Mmm... job opportunity?

Bassist-In-A-Tutu

I'm interviewing tomorrow! Hurahh!

But...

The company does marjeting and advertising :( They are big......

Clients include (From their web site)

Help the Aged
The Post Office
Nokia
Swatch
Coca Cola GB
Ecco Shoes

And many more.

Including (From my own research)

GlaxoSmithKlyne
Proctor and Gamble
British American Tobacco

I'm not sure advertising and marketing is an area I'd like to work in, but hey, it just running their computers. A computer is a computer, doesn't make much difference to me who is useing it!

What do you all think about this type of company?

right now im thinking what is the hangup?

These are the chaps that bombard us with all those marketing campeigns. Leaflets through the door. Annoying gingles and Brainless "Catchy Slogans" and catch lines, brand identities and constantly repeated endlessly brain numbing andverts which make washing your hair totally orgasmic:(:mad:

Don't you get annoyed by this sort of thing.

Then, there is the Tobacco and Chemical/Pharmecuticle company clients, and I would never work for someone like that directly......

These are the chaps that bombard us with all those marketing campeigns. Leaflets through the door. Annoying gingles and Brainless "Catchy Slogans" and catch lines, brand identities and constantly repeated endlessly brain numbing andverts which make washing your hair totally orgasmic:(:mad:

Then, there is the Tobacco and Chemical/Pharmecuticle company clients, and I would never work for someone like that directly......

oh ok. im from the US. I barely notice it anymore. In fact, when I moved to maryland, where billboards around the streets and interstates arent allowed, i felt like something was missing and didnt put my finger on it until about a month later because I'd grown up in FL where there are signs just EVERYWHERE.
I keep myself relatively ad free, considering its the US. I listen to my own music and watch DVDs more often than actual TV because I don't ahve the patience to sit through all those ads.
Its just part of life and the way things go in capitalistic countries and I'll take that over rice and bread rations any day ;)

chems/pharms have terrible points but they do save lives. Some are trying to reduce their waste and become less of a 'bad guy', and it is true that people who cannot buy meds can sometimes go through the company for help, but it takes research. I'm not trying to back up the drug companies but I see the good those drugs do every day, when I see children with cancer get cured and go home to annoy their family for many years to come :)

A computer is a computer, doesn't make much difference to me who is useing it!
?

even if it's chris langham or gary glitter?

wow your compromising your integrity....will you go to Australia now?

Well, it's between you and conscience! Can you afford to have morals at the moment? That's the way i look at these things, harsh but true. As long as it won't eat away at you, do it until you can find something else. But it's your choice...

I got laid off in January so now I do construction. It's hard work but the time goes by quick and there isn't much politics. Working with computers sounds like a good gig.

even if it's chris langham or gary glitter?

wow your compromising your integrity....will you go to Australia now?

I don't know who chris langham is, but I know that gary glitter isn't a company, so I'm not likely to work there!

I was actually talking from a technology point of view about "It doesn't matter who's using it" - as far as keeping the computers running the industry is imiterial. Of course it matters who is using it.

I don't understand the Australia reference? :confused:

Well, it's between you and conscience! Can you afford to have morals at the moment? That's the way i look at these things, harsh but true. As long as it won't eat away at you, do it until you can find something else. But it's your choice...

Thanks for that :) You sound a bit like my conscience, (and my mum) I can't afford to turn down any job realy. And I don't like to gamble. But I have another interview on Tuesday for a company I would love to work for. But I can't turn down one in case I don't get the other - I'd end up with nothing! :(

I won't be comfortable knowing that BAT, GlaxoSmithCline et al are clients, but it doesn't have to be forever, does it.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Danger Man - I was made redunant last year, have been out of work since the end of April! :(

Back
Top Bottom