Mike Joyce teams up with Salford Lad's Club for new Morrissey T-shirt

Morrissey photography by Mike Joyce on new limited T-Shirt, funds going to Salford Lad's Club. Modelled by actors Christopher Eccleston, Maxine Peake, John Thompson and DJ Mac Radcliffe. (see photos posted on the Salford Lads Club shop page or posted by Famous when dead in the comments below.)

Our new fundraising t-shirt features an original photo of Morrissey taken by Mike Joyce taken whilst on a Smiths US tour in 1986. Mike has generously allowed us to use the photo to raise funds for the club.
Thanks also to our Manc icons models, Chris Eccelston, Maxine Peake, John Thompson and Mark Radcliffe and Mike Joyce for joining in the fun and supporting the club.
The t-shirt is in a classic 80’s yellow, we’ve printed a limited run of 1000 shirts which are available excl...usively on our Salford Lads Club shop page, from Midnight on Thursday.
From Saturday they will also be available to purchase at Salford Lads Club, and from next Monday Aflecks in Manchester are also supporting us, the shirt will be available all next week from a Salford Lads Club popup shop at their famous indie store on Oldham Street.
The shirts are priced at £20 + p&p and are available from here:

https://salfordladsclub.org.uk

Please share and spread the word for this great cause.

https://www.facebook.com/mikejoyceofficial
https://salfordladsclub.org.uk/shop/#!/Morrissey-Boulevard/p/73640561/category=127384094
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...e-news/what-secret-mike-joyce-hiding-12056013

39239_morrissey_street_joyce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If to support the Lads club then it should have been a picture of the Smiths. To put just a picture of Morrissey on the shirt is saying that Morrissey WAS the Smiths and the others don't matter.

Remember that Mike owns the copyright, as he took the photo. It may well be the best image he has from that Smiths era. And unless at some point he put his camera on a timer, and gathered the rest of the band to stand with him, there aren't going to be any with all four members in anyway.

You Brits need to Set the Boy Free. Move on....This is really getting scary. If it helps, I reckon I know someone who can get you lots a "star map" and maybe Morrissey's house will be on there, but that would mean spending your life savings to come to LA. Crykey, I reckon I have given all of you lots so many subtle hints since I have been on this board.

Think you will find that there is a lot more to see regarding Morrissey in Manchester than in LA. Can you post a link to Morrissey tour in LA so we can compare?

http://www.manchestermusictours.com/the-smiths

http://britpopnews.com/5-trips-through-morrisseys-manchester/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1BOFaCCGcT5FseZTuAif_Zn0Z7Mo&hl=en

Yes but the Smiths = past. Morrissey is NOW. If to support the Lads club then it should have been a picture of the Smiths. To put just a picture of Morrissey on the shirt is saying that Morrissey WAS the Smiths and the others don't matter.

Joyce, time to move on... your lunch ticket is all but faded and no good here.

and what the hell is.... ' classic 80’s yellow' ? more like barfola yellow.

Or perhaps Morrissey could have modelled the shirt while on tour?

Or perhaps Morrissey could have modelled the shirt while on tour?

if you're saying M had a hand in this... that sounds more like wishful thinking on your part. Though I wouldn't mind being wrong... just doubt he would bother with this project if he knew Joyce would involve himself as he is doing.

if you're saying M had a hand in this... that sounds more like wishful thinking on your part. Though I wouldn't mind being wrong... just doubt he would bother with this project if he knew Joyce would involve himself as he is doing.

Don't know KS but he had his pop up there not long ago and as this is to raise funds for the club, it would have been nice if he would be involved in some way.

Don't know KS but he had his pop up there not long ago and as this is to raise funds for the club, it would have been nice if he would be involved in some way.

I agree with you. Just saying and knowing that he likes(and rightly so) a little control over the projects that he is involved in I don't think he would set foot on Joyce street(which could only be a dead end).

Last edited:
'he (sic) edge"? He WAS in The Smiths.
Not only that but he was a great drummer too. Way better than most of Moz solo's various drummers. Mike and Andy were vastly underrated. Same for Bruce and Rick from The Jam. History doesn't seem capable of fully appreciating a band: it always focuses on the main members. Fair enough, Moz is brilliant and Marr used to be brilliant, but Joyce was brilliant in his own way too. He always comes across as a top bloke in interviews. He doesn't base his interviews on slagging people off and complaining, which Moz tends to do sometimes. When people speak of Suede they never mention Simon Gilbert but he is a top drummer too. Steven Morris from New Order is fairly great too but he never gets a mention. Same for Boris Williams from The Cure (until he left after 'Wish').

Did Morrissey give his permission to use the photo? Kinda strange since the two have a less than amicable relationship.

