Mike Joyce FB/IG: "Win my original ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ Silver Disc" (September 1, 2022)

From Facebook:

302239916_373903218235491_4453444049014739829_n.jpg

Win my original ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ Silver Disc

Hi everyone, big news! It’s 35 years since The Smiths’ final album ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ was released and I’m giving you the chance to own a special piece of the group’s history.

I’m raffling my original silver disc that was presented to me when the album reached 60,000 sales. Rather than auctioning it to a wealthy collector I wanted to raffle it to give every Smiths fan a chance of owning it.

All the proceeds generated will go to raise money for Back on Track, a Manchester charity that I’m a patron of. I’ve worked with Back on Track on several projects over the last few years and I’ve seen for myself the difference they make. They’re currently supporting so many people struggling with the cost of living crisis and I wanted to do what I could to help.

To enter all you have to do is buy a £5 raffle ticket via Back on Track’s Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/fundraising/strangewaysraffle.
The draw will be on 28th September – 35 years to the day since the album’s release.

There are also four runner up prizes of this brilliant photo by photographer Paul Husband, who has captured the images of some of the biggest names in the music and entertainment industry. Each will be framed and signed by me.

Remember, this is the original official silver disc, not a copy. Strangeways, Here We Come is my personal favourite of our albums so this disc really means a lot to me – but I know what a massive difference the money we raise will make to people going through a hard time. You can buy as many tickets as you want – let’s raise as much as we can. Please share this to as many folk as you can. Good luck!

Just photo details:

Mike's charity:

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Most of those places you have mentioned, are now plush apartments, or fancy bars and restaurants nowadays.
Imagine the surprise of the Hacienda Apartments a few years ago when I landed in, dropped an E, and started dancing in their living room.

Imagine the surprise of the Hacienda Apartments a few years ago when I landed in, dropped an E, and started dancing in their living room.
For some reason I actually believe
This 🙄 to be true.....

IMG_20220901_222725.jpg

IMG_20220901_222907.jpg

A bit of personal context.
FWD.

Most of those places you have mentioned, are now plush apartments, or fancy bars and restaurants nowadays.
It’s coming full circle CB; in Stalybridge the rebirth came to an abrupt halt about 15 years ago and the area has been very much in regression ever since. It’s now starting to look like the 80s again. With less pubs.

What did our Mozzy think about Joyce's action? I think Moz should make known things or something serious important that he does in his life but for others, for example for the 3rd kingdom, that is, the animal kingdom, I see passivity, I see it like this because it does not show anything, if you do Moz you must show, I know you do it!!! A while ago I was going to say that I would like to see Moz tell what he is doing for animals for example. Moz samples

Good gesture from the man. I don't like Joyce but,... if you donate it is a good act

Mm wanted to say that I would like to know what Morrissey does today for example for the cause he defends ,!!! Nothing more!!!!!!

It's always been amazing to me that The Smiths created such beautiful, flowery music --- yet they grew up in what appears (in photos anyway) to be a pretty miserable place.
Once upon a time that’s why it’s been so productive, to escape the bleakness but now it’s literally like a huge greenhouse - far more miserable down South

wee doggies dont look real,and they cartainly arent on a chain.
well done mike for doing your bit for charity,every little bit helps in these troubling times.

It's always been amazing to me that The Smiths created such beautiful, flowery music --- yet they grew up in what appears (in photos anyway) to be a pretty miserable place.

However, Manchester must be a breeding ground for original musical talent, including The Chameleons.
THE CHAMELEONS are the best kept secret of rock history. Thanks for mentioning them. I am a huge fan and will always be.

What did our Mozzy think about Joyce's action? I think Moz should make known things or something serious important that he does in his life but for others, for example for the 3rd kingdom, that is, the animal kingdom, I see passivity, I see it like this because it does not show anything, if you do Moz you must show, I know you do it!!! A while ago I was going to say that I would like to see Moz tell what he is doing for animals for example. Moz samples

Maybe Morrissey should out-philanthropize Mike Joyce by raffling off something more valuable than a silver Strangeways disc, and donating the proceeds to an animal charity.

I hate to say it, but the thing with Mike Joyce's charity is that it doesn't vet its beneficiaries for diet. So he may be saving humans, but if they're humans who eat meat, then his charity only increases the overall suffering quotient. I believe Joyce himself is a vegetarian.

Last edited:
I would be afraid to receive anything from Joyce and he'll sue later demanding 25%

Maybe Morrissey should out-philanthropize Mike Joyce by raffling off something more valuable than a silver Strangeways disc, and donating the proceeds to an animal charity.

I hate to say it, but the thing with Mike Joyce's charity is that it doesn't vet its beneficiaries for diet. So he may be saving humans, but if they're humans who eat meat, then his charity only increases the overall suffering quotient. I believe Joyce himself is a vegetarian.

So you think only vegetarians should be supported by Back On Track?

So you think only vegetarians should be supported by Back On Track?

Maybe. Wouldn't it incentivize a compassionate diet? It wouldn't be too different, in principle, from the various incentives set up for welfare benefits. Just spitballing, but there has to be some consideration of the kind of life you want to save.

Maybe. Wouldn't it incentivize a compassionate diet? It wouldn't be too different, in principle, from the various incentives set up for welfare benefits. Just spitballing, but there has to be some consideration of the kind of life you want to save.

I doubt there are many people who suffer with drug/alcohol/mental health issues or the homeless, are vegetarian.

I doubt there are many people who suffer with drug/alcohol/mental health issues or the homeless, are vegetarian.

I agree. That's something you might want to change. I mean, they're not working or learning skills or getting treatment, either. They need help with things, and I think that's why this charity was set up. By making vegetarianism a requirement for receiving aid, the charity would become doubly effective: it would offer aid to humans, and at the same time it would decrease animal suffering.

I agree. That's something you might want to change. I mean, they're not working or learning skills or getting treatment, either. They need help with things, and I think that's why this charity was set up. By making vegetarianism a requirement for receiving aid, the charity would become doubly effective: it would offer aid to humans, and at the same time it would decrease animal suffering.
And not just decrease animal suffering - but help to save the planet (and humans) in a few different ways.

I eat very little meat and mostly eat fruits and vegetables, breads, nuts, etc. Where I live, the cost and the availability of meats is starting to prohibit making those kinds of choices. I'm alright with that though, because I've always been way more of a fish/chicken/turkey eater than steaks or pork, hands down.

McFate has a good point about learning skills - as in changing your diet to better suit 'your own' economy and it's way more sustainable and cost effective overall, and better for you physically in the end. Positive changes can often be foundational where other things start to fall into place as well because your lifestyle has started evolving. Additionally, I believe that many non-vegetarians will be headed in that direction soon if things keep up globally the way they are now.

Hopefully we never have an edible plant (and derivatives) shortage around the globe. We certainly have a tree shortage.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom