Mike Joyce's 'plea' for Smiths reunion

UPDATE 9:30 AM PT:

Mike Joyce reply to article posted by Uncleskinny:

Mike has posted this on Facebook...

"The article that was in The Sun's Bizarre column today is now a header on MSN too. So, let's straighten a few things out. I was called by a journalist from The Independent to talk about a new music college opening in Manchester called, BIMM. During the interview I was (inevitably, now it seems) asked about The Smiths reforming. I said that if I was asked, I would probably say yes. That's it...The journalist who I spoke to has contacted The Sun and made a story out of it. There is no,"plea" from me as The Sun have stated or as MSN have suggested me, "urging Morrissey to consider reuniting the band in a bid to please fans." Nor will there ever be."

'Bring back The Smiths'
- article in the Sun

Column in the Sun claiming Mike Joyce wants to reunite The Smiths. Hardly revolutionary news, but he seems to have been thinking about the setlist!

Last edited by a moderator:
The journalist and Joyce both have their head up their own arses. How many times does this subject come up? The only time The Smiths will get back together are if strings are put on Morrisseys skeleton to move onstage and his voice is overdubbed with his dead body fake singing.

It'll never ever ever ever happen, why won't people realise?

How sad, Mike Joyce doing an interview with The Scum (prop. Rupert Murdoch). Morrissey has a solo career, Johnny has just released a solo album and is touring, Joyce has an internet radio show……

There will always be bitter people on here who will be against Joyce and Rourke.

End of the day, they had their parts to play in The Smiths. No matter how big or small, they did.

Drop the negativity. He was asked a question by a journo and answered it. The headline uses the word "plea". Well, hardly.

Poor guy - he's working, would like a pay day and he gets slagged off by internet idiots on here who probably don't see the outside of their bedrooms.

He has as much chance as turning into Dumbo with his ears carrying him off into the sunset.

(Ok so given their size already, it could happen but you know what I mean...)

Morrissey doesn't want to ruin The Smiths legacy by reforming for the money, Joyce and the others don't care. It's as simple as that. In fact, there is no greater proof that Rourke and Joyce were 'lawnmower parts' than their eagerness to cash in now for the sake of £££££. Not an ounce of integrity between them.

There will always be bitter people on here who will be against Joyce and Rourke.

End of the day, they had their parts to play in The Smiths. No matter how big or small, they did.

Drop the negativity. He was asked a question by a journo and answered it. The headline uses the word "plea". Well, hardly.

Poor guy - he's working, would like a pay day and he gets slagged off by internet idiots on here who probably don't see the outside of their bedrooms.

He already got a £1 million payday from Morrissey and Marr, what else does he want? Driveway needs paving, new swimming pool installed? Please.

He already got a £1 million payday from Morrissey and Marr, what else does he want? Driveway needs paving, new swimming pool installed? Please.

And it bothers you... because?

So what if he got a million pounds? It doesn't last forever - he's probably sank a lot of it into his radio station.

Why begrudge a member of one of our favourite bands a bit of cash?

What's more, he's actually a nice guy. You can see that. Stop writing horrible things about another man - you probably wouldn't say it to his face, so grow up.

If you would say it to his face, then I hope you're getting professional help.

Morrissey doesn't want to ruin The Smiths legacy by reforming for the money, Joyce and the others don't care. It's as simple as that. In fact, there is no greater proof that Rourke and Joyce were 'lawnmower parts' than their eagerness to cash in now for the sake of £££££. Not an ounce of integrity between them.

Wanting to make a decent living robs you of integrity? Give me a break. Rourke and Joyce are terrific musicians. More than money, I'm sure they treasure their time in the Smiths as the best few years of their life. Can you blame them for wanting to relive it?

If Morrissey had any faith in his own voice, he wouldn't hesitate to reform the Smiths. His lackluster performance would be the only thing that would tarnish the legacy.

He earned it.

Last edited:
Morrissey doesn't want to ruin The Smiths legacy by reforming for the money

I'm not 100% convinced this is the main reason. Personally I think the big issue is Morrissey's planet-sized ego. He's spent years since the Smiths as an artist in his own right, so reforming the Smiths would seem to him - I think - like an admission of defeat: that he really COULDN'T survive on his own without Johnny Marr after all.

Many people would argue that Morrissey is doing a good job at ruining the Smiths legacy by his own band's cover versions of their songs.
Can we ever forget/forgive his horrible pub-rock take on This Charming Man?
The Smiths reforming may, if anything, mend the damage he's done/doing to their legacy.

Sigh. I don't really want to become involved in this debate so I'm not even going to sign in, but I have to say, don't you think it's at least conceivable that "Joyce and others" *do* care and *do* think it would be possible to play some great music together without tarnishing their amazing legacy? It's not as if they've all gone saggy, it's not as if they're elderly yet, it's not as if they don't have an amazing catalogue of songs that people are dying to hear live again.

Also, for the person above who was being snide about Joyce's internet radio show: East Village Radio is terrific. Mark Ronson does a show for them too; you think he's hard up for cash or career opportunities?

i'm not 100% convinced this is the main reason. Personally i think the big issue is morrissey's planet-sized ego. He's spent years since the smiths as an artist in his own right, so reforming the smiths would seem to him - i think - like an admission of defeat: That he really couldn't survive on his own without johnny marr after all.

↑↑↑this↑↑↑

I will never ever understand the Andy and Mike hate. So he asked for a million pounds, Morrissey made that all back easily probably. He had his reasons, and as much as I love Morrissey, he's whiny and holds grudges and needs to get over it.

Wanting to make a decent living robs you of integrity? Give me a break. Rourke and Joyce are terrific musicians. More than money, I'm sure they treasure their time in the Smiths as the best few years of their life. Can you blame them for wanting to relive it?

If Morrissey had any faith in his own voice, he wouldn't hesitate to reform the Smiths. His lackluster performance would be the only thing that would tarnish the legacy.

Joyce is already a rich man, he is/was a millionaire and that is more than most of us will ever be. If he hasn't "made a decent living" since the Smiths, whose fault is that? Why should Morrissey have to reform the Smiths just to give him more money?

I have no idea what you're getting at with the comment about Morrissey's faith in his own voice.

I'm not 100% convinced this is the main reason. Personally I think the big issue is Morrissey's planet-sized ego. He's spent years since the Smiths as an artist in his own right, so reforming the Smiths would seem to him - I think - like an admission of defeat: that he really COULDN'T survive on his own without Johnny Marr after all.

Absolutely agree.

And it bothers you... because?

So what if he got a million pounds? It doesn't last forever - he's probably sank a lot of it into his radio station.

Why begrudge a member of one of our favourite bands a bit of cash?

What's more, he's actually a nice guy. You can see that. Stop writing horrible things about another man - you probably wouldn't say it to his face, so grow up.

If you would say it to his face, then I hope you're getting professional help.

I'm not bothered about the court case, but it's obvious that Joyce is not poor - he's not broke like Vini Reilly and struggling with basic expenses. He's already rich and he wants another big payday by trying to coerce Morrissey into reforming a band he hasn't been part of in 26 years. If that basic fact is 'horrible', so be it.

I'm not bothered about the court case, but it's obvious that Joyce is not poor - he's not broke like Vini Reilly and struggling with basic expenses. He's already rich and he wants another big payday by trying to coerce Morrissey into reforming a band he hasn't been part of in 26 years. If that basic fact is 'horrible', so be it.

"Coerce"? How, by any standard of plain English, is he trying to "coerce" Morrissey into reforming The Smiths?

Many people would argue that Morrissey is doing a good job at ruining the Smiths legacy by his own band's cover versions of their songs.
Can we ever forget/forgive his horrible pub-rock take on This Charming Man?
The Smiths reforming may, if anything, mend the damage he's done/doing to their legacy.

Who says this? Other than anonymous trolls on the internet?

I've seen him three times on this current tour with different people each time and they all were blown away by the show. One of them was a causal Smiths fan who had never listened to any of his solo stuff. She was very impressed. All of the reviews of his shows in the commercial, mainstream press (which hasn't always been favorably to the Moz) that I've read have been positive.

I'm not a sycophantic person who thinks Morrissey can do no wrong. I think the Smiths were probably better than his solo career, and I think that while some of his solo material has been truly amazing (Viva Hate, Bona Brag, Vauxhall and I) some of it has not been. None of it has been truly terrible, it just pales in comparison to his best work which is in a league of its own. I also don't agree with everything he says. While I admire his stance on the Falklands, the Royals, and animal rights I deeply disturbed and disgusted by his comments on the UKIP or immigration in general.

That being said I really can't figure out you're talking about. But then I don't really get any of the obsessive haters, many of which seem to just be anonymous trolls. They seem to be completely divorced from reality and quite frankly almost pathological.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom