Mike Joyce pays tribute to Andy Rourke on BBC Breakfast (May 20, 2023)

Mike on BBC breakfast yesterday

Description - Richill / YouTube:

BBC Breakfast and Mike Joyce pay tribute to the late and great Andy Rourke. Johnny Marr confirmed "with deep sadness" that Rourke died after a lengthy illness with pancreatic cancer. In a statement posted on Twitter, Marr said: "Andy will be remembered as a kind and beautiful soul by those who knew him, and as a supremely gifted musician by music fans". Morrissey said, “Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments… as if their death is there to be used. I’m not prepared to do this with Andy. “I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he’s OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn’t ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done.” Morrissey added: “He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity – never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that.”

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Morrissey/Joyce were told about his health issues prior and if there was ever an effort to message or see Andy before his passing.....

Well said Mike, no one has a bad word for him, and everyone seems to realise the contribution he made.

THE rhythm section that we will remember forever.

Mike trying hard not to lose it here, it’s so moving. So glad he went to NY to hang with Andy

Mike on BBC breakfast yesterday

Description - Richill / YouTube:

BBC Breakfast and Mike Joyce pay tribute to the late and great Andy Rourke. Johnny Marr confirmed "with deep sadness" that Rourke died after a lengthy illness with pancreatic cancer. In a statement posted on Twitter, Marr said: "Andy will be remembered as a kind and beautiful soul by those who knew him, and as a supremely gifted musician by music fans". Morrissey said, “Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments… as if their death is there to be used. I’m not prepared to do this with Andy. “I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he’s OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn’t ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done.” Morrissey added: “He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity – never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that.”

Related item:

🌴🌴🌴dear Andy...91 X radio in San Diego just did a great tribute to your music with the Smiths this morning on their "Resurrection SUNDAY" Show. "T.C.M, T.H.R., I.D., & T.I.A.L.T.N.G.O., were among your many hits played. D.J.and Programing Mangr , did an excellent job in your memory, which we will always be so fond of.
Park Blvd.San Diego Smiths Gang...all of us...🌴🌴

‘Morrissey and Marr brought misery to The Smiths – Andy Rourke brought joy’ - James Hall The Telegraph

1684689684913.jpeg

❤️

That was very nice, would have been nice to show a bit more of Andy outside the Smiths and music it was still very touching.

Looks like Mike really appreciated the chance to have a platform to talk about the affection and respect he has for Andy. A lovely tribute.

Wonderful tribute, Mike. Brought a tear to my eye. Glad Mike and Andy got to see each other one last time.

"Bewildered" is such a perfect word to describe it. Pancreatic cancer is monstrous. How ill Andy looked in photos and the idea of him being near the end in February yet suffering for three more months, it's just awful. It feels so unjust that a good person has to go through that and yet all manner of bastards live into their 90s.

Notice how Mike referred to him in present tense when he said “he’s not very good on texting or Skype”. It shows how Andy’s death hasn’t properly registered or sank in yet and how difficult it will be to come to terms with. Grief is a process and takes many years to adapt and accept especially when the relationship is so long and deep rooted

Nice tribute, Mike. There's always a special musical bond between the guys in the rhythm section.
Clearly both Johnny and Mike knew for some time that Andy was ill. It's obviously none of our business, but it would be interesting to know if Andy reached out to Moz and managed to make contact before the end.

Mike is a sincere man. He’s never once thrown Morrissey under the bus, even when interviewers have offered him the chance.

That was a lovely interview. Weren’t The Smiths just absolutely crystalline perfect in every way?

I'm so glad Andy Rourke never realised how good a bass player he was. Clearly one who is damn good at what they do need not know just how good they are. The art speaks for itself. Realising how good one is releases the ego and we all know what happens after that ;)

Here in this riverside town of El Paso, KOFX 92.3 FM’s Friday noon all-request hour began with the host personally picking ”There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” and paying homage to Mr. Rourke.

A touching tribute from someone who knew him very well. In fact, all responses from the band members so far have said so much, really.

If you didn't know before, you're seeing it all now - the quality fabric that The Smiths were made of.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom