MOJO Collector's Series 'The Smiths' new magazine out now

Spotted a stack of these in my local Tesco today. https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/stories/mojos-new-smiths-special-is-out-now/

full

Description / online purchase:

MOJO The Collectors’ Series: The Smiths – Hand In Glove 1982-1987
MOJO’s finest writing on The Smiths in a single deluxe volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suede started Britpop and quickly and quite rightly disassociated themselves from it from the early days. I do think three other good groups sprang from Britpop: Elastica, Echobelly and Pulp (to a certain extent). Of course Elastica lasted a wet week. Echobelly are excellent, even still to this day.

Since Britpop not many great groups have emerged from Britain and I'm embarrased to say I can't think of any. Perhaps Richard Hawley.

Yeah I was just talking about the more popular ones, but yes, Echobelly the first album and singles for me, great voice and presence from Sonya. A little more obscure was Pram, thought interesting at least.

Suede started Britpop and quickly and quite rightly disassociated themselves from it from the early days. I do think three other good groups sprang from Britpop: Elastica, Echobelly and Pulp (to a certain extent). Of course Elastica lasted a wet week. Echobelly are excellent, even still to this day.

Since Britpop not many great groups have emerged from Britain and I'm embarrased to say I can't think of any. Perhaps Richard Hawley.
How about the Libertine, they are post Britpop?
And I Like Richard Hawley, he really has that cool British gentleman image.
But I agree with you, 21st century hasn’t spawned many exciting new British bands, what a shame for a country with such a rich tradition.

To me they are better than the Beatles..thats to me.

Im not sure what metric you are using to say they are the second best band to the Beatles

It seems almost purely subjective.

That's the trouble with most "best band "
"Best song " type lists.
it's fantasy land.

Especially funny when you see how ugly and unstlyish and unoriginal lots of the music writers are who make up these lists

It's actually quite scary when you see how many people fall for it.

It's nearly always men who say this league table stuff probably stems from a kind of male autism
Men seem to have this insecurity that they fend off with lists.

To me M is better than Bowie and Lennon and Dylan

But there is no way in hell morrissey even comes in the top five with the worlds important male pop stars list.

The smiths as far as the world is concerned probably don't get in the top 5 either.

In fact even in the uk they prob don't.

Beatels
R Stones
The who
The Kinks
The Jam
Joy Division
The Fall
sex pistols
Specials
Stone Roses
led Zeplin
The Police
D mode
The Cure
Oasis
Suede
Pulp
even Blur could, arguably all rate higher than smiths ,

Again im not talking about me, im talking objectively
Not seeing The Clash! They would be #3.

To me they are better than the Beatles..thats to me.

Im not sure what metric you are using to say they are the second best band to the Beatles

It seems almost purely subjective.

That's the trouble with most "best band "
"Best song " type lists.
it's fantasy land.

Especially funny when you see how ugly and unstlyish and unoriginal lots of the music writers are who make up these lists

It's actually quite scary when you see how many people fall for it.

It's nearly always men who say this league table stuff probably stems from a kind of male autism
Men seem to have this insecurity that they fend off with lists.

To me M is better than Bowie and Lennon and Dylan

But there is no way in hell morrissey even comes in the top five with the worlds important male pop stars list.

The smiths as far as the world is concerned probably don't get in the top 5 either.

In fact even in the uk they prob don't.

Beatels
R Stones
The who
The Kinks
The Jam
Joy Division
The Fall
sex pistols
Specials
Stone Roses
led Zeplin
The Police
D mode
The Cure
Oasis
Suede
Pulp
even Blur could, arguably all rate higher than smiths ,

Again im not talking about me, im talking objectively
They're ten times better than any band on this list. Put the bottle down.

They just don’t do it for me, not hitting on anything new. Unlike MBV which shouldn’t even be in the shoe gaze category, they really go beyond that, everyone else just imitators.
I wouldn’t say Slowdive imitated MBV. Their styles and sounds were vastly different. Slowdive were always more dream pop than shoegaze.

I wouldn’t say Slowdive imitated MBV. Their styles and sounds were vastly different. Slowdive were always more dream pop than shoegaze.

I agree, they just usually get lumped into the same category, I don’t know why, lazy music journalism. Yeah dream pop, though what would you call Cocteau Twins then?

I agree, they just usually get lumped into the same category, I don’t know why, lazy music journalism. Yeah dream pop, though what would you call Cocteau Twins then?
They’re usually also categorized as dream pop, but they’re way more ethereal (at last
from 1984 and a few years on). However, their first album is more goth and the second one I can imagine influenced BOTH MBV and Slowdive. Those first couple of albums are their masterpieces, in my opinion.

Dirk, No Slade or Motorhead but the Specials and the Fall, the Stone Roses?
are you freaking kidding me? The Smiths would get a top 5 actually.. but besides that..
The Police? Are you kidding? The Smiths would rank top 3 even...

a band i do not like myself but you forgot to listen because muh.. general public.. muh Queen maybe? The Stone Roses, my ass... bro.. you are tripping. The Smiths is top 3 on any list.
You are delusional if you think you are the only one who caught up with the Smiths by now mate.

Biggest influence .... i would rank them like this

The Beatles
David Bowie
The Sex Pistols
The Jam
The Smiths
The Who
The Clash

The Beatles
David Bowie
The Sex Pistols
The Jam
The Smiths
The Who
The Clash
You have to mention The Cure. Their influence is obvious in indie pop, darkwave, post punk, goth, cold wave and even certain styles of metal.

The Beatles
David Bowie
The Sex Pistols
The Jam
The Smiths
The Who
The Clash

The Jam above The Smiths, The Who & even The Clash? :unsure:

The Who and The Clash reached more people and in turn influenced other artists in America.

I think Morrissey’s talents and Marr’s style may have had a wider influence even indirectly on music that came right after and up to this day.

You have to mention The Cure. Their influence is obvious in indie pop, darkwave, post punk, goth, cold wave and even certain styles of metal.

Honestly, The Cure should be on there before even considering putting The Jam on the list, in regards to influence or a greater impact.

Honestly, The Cure should be on there before even considering putting The Jam on the list, in regards to influence or a greater impact.
Definitely. It’s ridiculous how influential they continue to be. I’m not a fan, but I guess you have to mention Depeche Mode as well.

Definitely. It’s ridiculous how influential they continue to be. I’m not a fan, but I guess you have to mention Depeche Mode as well.

Yes, maybe, but then we would have to say Joy Division too(?) And Björk.

I’m thinking more along the lines of styles of music that are more easily identifiable in those that have been influenced. Like you may be able to hear/see the influence of a Cure or especially a Morrissey/Smiths vibe in another artist before you can spot a Depeche Mode influence.

Yes, maybe, but then we would have to say Joy Division too(?) And Björk.

I’m thinking more along the lines of styles of music that are more easily identifiable in those that have been influenced. Like you may be able to hear/see the influence of a Cure or especially a Morrissey/Smiths vibe in another artist before you can spot a Depeche Mode influence.
Definitely Joy Division! Not sure about Bjorks influence. Maybe you’re right.

I’m not sure, there are many synth bands that seem to have listened quite a bit to DM.

Definitely Joy Division! Not sure about Bjorks influence. Maybe you’re right.
I could see Björk popping up as an influence on women song writers, her powerful voice and quirkiness as an inspiration.

I’m not sure, there are many synth bands that seem to have listened quite a bit to DM.

Yes could be. I don’t really listen to synth bands that may have been influenced by DM. In the same way I wouldn’t listen to say Green Day that are obviously influenced by Buzzcocks, Clash, etc and not doing a very good job of it. Lol.

I could see Björk popping up as an influence on women song writers, her powerful voice and quirkiness as an inspiration.

Yes could be. I don’t really listen to synth bands that may have been influenced by DM. In the same way I wouldn’t listen to say Green Day that are obviously influenced by Buzzcocks, Clash, etc and not doing a very good job of it. Lol.
Any DM fan would want your head on a stick now! 😁

Any DM fan would want your head on a stick now! 😁

Why? Did I diss DM? I agree with you, because in part of their popularity, surely they had an influence on synth bands that came after. But I’d rather listen to DM than those bands, is what I’m saying.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom