Modest Mouse debuted at #1!

Mars_Rover

Modest Mouse debuts at #1!

Yaaayyy Johnny!

from HITS:

Modest Mouse, Joss Stone, Elliott Yamin, Marques Houston Bow in Top 10

March 27, 2007

There are no traps on this week’s chart for Modest Mouse.

The Portland, OR indie darlings’ new Epic album, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, docked at #1 this week, with an above water total of 133k. The group follows up nicely from its 2004 breakthrough, Good News for People Who Love Bad News, which sold a total of 1.5 million.

Re: Modest Mouse debuts at #1!

It's amazing that 133K is enough to get you to #1 these days. I'm glad a talented band is finally at the top of the charts. When was the last time that happened?

I can't wait to see them next month in Rochester, NY. It will be my first opportunity to see Johnny Marr perform live.

Oh, you're lucky - they're not coming anywhere near where I live. I'd love to see Johnny play live again.

Idolator.com has a nice write-up on MM's triumph, and also an mp3 of an interesting B-side "King Rat":

Now that the final Soundscan numbers are trickling in, it looks as though today will soon be officially declared Modest Mouse Day--not only here at the Idolator flophouse, but around the world (Bush will speak on the matter at noon, and aides say the President will confess that he finds Johnny Marr's "way too subtle to pinpoint"). In further celebration of all things Brock, i guess i'm floating has an MP3 of "King Rat," the new vinyl-only B-side from the We Were Dead... sessions

Modest Mouse - King Rat (vinyl rip) [MP3] http://www.idolator.com/assets/resources/mp3/mmrat.mp3

Last edited:

I loved it. But, topic I guess: is an indie band allowed to be described by a noun other than "darlings?"

No, that will bring about the apocalypse. But I once heard Jarvis Cocker describe himself as "the indie Mother Theresa".

No, that will bring about the apocalypse. But I once heard Jarvis Cocker describe himself as "the indie Mother Theresa".

And I once read an interview where Morrissey said "the indie Mother Theresa" couldn't sing.

I thought they liked each other! No? Jarvis 'n Moz are not friends?

I'm sure Jarvis likes Morrissey. I know he liked the Smiths. But Morrissey has said a few nasty things about Pulp, and Steve Mackey of Pulp once said "he doesn't see why people like the Smiths". But then Again, Mark Webber of Pulp said Steve Mackey has horrible taste in music.

I had gotten the impression that Morrissey at least respected Jarvis. A woman from a British newspaper who interviewed Morrissey circa 2002 related how he patiently explained to her why Jarvis Cocker was *not* "a patch" on him. We don't use that expression in the States, but I translated that to mean Mozza was acknowledging that while Jarvis' act/persona might have been influenced by himself/The Smiths, it was not a rip-off.

cossy posted few months ago that his girlfriend works as a cabin attendant of an airline served Morrissey and Jarvis on the same flight.
According to her they're friendly to each other. ;)

cossy posted few months ago that his girlfriend works as a cabin attendant of an airline served Morrissey and Jarvis on the same flight.
According to her they're friendly to each other. ;)

Good memory Kewpie...Tis true

cossy:)

I had gotten the impression that Morrissey at least respected Jarvis. A woman from a British newspaper who interviewed Morrissey circa 2002 related how he patiently explained to her why Jarvis Cocker was *not* "a patch" on him. We don't use that expression in the States, but I translated that to mean Mozza was acknowledging that while Jarvis' act/persona might have been influenced by himself/The Smiths, it was not a rip-off.

When something is "not a patch" on something else it means they are not anywhere near as good. Hope that clears it up. :)

Oooh he was dissing poor Jarvis then? That'll teach me not to go assuming things... (at least for awhile)

When something is "not a patch" on something else it means they are not anywhere near as good. Hope that clears it up. :)

Wow, Morrissey is arrogant? Its so hard to believe!

Johnny Marr has US #1 Album!

Congratulations to Johnny Marr! I believe this is the first #1 US record from anyone related to The Smiths.

It's hard to believe that Morrissey with all his fans and media exposure has never had a US #1 record. And that Johnny Marr, 20 years after The Smiths, would get one!

Well good news for Smiths fans that love Morrissey and Marr. It's good to see Johnny getting some love from the US public. He definitely deserves it. Hope Morrissey can achieve the same the next time he puts out a record.

Re: Johnny Marr has US #1 Album!

Yes, everyone's buying it because it's a Johnny Marr album :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the fact that Modest Mouse are already a very popular band.

Re: Johnny Marr has US #1 Album!

Good luck to him,he deserves some real success.....not like some who bang a drum for a few years then expect to live off the royalties for ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom