Mojo (Oct. 2012) cover features The Smiths

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2012 (read-only)' started by goinghome, Aug 24, 2012.

By goinghome on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  1. goinghome

goinghome Guest

Posted by an anonymous person and also goinghome:

October edition of Mojo magazine features The Smiths on the cover:

Excerpt:

FREE CD! THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT: A compendium of indie classics, 1982-1987, featuring Felt, The La’s The Go-Betweens, Billy Bragg, Martin Stephenson and The Daintees, The Nightingales, The Weather Prophets, Television Personalities & more.

THE SMITHS: It’s a tale that’s been told before, but in this extract from his forthcoming biography of the Manchester four-piece Tony Fletcher reveals new details and brings new depths to the story of Morrissey, Marr, Rourke Joyce and the birth of a band. Plus Johnny Marr reveals details of his first solo album and Morrissey brings the noise back to Manchester.

mojo201210.jpg

and blog:

The Smiths On Film, 1983 - 1985
    In the new issue of MOJO (on sale in the UK on Tuesday), we celebrate the birth of one of Britain's greatest bands, The Smiths. To accompany our mammoth cover feature, we've put together a video playlist that charts the rise and rise of Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce. We begin in Manchester. It's 1983...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    1. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      I am really looking forward to picking this issue on Thesmithsmorrissey from Morrisson's just as soon as I possibly can.

I love the way they balance they always balance the 5 years of Thesmiths with morrissey-solo. Just like this site! And just like Morrissey does in his live shows where there is an almost mystical entwinement of Thesmithsmorrissey.

What's not to like? Stop hating on Mojo! I'm just NOT buying it that it's just another Boomer Graveyard for heritage/legacy Festival Pub Rock Dads. No, it's not! It's where 'my generation' build their shrines to surely some of the most AMAAAAAZING! music ever made. PUNK!!!!!!! And POST-PUNK!!!!!!!!! "People try to put us down, just because we still around...." Hater? Hate On! Go and listen to Bieber and One Direction and leave the serious intellectual music to those who have the mature intelligence to discuss it!!!:straightface:

regards
    2. Skylarker
      Skylarker
      :lbf:
    3. MORRIZSEY
      MORRIZSEY
      Was it this one?
      June 2004
      [​IMG]

They have done quite a few in the same vein,
      but the Tony Fletcher stuff might be interesting in the new issue :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4. kittenboss
      kittenboss
      tell it like it is....xxxxx

5. celibate
      celibate
      no, none of them, it's from the MOJO CLASSIC ones

3 other bands named on the cover [smaller than Morrissey, that is the big upper name with&the story of Manchester]

Joy Division
      Oasis
      Stone roses

under the cover a line in white with following bands in smallest typeform on the cover
      happy mondays
      the Fall
      Buzzcocks
      New Order

I can scan it but don't know how to get it saved on my pc, and show it

[even got the orginal NME in 1992 about his rascist allegations, its still in whole but the colour of pasper isn't that proper]
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    6. celibate
      celibate
      I just grabbed another MOJO' special limited editio' from 2004

which is not seen in the ones Morriszey showed

the cover is a well known Smiths pic in the early years

All 4 Smiths members, Morrissey in de spot with daffodils in his hand Joyce on the right, Rourke and Marr on the left.

the title;

' the inside sory Morrissey [bigger lettertype in gold]& the Smiths[smaller lettertype in gold]'

145 pages

foreword by Alex Kapranos on page 3 [Franz Ferdinand]

---

the new MOJO will bring nothing new, as I wrote earlier the CD maybe the
      most interesting

shall look around, thought I have also a Q magazine special, as Morriszey showed there's
      already many special editions about Morrissey or the Smiths released, if your just into the Smiths
      buy it, for the most regulars it's nothing new

goodnight and thank you
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Yeah right! Mojo is going to tell us an untold story? Umm... Not sure!! I will buy it, but I wish Billy Bragg was not in that compilation!! Yuck!!! And double yuck!!
    8. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Tony Fletcher's book is the basis of this article. I, for one, am looking forward to his book, which has been a long time in the making.

P..
    9. grant gauld
      grant gauld
      whats the name of the film that the boy in the cover of the cd called???? i forgot,its a classic movie just cant remember the title of the film.
    10. Kewpie
      Kewpie
      Kes directed by Ken Loach.
      Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    11. grant gauld
      grant gauld
      thank you kewpie : )))
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Damn good question that nobody seems to answer...
    13. MORRIZSEY
      MORRIZSEY
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Not overly enamoured with William myself but that song is a fucking classic.

However Josef F is bang on the money with his comment.
    15. divine
      divine
      Brilliant film from my home town Sheffield, oh how I wish I had been there!
    16. sloughbomb
      sloughbomb
    17. Velvis
      Velvis
    18. Amy
      Amy
      Which part of that isn't true?
    19. Velvis
      Velvis
      I thought it was agreed that they are different and that 'good' when it comes to art is a subjective word...?
    20. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      Yes, Morrissey has built his whole persona, career and artistic oeuvre on the idea that there is no hierarchy of taste and aesthetics and that all cultural choices are entirely equal......wait!......

*sncrly f smwht snrkly B.B*