Mojo / Andrew Male: review of IANADOAC (4/5*s)

If the art is good, don't wait for the artist to die before praising it. Not that that critic is doing that. He did give it four stars.

Found a clipping on Twitter. not much of a review but it is positive.

Wow - intriguing.
None of the big 3 British music mags (Mojo, Q or Uncut) gave High School more than 3 stars.
I've said before, if the lyrics are non-cringey, this could be a really good album due to the strength and breadth of the songwriting team and the imaginative arrangements of Joe Picallili.

"A fittingly distressed late work" - this is good writing (as usual from Andrew Male) and is making me look forward to this record even more, now. Although just the idea that we've now moved firmly into Morrissey's "late period" is making me sad. The passing of time, and all that...

"A fittingly distressed late work" - this is good writing (as usual from Andrew Male) and is making me look forward to this record even more, now. Although just the idea that we've now moved firmly into Morrissey's "late period" is making me sad. The passing of time, and all that...
Yeah I fear this will be his last. With his recent comments/controversy, I can’t see another record company touching him. Even if this album is a huge success.

Yeah I fear this will be his last. With his recent comments/controversy, I can’t see another record company touching him. Even if this album is a huge success.

If the album is a success (commercially) then it won't be problem for future record companies. But it seems that the previously Morrissey-friendly radio stations are refusing to play any of the new songs (to date at least) which will reduce its commercial success considerably. Furthermore, about 50-60% of the UK fan-base (for concerts at least) seems to have deserted him, incensed by his decision to publicly and unambiguously endorse a far-right political party, and cheer on the likes of Farage and Robinson.
He needs to issue a statement and retract that support, pretty urgently. He is not a genuinely right-wing person - he was simply drawn in to supporting these clowns (For Britain) because the singer is a gay vegan feminist.

Nah, it will certainly not be his last. But after three records within 3 years a new album will be a longer wait this time.
2023 or 2024 maybe.
There will always be interest in releasing a new Moz-album, he is a legend.

Morrissey doesn't need a record company to make and sell records. He has his own website, online store, Étienne, and a shitload of money. So getting records made and keeping fans informed would be no problem. In fact, he should go totally independent.

Nah, it will certainly not be his last. But after three records within 3 years a new album will be a longer wait this time.
2023 or 2024 maybe.
There will always be interest in releasing a new Moz-album, he is a legend.

At any previous point of the past 20 years you would have been right. Yes, he would be back in a few years and would get a half-dent deal easily enough.
But I'm afraid everything has changed. He's lost most (over 50%) of his fan-base, radio stations are refusing to play his new songs, record shops and websites are refusing to stock his new album, long running Morrissey/Smiths nights have shut down, advertising space owners refuse to carry his ads. Signing Morrissey to your record label was always a risk - now it has become out of the question.
If you honestly feel that it's business as usual in the Morrissey world, you are utterly delusional. Without that apology and retraction of support for extremist right-wing people and parties, it really is all over as far as the future recording of new material is concerned.

At any previous point of the past 20 years you would have been right. Yes, he would be back in a few years and would get a half-dent deal easily enough.
But I'm afraid everything has changed. He's lost most (over 50%) of his fan-base, radio stations are refusing to play his new songs, record shops and websites are refusing to stock his new album, long running Morrissey/Smiths nights have shut down, advertising space owners refuse to carry his ads. Signing Morrissey to your record label was always a risk - now it has become out of the question.
If you honestly feel that it's business as usual in the Morrissey world, you are utterly delusional. Without that apology and retraction of support for extremist right-wing people and parties, it really is all over as far as the future recording of new material is concerned.
Please don't believe that half-baked left-wing mass media propaganda or whatever you have been reading.
And your figures are all wrong, too.
A US tour of 100,000 people, a Broadway and possible Las Vegas-residency, headlining a huge and widely promoted 80s festival, and nearly 2 million monthly listeners on Spotify (and the Smiths at over 5 million), more listeners than ever before.

Morrissey doesn't need a record company to make and sell records. He has his own website, online store, Étienne, and a shitload of money. So getting records made and keeping fans informed would be no problem. In fact, he should go totally independent.

Agree, but I'm pretty sure that his ego would not allow this.

(Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just how he's wired. In his eyes, he's a Major Artist - I agree, but most people don't - and a Major Artist would not go down the DIY / crowdfunded route, etc...)

He can and he should. But he probably won't as he prefers the old-fashioned route. He is a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to these matters.

I agree. And it’s not only a matter of a record company wanting Moz, it’s does Moz want that record company. He’s still very stubborn and vain and even in this predicament he’s got himself in. I still can’t see him compromising.

How many times have you repeated this same bullshit over several threads for approx 2 years? Is someone paying you to repeat yourself constantly like a demented parrot?

Nonsense! ^

His followers on Spotify have been increasing every week. See the Spotify thread.

His albums always chart in the Top 10 in the UK: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrissey_discography

Nobody listens to the radio any more.

Record shops are desperate for publicity. Those publicity stunts have had zero impact on the sale of Morrissey's albums. California Son charted at number 4. See that Wikipedia link above.

Advertisements have been up advertising his upcoming concerts. They're on here somewhere.

If morrisseys career is over and he’s headlining the cruel world festival does this mean everyone playing below him on the Bill are in an even worse state than he

If morrisseys career is over and he’s headlining the cruel world festival does this mean everyone playing below him on the Bill are in an even worse state than he

Emboldened, as the clowns are bound to miss it.

Also, just to hammer your point home:

cruel-world-poster-twitter-1581453339-640x800.jpeg

Nope, it's just his recording career that's in jeopardy, and his biggest problems are in the UK. He can keep going for years playing live on the nostalgia circuit albeit to smaller crowds than he's been used to. Credit where due, it's impressive that he's been asked to headline the Cruel World festival - there's no way a similar sized festival in the UK would have him top of the bill.

Nope, it's just his recording career that's in jeopardy, and his biggest problems are in the UK. He can keep going for years playing live on the nostalgia circuit albeit to smaller crowds than he's been used to. Credit where due, it's impressive that he's been asked to headline the Cruel World festival - there's no way a similar sized festival in the UK would have him top of the bill.

Lol.

Again, California Son charted at number 4 in the UK. None of the tracks on that album were written by Morrissey and it still charted at number 4. Click that bloody Wikipedia link and see for yourself that California Son charted at number 4.

Did I mention enough times that California Son charted at number 4?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom