big sales,extra CD is prolly the most interesting [or not after hearing it]

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom