Mike Scott (The Waterboys) on Morrissey's merchandise

The light has gone out – it's time we stopped giving Morrissey attention by Fiona Sturges - The Independent

"It has become a dispiriting ritual on social media that, every few months, Morrissey's name begins to trend, prompting swathes of music fans to sigh wearily and wonder what the silly idiot has said or done now. Former fan Fiona Sturges has had enough"
Mike Scott knows...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey didn’t write Bowie is a twat though did he

No he didn't.
He simply signed other artists work with his own signature for no other reason but earn 290 ish $$$$ in pure profit.
Shafting his fellow artists.
Shafting his fans.
And now he's paying the price big time.
He's a twat and he will never be able to brush this one under the carpet.
His signature is now worth absolutely 4ck all, zero, nowt.
Well done Mike Scott, let's hope there's a whole load more to come.

If only you hadn't posted that picture none of this would have happened.
It's all your fault Cassidy :clap:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Disappointed in Mike Scott jumping on the virtue-signalling bandwagon. So easy, so empty.

I'm really hoping Morrissey starts selling signed Billy Bragg LPs at $300 a pop at shows, just for the LOLs.

Disappointed in Mike Scott jumping on the virtue-signalling bandwagon. So easy, so empty.

Oh yes, the ultimate sin in the eyes of the alt-right - "virtue signalling." Like being visibly decent is somehow a bad thing!

Would someone like to explain how Meat Is Murder and promoting PETA on all his products (entirely valid and justified) is NOT "virtue signalling"??

Not that what Mike did is virtue signalling at all. He's expressing the free speech Morrissey demands for himself but not others.

As I already said, I'm a lifelong fan who finally lost patience after 30 years. You can still be a fan without having to support everything he says and does. If Iggy had signed Bowie records, I'd have said the same thing. But Iggy doesn't have to.

I like Mike Scott and ofcourse The Waterboys music, personal don't know much about him, but this is low, doing it on stage, and what he said, think Morrissey never ever said any bad about the Waterboys, Mike should've mentioned his disaprovement about selling others albums, signed by Morrissey, writing and saying what was on the albums is just jump on the Morrissey-is-a-rascist bandwagon, wonder whose next

Have great Sunday, ofcourse they can't stop me following and liking Morrissey, Amen.

I like Mike Scott and ofcourse The Waterboys music, personal don't know much about him, but this is low, doing it on stage, and what he said, think Morrissey never ever said any bad about the Waterboys, Mike should've mentioned his disaprovement about selling others albums, signed by Morrissey, writing and saying what was on the albums is just jump on the Morrissey-is-a-rascist bandwagon, wonder whose next

Have great Sunday, ofcourse they can't stop me following and liking Morrissey, Amen.

Why shouldn't he say what he likes on stage? Free speech, right?

Who the f*** does he think he is? he's got a nerve standing on stage with in a f***ing stupid looking cowboy hat slagging Moz, the f***ing prick, when you have a loyal fanbase and a back catalogue as do the Smiths/Moz then wear your stupid hat and slag off the world's most prolific songwriter other than that: f*** off!

Jason

Who the f*** does he think he is? he's got a nerve standing on stage with in a f***ing stupid looking cowboy hat slagging Moz, the f***ing prick, when you have a loyal fanbase and a back catalogue as do the Smiths/Moz then wear your stupid hat and slag off the world's most prolific songwriter other than that: f*** off!
How is it different to standing on stage wearing a 'f*** The Guardian' T-shirt?

Interestingly, Mike Scott put W.B Yeats poetry to music , album title "An Appointment with Mr Yeats" and performed sold out shows in The Abbey Theatre in Dublin, and in London.
Assuming it was done for profit, as well as an homage to someone whose work he admired......... certain similarities to autographing someones work you admire. It's all in the perspective and people see what they want to see. I think Iggy Pop and Patti Smith should sign some of Morrisseys albums and sell them at their shows and that would be a fitting end to the storm in the china teacup.
But there's artistic endeavour and creativity in that, which you can admire. It's an honest attempt to create something new, using another artist for inspiration - much like Morrissey did all those years ago when he stole lines from plays, films and poetry to create beautiful lyrics. I really don't think that compares with slapping your signature on someone else's album and charging people $300 for the privilege: it's just narcissistic money-grabbing.

Fact is Steven committed the crime and has been found guilty.
$290 for nothing but personal financial gain on the back of his fellow artists.
Simply put its called SHAFTING.
I have never ever heard of other artists trying to pull this stunt, it still beggars belief to be honest.

Devious, truculent, unreliable and now a twat.
Send him down.

Well, I love the Waterboys, they were great in the eighties and their last few albums have been really good after almost 20 years of mediocre records but I'm going to have to disagree with Mike Scott here, calling Morrissey a racist feels totally gratuitous on his side.

Well, I love the Waterboys, they were great in the eighties and their last few albums have been really good after almost 20 years of mediocre records but I'm going to have to disagree with Mike Scott here, calling Morrissey a racist feels totally gratuitous on his side.

Pretty crass imho by Scott.
Lengths some ppl will go to in order to get a mention 'somewhere'.
This happens tho when suddenly you're a 'nobody'. Oh well.

No he didn't.
He simply signed other artists work with his own signature for no other reason but earn 290 ish $$$$ in pure profit.
Shafting his fellow artists.
Shafting his fans.
And now he's paying the price big time.
He's a twat and he will never be able to brush this one under the carpet.
His signature is now worth absolutely 4ck all, zero, nowt.
Well done Mike Scott, let's hope there's a whole load more to come.

If only you hadn't posted that picture none of this would have happened.
It's all your fault Cassidy :clap:

Awww poor Bitcher...trying so hard to whip up a frenzy with all of this, but as with your life, you failed yet again.

They're all laughing at you...

Oh yes, the ultimate sin in the eyes of the alt-right - "virtue signalling." Like being visibly decent is somehow a bad thing!

Would someone like to explain how Meat Is Murder and promoting PETA on all his products (entirely valid and justified) is NOT "virtue signalling"??

Not that what Mike did is virtue signalling at all. He's expressing the free speech Morrissey demands for himself but not others.

As I already said, I'm a lifelong fan who finally lost patience after 30 years. You can still be a fan without having to support everything he says and does. If Iggy had signed Bowie records, I'd have said the same thing. But Iggy doesn't have to.

I don't support everything he says. For instance, if anyone was bored enough to look through my comments on this site, they'd find I have criticised Morrissey for throwing out the protestor in Portland (which relates to your free-speech comment, I think). Also, I'm not alt-right. Maybe you weren't trying to imply that, but it's in the first line of your reply.

Selling those signed records at those prices looks grasping and cheap, if you want to know. I was merely commenting on Mike Scott gratuitously bringing in racism and general personal insults. It's obvious from the nature of his response that he's using the signed records 'incident' as a springboard to being able to wave a flag saying, "I'm against Morrissey too!" I call it virtue-signalling because there's no content to it. Whether one agrees with the song 'Meat Is Murder' or not, it's obvious that it's about the issue and not about simple in-group/out-group visibility.

On the other hand, virtue-signalling is about saying, "I'm one of the good guys" in a way that does nothing but strategically increase one's social capital. A virtue-signalling song by Morrissey would be 'I'm Not a Man' (though this also has some non-virtue-signalling elements (I actually think it's a pretty lyrically poor song, though I like the tune)). The fact that so many people fail to comprehend what virtue-signalling is (or pretend not to comprehend) ... well, things have really gone downhill in terms of social and intellectual sophistication in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

Edit: I wrote "does nothing but strategically increase one's social capital". I think it also has a strong negative social effect: it increases an atmosphere in which people abandon critical thinking in favour of jumping in with whoever they perceive to be the safest in-group for their purposes.

Last edited:
36 years of getting on the nerves of people I have nothing but contempt for. And no sign of it ending anytime soon. God bless Morrissey. He’s the gift that keeps giving.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom