Mike Joyce's 'plea' for Smiths reunion

UPDATE 9:30 AM PT:

Mike Joyce reply to article posted by Uncleskinny:

Mike has posted this on Facebook...

"The article that was in The Sun's Bizarre column today is now a header on MSN too. So, let's straighten a few things out. I was called by a journalist from The Independent to talk about a new music college opening in Manchester called, BIMM. During the interview I was (inevitably, now it seems) asked about The Smiths reforming. I said that if I was asked, I would probably say yes. That's it...The journalist who I spoke to has contacted The Sun and made a story out of it. There is no,"plea" from me as The Sun have stated or as MSN have suggested me, "urging Morrissey to consider reuniting the band in a bid to please fans." Nor will there ever be."

'Bring back The Smiths'
- article in the Sun

Column in the Sun claiming Mike Joyce wants to reunite The Smiths. Hardly revolutionary news, but he seems to have been thinking about the setlist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey doesn't want to ruin The Smiths legacy by reforming for the money, Joyce and the others don't care. It's as simple as that. In fact, there is no greater proof that Rourke and Joyce were 'lawnmower parts' than their eagerness to cash in now for the sake of £££££. Not an ounce of integrity between them.
I agree with you 100%. Rourke and Joyce are not artists and don't have integrity. It's all money, money, money with them. Rourke seems stuck-up to me. How Rourke can call himself a Christian is beyond me, nothing he does is part of the Christian faith. At least Joyce doesn't pretend to be a Christian. I think Joyce has retired as a drummer now anyway. Joyce seems a friendly, happy go lucky, life and soul of the party type but what Joyce did to Morrissey was terrible.

Mike looks the oldest i think, he looks as though in a way he is in his 60's. And andy looks rather like Roger Daltrey 10 years ago.
Roger Daltrey, CBE is a real rock legend. Roger Daltrey looks a lot better than Andy Rourke even now. Andy Rourke looks short, pale and weird to me and he has strange eyebrows and a strange dye job colored hair.

Imagine them all though stepping out on stage together, it'd be like an awkward school re-union, it'd be cringeworthy, and I'm on Morrissey's side that it should never happen. Everything would be a disaster. I'd rather Morrissey plod on solo doing his live shows for the next few years than see a re-union picture on the front of the NME in my local Tesco.

The mental image of that is not good. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

Roger Daltrey, CBE is a real rock legend. Roger Daltrey looks a lot better than Andy Rourke even now. Andy Rourke looks short, pale and weird to me and he has strange eyebrows and a strange dye job colored hair.
In that picture i still think he looked rather like him, not usually. I wasn't compairing there talent.

The Smiths should only ever appear on stage together again if time travel is invented and transports us back to the 1980s.

The idea of the 50-something year old ex-Smiths pretending to be friends again is pathetic.

One of the reasons they are special is that they're frozen in time, never to be disturbed. Let it rest.

I think mike joyce was misguided in his decision to sue morrissey. Someone planted the seed in his head he wouldnt have sowed if he were in a stronger place. and he;s smelly.

Moz should have just paid up then. As much as it pained him to lose in court at least if he'd just paid up that would have been an end to it instead of turning his bitterness over it into a life's work and he'd never have had to deal with Joyce again.

lol at butthurtiest.

He didn't deserve 25% so why should he have "paid up"?

Don't be a moron.

He didn't deserve 25% so why should he have "paid up"?

Don't be a moron.

Thanks for the insult. Is it impossible to express a view on this website without somebody being abusive in return? It's pretty f***ing tiresome.

"6. In 2001, as a final payment of back royalties, Johnny Marr paid Joyce 260 thousand pounds, plus "costs." At this time I was in the US and was not served with court proceedings, so Joyce obtained a Default Judgment. He then put forward a claim from me for 688 thousand pounds - well above and beyond the amount Johnny Marr was ordered to pay. In my absence, the figure was not contested.

10. In legal fees alone, Joyce has cost me 600 thousand pounds - this is quite apart from any payments made to him, and is quite apart from any money seized by him. In total, Joyce has cost me 1 million, 515 thousand pounds. This is an approximate figure - it could even be higher."

To my mind that means that Morrissey has paid far more than he had to just by deciding not to pay - obviously he didn't take heed of the term "don't cut your nose off to spite your face". Added to that, if a court orders you to do something you have to do it whether you deem it fair or not.

Yea, cause we all know that judges are always right...

So do you think it's better to pay twice over a matter of principle and turn your life and your art into a procession of bitterness or would it have just been better to pay up and move on?

Yea, cause we all know that judges are always right...

Sometimes they're right. Sometimes they're left. That day he was right. :straightface:

So do you think it's better to pay twice over a matter of principle and turn your life and your art into a procession of bitterness or would it have just been better to pay up and move on?

First of all, your phrasing makes it sound as if his entire life and art are / have been processions of bitterness since that court date.

That's not the case.

That said, NO, I don't think he should have paid up as the ruling was unjust at best and Joyce does not / did not deserve that much money.

Thanks for the insult. Is it impossible to express a view on this website without somebody being abusive in return? It's pretty f***ing tiresome.

"6. In 2001, as a final payment of back royalties, Johnny Marr paid Joyce 260 thousand pounds, plus "costs." At this time I was in the US and was not served with court proceedings, so Joyce obtained a Default Judgment. He then put forward a claim from me for 688 thousand pounds - well above and beyond the amount Johnny Marr was ordered to pay. In my absence, the figure was not contested.

10. In legal fees alone, Joyce has cost me 600 thousand pounds - this is quite apart from any payments made to him, and is quite apart from any money seized by him. In total, Joyce has cost me 1 million, 515 thousand pounds. This is an approximate figure - it could even be higher."

To my mind that means that Morrissey has paid far more than he had to just by deciding not to pay - obviously he didn't take heed of the term "don't cut your nose off to spite your face". Added to that, if a court orders you to do something you have to do it whether you deem it fair or not.

Hindsight is 20/20. I think you can sometimes also get to the point of no return where once you're committed to an action for so long, it seems ludicrous to turn back.

First of all, your phrasing makes it sound as if his entire life and art are / have been processions of bitterness since that court date.

That's not the case.

That said, NO, I don't think he should have paid up as the ruling was unjust at best and Joyce does not / did not deserve that much money.

You don't get a choice if a court case goes against you. You can appeal, then if that is unsuccessful, you are required to pay up. It's a very basic tenet of the judicial system.

I think Morrissey today is a very different creature to the one prior to that court date. His public persona is of a defeated man, mired in bitterness and anger. It isn't a very pretty sight.

In the next couple of months he'll be running his mouth off once more. We have La Middleton's baby imminent, and he is due a visit to Buenos Aires, and that will only end one way. The parallels between Morrissey and Lord Haw Haw are becoming clearer with each passing year. An Irishman, who masquerades as an Englishman, while spilling bile on his adopted homeland to left and right as he addresses the world.

The only difference is Morrissey gets less radio time.

Charlie Slater, Stewart Lee (He's let himself go), Warren Zevon, Frank Gallagher.
Warren Zevon (January 24th, 1947 – September 7th, 2003) was an American rock singer-songwriter and musician. He was known for the dark and somewhat bizarre sense of humor in his lyrics.

Who is Frank Gallagher?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom