Milan - Teatro Linear (Oct. 16, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Bullfighter Dies / Kiss Me A Lot / You Have Killed Me / Certain People I Know / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Everyday Is Like Sunday / How Soon Is Now? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / Istanbul / Trouble Loves Me / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Kick the Bride Down The Aisle / I'm Not A Man / Meat Is Murder // One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by setlist.fm, link posted by docinwestchester.

Last edited:
I remember posting here when the US tour started that he didn't look right. He had on the blazer and seed stiff and uncomfortable. Perhaps he didn't feel well at the start, which sucks for us that attended those gigs.

Now is a different story, he looks happy and healthy. Maybe he will finish this tour!

As I have said before his voice is absolutely superb at the moment. For me it is simply that this vocal Renaissance has coincided with a significant dip in songwriting form.

Sadly, because I wanted it to be a classic, the World Peace album got the reception it deserved. Nearly every album does in the end. Time has a tendency to do that for most things, including us. "The lone and level sands stretch far away."

The voice was great, the production was great, the band sounded good, but the songs were MIA. I gave it a seven at the time, which erred on the side of generosity, and review aggregators seem to agree broadly with that assessment.

Seven out of ten isn't bad though. It certainly sounds a lot better than 3.5 out of 5.

Well yes, you certainly have said it before.....and thanks for telling us again. Some of us disagree with you because we are not right in the head. Some of us would give it a 10 out of 10 because it's that good...for us. However, thanks for the opinion...again.

We know you are right in the head.....I even like your Dinosaur helmet:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes, you certainly have said it before.....and thanks for telling us again. Some of us disagree with you because we are not right in the head. Some of us would give it a 10 out of 10 because it's that good...for us. However, thanks for the opinion...again.

We know you are right in the head.....I even like your Dinosaur helmet:)

In return I admire your continuing efforts to turn Morrissey-Solo into All You Need Is Morrissey.

As I have said before his voice is absolutely superb at the moment. For me it is simply that this vocal Renaissance has coincided with a significant dip in songwriting form.

Sadly, because I wanted it to be a classic, the World Peace album got the reception it deserved. Nearly every album does in the end. Time has a tendency to do that for most things, including us. "The lone and level sands stretch far away."

The voice was great, the production was great, the band sounded good, but the songs were MIA. I gave it a seven at the time, which erred on the side of generosity, and review aggregators seem to agree broadly with that assessment.

Seven out of ten isn't bad though. It certainly sounds a lot better than 3.5 out of 5.

Yes, at least you stick to your view and believe it, which is something. We do not agree about WPINOYB.
In that regard, 7 out of 10 is not bad !

A long time ago I heard Unknown Pleasures - and other Factory stuff - and I hated it all.
It was rank. I would not give that album 5 out of 10 even now. Yet all my friends were saying how great JD were
and She's Lost Control was ok, but the entire album was dissapointing. Yet some put that in the
top 50 albums of all time.

Hazard
England.

I went to see Morrissey for the first time and I admit I was very excited. We left our newborn son at my brother-in-law place and went straight to the concert-hall; I admit I was not very confident about the acoustic as the venue is not a proper theatre but a big tent (technological and all but always a tent) so I was fearing that acoustic could not give justice to the songs… but in the end it turned out to be much better than expected, sounds and solos were clear.
The gig started with a good half-hour of videos that helped the crowd getting acquainted to the world of Morrissey’s cultural points of reference. Short clips of The Ramones, Nico, Chris Stewart, New York Dolls, anti-Thatcher rallies, anti-racism, a short clip of The Bullfighter Dies too, lots of 60’s English tv show.
But when the curtain fell down displaying the stage the crowd went nuts, everybody left their numbered seats running to the front row as The Bullfighter Dies started filling the air. The core of set list is made of songs from WPINOYB and there are quite some important differences with the shows of a few days ago in Rome (in terms of the older songs). The new album is played extensively and the only Smiths songs were How Soon Is Now? and Meat Is Murder. I enjoyed a lot Istanbul (which is one of the finest moments of the Mozzer’s narrative inspiration), Trouble Loves Me was truly mesmerising, Kiss Me A Lot one of the best finds from the new album as it is really catching. The band did a great job, especially Gustavo Manzur (what a talent!) and Matt Walker on drums. You could see how Morrissey could devote himself to the crowd thanks to the confidence that the band gave him.
Moz was very happy about playing in Milan, he gave me the impression of being simply thrilled by playing in a glamorous city and said “Milan… majesty!”… Italy really sounds special to him.
Other highlights of the gig were the intensity with which I’m Not A Man was sung, Everyday Is Like Sunday (played as 6th song, not as encore like in Rome) and Meat Is Murder which assumed a prolonged and dramatic dress which was really impressive… I guess thanks to the appalling video of animal slaughters that were played at the back of the stage. The song ended with Morrissey and the whole band turning their backs to the crowd and bowing their heads to the massacred animals, like a funeral… assuming world guilt. Very touching.
The encore was One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, sung just for the first verse because Morrissey started collecting presents from the people in the first row: a book, written messages, flowers… he opened his arms like wanting to catch the crowd’s hug. There was no more need to sing or say anything… it was all plain clear.
A great night, a great gig, we left the hall smiling and happy. Hope to see the guy again soon and for sure our son is coming with us next time!

For full report of the gig (in Italian) see my report here: http://www.lecittadelledonne.it/ind...ort-milano-16-ottobre-2014-teatro-linear4ciak

So he accepts gifts from the crowd... Then, why they weren't allowed in Madrid? You were asked to throw a lot of stuff before coming into the building. It was annoying. Is it a rule for everywhere else and people just sneak them in or is it that Spanish people are a dangerous threat?

So he accepts gifts from the crowd... Then, why they weren't allowed in Madrid? You were asked to throw a lot of stuff before coming into the building. It was annoying. Is it a rule for everywhere else and people just sneak them in or is it that Spanish people are a dangerous threat?

Probably depends on the venue. I don't think he has control over that.

I went to see Morrissey for the first time and I admit I was very excited. We left our newborn son at my brother-in-law place and went straight to the concert-hall; I admit I was not very confident about the acoustic as the venue is not a proper theatre but a big tent (technological and all but always a tent) so I was fearing that acoustic could not give justice to the songs… but in the end it turned out to be much better than expected, sounds and solos were clear.
The gig started with a good half-hour of videos that helped the crowd getting acquainted to the world of Morrissey’s cultural points of reference. Short clips of The Ramones, Nico, Chris Stewart, New York Dolls, anti-Thatcher rallies, anti-racism, a short clip of The Bullfighter Dies too, lots of 60’s English tv show.
But when the curtain fell down displaying the stage the crowd went nuts, everybody left their numbered seats running to the front row as The Bullfighter Dies started filling the air. The core of set list is made of songs from WPINOYB and there are quite some important differences with the shows of a few days ago in Rome (in terms of the older songs). The new album is played extensively and the only Smiths songs were How Soon Is Now? and Meat Is Murder. I enjoyed a lot Istanbul (which is one of the finest moments of the Mozzer’s narrative inspiration), Trouble Loves Me was truly mesmerising, Kiss Me A Lot one of the best finds from the new album as it is really catching. The band did a great job, especially Gustavo Manzur (what a talent!) and Matt Walker on drums. You could see how Morrissey could devote himself to the crowd thanks to the confidence that the band gave him.
Moz was very happy about playing in Milan, he gave me the impression of being simply thrilled by playing in a glamorous city and said “Milan… majesty!”… Italy really sounds special to him.
Other highlights of the gig were the intensity with which I’m Not A Man was sung, Everyday Is Like Sunday (played as 6th song, not as encore like in Rome) and Meat Is Murder which assumed a prolonged and dramatic dress which was really impressive… I guess thanks to the appalling video of animal slaughters that were played at the back of the stage. The song ended with Morrissey and the whole band turning their backs to the crowd and bowing their heads to the massacred animals, like a funeral… assuming world guilt. Very touching.
The encore was One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, sung just for the first verse because Morrissey started collecting presents from the people in the first row: a book, written messages, flowers… he opened his arms like wanting to catch the crowd’s hug. There was no more need to sing or say anything… it was all plain clear.
A great night, a great gig, we left the hall smiling and happy. Hope to see the guy again soon and for sure our son is coming with us next time!

For full report of the gig (in Italian) see my report here: http://www.lecittadelledonne.it/ind...ort-milano-16-ottobre-2014-teatro-linear4ciak

Nicolacometa,

Fantastic ! I've enjoyed reading this over here in the UK. Glad you have had a great night and thanks for posting.

Hazard
England.

I concur. No wonder this gig was a little dull then. As much as I enjoy the Bullfighter song it's a bit shit in the grand scheme of things

Well, you weren't there. So how can you say that the gig was dull ? Just think about it. Come on, get a grip Bluebird(s) and let the Italian's speak.
The only thing that dull is you for posting this crap.

Hazard
England.

Re: State of Grace

Sorry my English but I would like to leave my contribution on this page : Just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I never thought to hear our International Playboy sing like that again! Even in such an ugly location ("Even Pavarotti sang on this prestigious stage.." Moz joked) an in front of such a dull audience ("you know Putin is in town tonight?" he asked try to raise some anger..."ummmh, yes, really?" it's all what he got in return) the gig was immense and his voice clear and powerful. Let's say it aloud: "World Peace" is one of his best works ever and played live is even more extraordinary! and that great band! The drum at the end of HOW SOON IS NOW was worth the entire concert. And who can forget the guitar riffs on the NEAL CASSADY? I almost burst into tears on TROUBLE LOVES ME even if my favorite one was I'M NOT A MAN with her ​​gorgeous crescendo.There have been a lot of epic moments during the gig but I'm still a little dazed for such a night that it is hard to mentioned them all. When everything is ended and Klaus Nomi started to sing DIDO'S LAMENT (DEATH) I realized that I could not ask for more. Grazie MOZ! Bravo! Torna presto.

Yes, an amazing voice, but totally me, me, me. He didn't like the venue . . .

Can't he just go back to the baggy 501's and pleather Doc Martens? That was his best look and he would look 20 years younger.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you Mexicans are a dangerous threat with your shaved heads, over sized white T-shirts, and tatoos.

Speedway is such a good song - real end of the world stuff. And this performance of it is great. Despite the stupid political views, inane band t-shirts (poor lads!), horrible album covers, embarrassing concert repartee, Morrissey is truly a gift. I am fortunate to know his work. And yes, the white low cut v-neck shirt makes it seem like Speedway was written after a weekend at Talladega, but those sweatpants are fantastic! And the classic look he sported in Bologna is, well, classic. Morrissey is wonderful, and long may he sing.

P.S. I had a Morrissey sighting at Heathrow almost fifteen years ago. He was the last person to board a flight to LA, and we briefly made eye contact. I'm pretty sure I was the only one to recognize him. In that moment I wished I could board the flight with him, that he would invite me to join him on his remarkable journey. I've since lost some of that loving feelin', but not entirely. He's irrevocably shaped my life for the better, and I am truly grateful.

P.P.S. I thought Staircase was sublime at first. But it's a b-side at best. It doesn't surprise me that he won't play it. Istanbul, on the other hand, is a classic, though at first I thought it shit. Go figure.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom