Misheard lyrics...

the youngest was the post-one,the youngest was the cheryl lol

Some girls are bigger than others

According to me Morrissey was singing "Send me your pillow - the one that you dream on. And I say: Dream on!" (answer: "I sent you my f*** pillow and you tell me to dream on? I haven't slept in a month! I want that thing back!")... then someone told me the "truth". But even today I have to concentrate to get the lyrics "right" because, damn, he really sings "And I say: Dream on!". Maybe the rest of the world is mishearing that line ;)

Well not Morrissey... but 'Pictures of Lilly' by the who I always heard 'bitches are leaving' also, Prince's 'Little Red Corvette' for me was 'baby comeback'.

sorry if this was already mentioned
but the first few times I heard Roy's Keen, I heard
"Fart in a bucket, We trust you to wreck it"
actual lyrics
"Foot in a bucket, We trust you to wreck it"

This thread made me almost choke with laughter. :)

There was a discussion a Moz Yahoo group about the last verse of I Won't Share You (not printed in the lyric sheet) and the meaning of the line "I want the freedom and I want the guile". I think it's obvious that it's "the guile", you can hear him clearly and it makes most sense, but it turned out some people heard it as "beguile" and some as "the guide". And then there was someone who said they always heard it as "I want freedom and I want the guy" :D

But this one has to be the best - from someone on IMDB messageboard:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0973541/board/nest/52804438

Help! What does Morrissey say after he sings that bit about the rain flattening his hair & these are the things that kill me & before he sings that past the pub bit. Is he REALLY saying this 'All their lies about make-up and long hair, are still there'????? It doesn't sound like that...I always thought it was something like this : 'All my life I've waited to see her slit'. Or am I really going insane???? What do you think?

:D :D :D

When "Southpaw" first came out some Morrissey folks online claimed the lyrics read "books aren't standing-eyes," which I knew was wrong because it made no sense but it drove me bonkers that I couldn't figure out what he was singing. It wasn't until I finally got the lyric sheet w/ "My Early Burglary Years" that I found out it's "Stanley knives," which made the song PERFECT. :)

The first time I played "The Father Who Must Be Killed" (in the car before getting home to read the lyrics) I thought he sang "socialize" instead of "so shall I."

So did I, about "socialize". When it comes to Reader Meet Author, the first guess I made was "books aren't standardized." Sure, it isn't a good line, but it makes sense, in terms of being an understandable sentence. What in the world is "Stanley knives" supposed to mean?

When it comes to Reader Meet Author, the first guess I made was "books aren't standardized." Sure, it isn't a good line, but it makes sense, in terms of being an understandable sentence. What in the world is "Stanley knives" supposed to mean?

a "stanley knife" is a workman's tool ["stanley" being the brand (american, i think)]. they are the last word in cutting and a bit of an institution, in the u.k., in their own right.

they have also been known to be used by bad boys who want to injure others.

see, here: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=KNIVES

although not morrissey-related...

the father of one of my brother's work-mates mistook the title of the verve's "the drugs don't work" for "the trucks don't work"!

Last edited:
For ages I thought the line in First of the Gang was "the first last lad under the sun" as opposed to sod.

And of course we all know that in Sweet and Tender Hooligan Moz sings "Johnny will you f*** me?" :D

In "The Slum Mums" i thought for ages he sung "you even wee like one" instead of "you live and breathe like one".

:o

Re: Misheard Lyrics

How soon is now: "... of a shyness that is criminally vocal"
Ask: "if it's not love then it's the bong..."
Still Ill: "and although I ended up with solace"
Handsome Devil: "let me get my hands on you memory glands" :o
First of the gang: "the first lost lad to go under the sword"*

and i always get the "glass" and "grass" bit mixed up when singing along to WDYFOFY

*i swear it's sword, what does it mean to go "under the sod" ?

Last edited:
In "The Slum Mums" i thought for ages he sung "you even wee like one" instead of "you live and breathe like one".

:o

LOL! I thought that was "you even breed like one". I like the "wee" theory better though, even if I'm now picturing Morrissey spying on women in a public loo....

Brain bleach, anyone? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The first time i heard This Charming Man, i thought the line was "He knows so much about bee stings." And i thought, WTF? What do bee stings have to do with anything?

Re: Misheard Lyrics

First of the gang: "the first lost lad to go under the sword"*

and i always get the "glass" and "grass" bit mixed up when singing along to WDYFOFY

*i swear it's sword, what does it mean to go "under the sod" ?

To go "under the sod" would mean "to be buried" i think.

And I ALWAYS get "glass" and "grass" wrong. That really gets on my nerves! :D

Panic

Instead of "Dublin, Dundee, Humberside" I heard "Humdee, Dumdee, Homocide".

:)

A friend of mine thought the "alabaster crashes down" line from shoplifters was "Alan Baster crashes down............."

Not sure who Mr Baster is?! How I laughed...

Isn't it "and a bastard crashes down"? or am i just mishearing that too?

I used to hear "Farewell to England's cheerless marshes" as "Farewell this land's cheerless and heartless", "Punctured bicycle" as "Old chewed bicycle" (don't know what was supposed to have chewed it) and "Young bones groan" as "Young beau's go".

After reading the hilarious 'peas', 'bees', 'theives', 'fleas' etc argument i would have to agree that it's 'peas' ... it wouldn't be funny otherwise, and why would Moz choose anything else in the context of 'standing around the shops'?
And before anyone points out 'Shoplifters of the World', that song was supposed to be 'Shirtlifters of the World', which is what i thought it was before i owned a Smiths album.

Girlfriend from Tacoma
not really.

somehow I heard "farewell to tuneless marches" though

Back
Top Bottom