Over here in The Netherlands, you cannot just use somebody's photograph without permission, even if you took the photo yourself (portretrecht, or 'portrait rights'). But then we're a civil-law country, no idea how this would work in a common-law jurisdiction. But I cannot imagine the personality rights being very different, certainly in a commercial setting?

Yes but the Smiths = past. Morrissey is NOW. If to support the Lads club then it should have been a picture of the Smiths. To put just a picture of Morrissey on the shirt is saying that Morrissey WAS the Smiths and the others don't matter.

Joyce, time to move on... your lunch ticket is all but faded and no good here.

and what the hell is.... ' classic 80’s yellow' ? more like barfola yellow.

This is correct in what I was driving at. Putting a pic of morrissey on the shirt because he was in the smiths instead of a pic of the smiths feels like he's saying that morrissey was the smiths and I was in the smiths so it's normal despite my lawsuit saying I was an equal partner which also caused a bitter rift between me and the subject of the pic. Its a weird. It's not that big a deal though and it's a good cause which I always applaud. Just seems odd to be very on the outs with morrissey but tweeting about being at his shows and putting a picture you took of him alone for a shirt especially when he probably has photos the rest of the guys or even one of Johnny. Why not put a pic of mike Joyce on a shirt. Could just be that morrissey so pic will do the most good but sometimes it almost seems like Bhops is right and he's just poking at him in a way he can't critisze without looking like a jerk which would be very clever. Could also just be some other simple reason I can't know but it's odd

Not only that but he was a great drummer too. Way better than most of Moz solo's various drummers. Mike and Andy were vastly underrated. Same for Bruce and Rick from The Jam. History doesn't seem capable of fully appreciating a band: it always focuses on the main members. Fair enough, Moz is brilliant and Marr used to be brilliant, but Joyce was brilliant in his own way too. He always comes across as a top bloke in interviews. He doesn't base his interviews on slagging people off and complaining, which Moz tends to do sometimes. When people speak of Suede they never mention Simon Gilbert but he is a top drummer too. Steven Morris from New Order is fairly great too but he never gets a mention. Same for Boris Williams from The Cure (until he left after 'Wish').

Not to mention the other John Maher (of Buzzcocks) :) Morris' drumming, especially on the Joy Division albums, is great, that nervous metronome drumming on "Disorder"...

Did Morrissey give his permission to use the photo? Kinda strange since the two have a less than amicable relationship.
Good God. Now you've started something Moz won't be able to finish in a decade long court case ending in Joyce having to pay back all his money to Moz but refusing for years, all because of a t-shirt.

Good God. Now you've started something Moz won't be able to finish in a decade long court case ending in Joyce having to pay back all his money to Moz but refusing for years, all because of a t-shirt.

If so, this new t-shirt may become a collector's item.

Not to mention the other John Maher (of Buzzcocks) :) Morris' drumming, especially on the Joy Division albums, is great, that nervous metronome drumming on "Disorder"...

can't imagine Division without the drumming of Morris, he was a important element of that band ,the sound, the feel of his drumming was perfect for them. Must have been influenced by Jaki Liebezeit of Can, and the drumming on Trout Mask Replica, as far as his approach in playing, kind of mechanical in a good way.

Last edited:
can't imagine Division without the drumming of Morris, he was a important element of that band ,the sound, the feel of his drumming was perfect for them. Must have been influenced by Jaki Liebezeit of Can, and the drumming on Trout Mask Replica, as far as his approach in playing, kind of mechanical in a good way.
True that. Also I think his drumming on the last New Order album 'Music Complete' was excellent and his best in years.

In this country, I don't think you need permission. Joyce took the photo, he owns it. Same way as Stephen Wright doesn't need permission from anyone if he wants to sell T-shirts and prints of his old 'Queen is Dead' photos.

That said, given that the Salford Lads Club have only recently worked with Morrissey on fundraising, and they presumably don't want to piss him off, you might expect that they would run the idea past him, just as a courtesy.

Over here in The Netherlands, you cannot just use somebody's photograph without permission, even if you took the photo yourself (portretrecht, or 'portrait rights'). But then we're a civil-law country, no idea how this would work in a common-law jurisdiction. But I cannot imagine the personality rights being very different, certainly in a commercial setting?
I'm here in Boston, where this photo was taken (we're all a-titter), and the Moz-fan lawyers in Criminal Justice here at the university where I work are saying they'd be shocked this would see the light of day without permission....fwiw.

Isn't this the guy that Morrissey doesn't like?
He looks like he is waiting for the short bus.

I'm here in Boston, where this photo was taken (we're all a-titter), and the Moz-fan lawyers in Criminal Justice here at the university where I work are saying they'd be shocked this would see the light of day without permission....fwiw.

America is not the world.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom