MOJO Collector's Series 'The Smiths' new magazine out now

Spotted a stack of these in my local Tesco today. https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/stories/mojos-new-smiths-special-is-out-now/

full

Description / online purchase:

MOJO The Collectors’ Series: The Smiths – Hand In Glove 1982-1987
MOJO’s finest writing on The Smiths in a single deluxe volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have been handsome devils but 'bookazine' is surely the ugliest word in the English language! :sick:

I wonder if it’ll be worth buying or if it’s just filled with rehashed stuff we’ve read to death already.

I wonder if it’ll be worth buying or if it’s just filled with rehashed stuff we’ve read to death already.
There's nothing new Gregor, we've heard it all before, but it will be nice for the newbys.

There's nothing new Gregor, we've heard it all before, but it will be nice for the newbys.
Oh yes! I remember buying a similar mag back when I was a newbie. Read it more times than I can say.

I flicked through a copy, and it mostly seemed to be a compilation of other old articles and interviews previously published in Mojo. That said, it looked nicely designed and presented, and it might be handy to have it all in one place. I'm dithering on buying it though, 'cos £8.99 is a lot for a magazine - even if it is pretty chunky!

I flicked through a copy, and it mostly seemed to be a compilation of other old articles and interviews previously published in Mojo. That said, it looked nicely designed and presented, and it might be handy to have it all in one place. I'm dithering on buying it though, 'cos £8.99 is a lot for a magazine - even if it is pretty chunky!
You make a pretty good case. 🤔

There was a time I'd have bought this automatically, but recent years have slightly tarnished The Smiths' image for me. Morrissey's enduring hatred of Joyce, now publicly feuding with Johnny and demanding he doesn't mention his name in interviews, and running down the band's achievements by ranking most of his solo work above them ('World Peace' better than anything The Smiths ever did? Yeah, right). It's all just left a slightly sour taste in the mouth. I find it hard to look at that cover photo of the band smiling away without thinking of the totally ruined mess it all turned into.

Um, haven't there been like 37 of these? I brought one on vacation 20 years ago and read it the entire time.

There was a time I'd have bought this automatically, but recent years have slightly tarnished The Smiths' image for me. Morrissey's enduring hatred of Joyce, now publicly feuding with Johnny and demanding he doesn't mention his name in interviews, and running down the band's achievements by ranking most of his solo work above them ('World Peace' better than anything The Smiths ever did? Yeah, right). It's all just left a slightly sour taste in the mouth. I find it hard to look at that cover photo of the band smiling away without thinking of the totally ruined mess it all turned into.
Many, perhaps most, relationships run their course and tend towards bitterness and recrimination. Only a few last. People change. Adding money and fame into the equation is never going to help. That photo captures all the youth and energy of four men who felt they were invincible and had the world at their feet. Nothing lasts for ever. It's a great photograph. They were a great band.

But the music, the music holds up. Still one of the best bands of all time, just behind the Beatles.

The cover photograph is totally new to me! They were fresh and young and so many songs were yet to come! That bitter ending was very unfair. The lads did so much for pop music. The four of them didn't deserve what happened. Anyway, all the bitterness disappears whenever you listen to the music they created. I once read an interview with Stephen Street where he pointed out how funny things were going at the Wool Hall during the sessions for Strangeways. Rather sad what came after. Stephen also mentioned that Johnny Marr was doing lots of taping at the Wool Hall, he sort of bought a brand new camrecorder back then and must have great footage somewhere in his basement, if luck helped. Greetings to all.

Spotted a stack of these in my local Tesco today. https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/stories/mojos-new-smiths-special-is-out-now/

full

Description / online purchase:

MOJO The Collectors’ Series: The Smiths – Hand In Glove 1982-1987
MOJO’s finest writing on The Smiths in a single deluxe volume.
I wonder, how many "Smiths Specials" type 'zines Mojo has done now, 4 or 5?
Oh, I miss the days when this kind of mag would come out and I would be floating with excitement.
There is nothing for fans like me in these magazines, in terms of new information
, however, its nice to know these things still come out

But the music, the music holds up. Still one of the best bands of all time, just behind the Beatles.
To me they are better than the Beatles..thats to me.

Im not sure what metric you are using to say they are the second best band to the Beatles

It seems almost purely subjective.

That's the trouble with most "best band "
"Best song " type lists.
it's fantasy land.

Especially funny when you see how ugly and unstlyish and unoriginal lots of the music writers are who make up these lists

It's actually quite scary when you see how many people fall for it.

It's nearly always men who say this league table stuff probably stems from a kind of male autism
Men seem to have this insecurity that they fend off with lists.

To me M is better than Bowie and Lennon and Dylan

But there is no way in hell morrissey even comes in the top five with the worlds important male pop stars list.

The smiths as far as the world is concerned probably don't get in the top 5 either.

In fact even in the uk they prob don't.

Beatels
R Stones
The who
The Kinks
The Jam
Joy Division
The Fall
sex pistols
Specials
Stone Roses
led Zeplin
The Police
D mode
The Cure
Oasis
Suede
Pulp
even Blur could, arguably all rate higher than smiths ,

Again im not talking about me, im talking objectively

Im not sure what metric you are using to say they are the second best band to the Beatles

"Best song " type lists.
it's fantasy land.

Especially funny when you see how ugly and unstlyish and unoriginal lots of the music writers are who make up these lists

It's nearly always men who say this league table stuff probably stems from a kind of male autism

But there is no way in hell morrissey even comes in the top five with the worlds important male pop stars list.

The smiths as far as the world is concerned probably don't get in the top 5 either.

Beatels
R Stones
The who
The Kinks
The Jam
Joy Division
The Fall
sex pistols
Specials
Stone Roses
led Zeplin
The Police
D mode
The Cure
Oasis
Suede
Pulp
Is this a list concerning popularity or sales, no because it includes the Fall;

because musically, Siouxsie and the Banshees are a far better and more influential band than
the Jam, Specials, the Fall, Stone roses, Suede, Oasis (please, I won't even go there), Blur
and they impacted in depth Joy Division, without mentioning their legacy that speaks volume.
very droll to not include them. but they are not for all the ears, and common people.
I don't know anyone into Oasis who also likes the Banshees, and vice versa, because that ain't possible. two different worlds and culture.

The Smiths are in the top 5 not only thanks to their impeccable run of singles but also due to the richness of material on the b-sides.

Not including Radiohead is not wise, a big mistake of taste for me

"Best song " type lists.
it's fantasy land.

Beatels
R Stones
The who
The Kinks
The Jam
Joy Division
The Fall
sex pistols
Specials
Stone Roses
led Zeplin
The Police
D mode
The Cure
Oasis
Suede
Pulp

Again im not talking about me, im talking objectively
and Roxy Music, T Rex, Wire should be in any best British bands list as well

I love the cover! I clicked on a totally sus link from Facebook and ordered a copy. Hopefully, it arrives someday. The yellow cover of the recent Record Collector issue was absolutely hideous.

Back
Top Bottom