Mike Joyce FB/IG: "Win my original ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ Silver Disc" (September 1, 2022)

From Facebook:

302239916_373903218235491_4453444049014739829_n.jpg

Win my original ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ Silver Disc

Hi everyone, big news! It’s 35 years since The Smiths’ final album ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ was released and I’m giving you the chance to own a special piece of the group’s history.

I’m raffling my original silver disc that was presented to me when the album reached 60,000 sales. Rather than auctioning it to a wealthy collector I wanted to raffle it to give every Smiths fan a chance of owning it.

All the proceeds generated will go to raise money for Back on Track, a Manchester charity that I’m a patron of. I’ve worked with Back on Track on several projects over the last few years and I’ve seen for myself the difference they make. They’re currently supporting so many people struggling with the cost of living crisis and I wanted to do what I could to help.

To enter all you have to do is buy a £5 raffle ticket via Back on Track’s Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/fundraising/strangewaysraffle.
The draw will be on 28th September – 35 years to the day since the album’s release.

There are also four runner up prizes of this brilliant photo by photographer Paul Husband, who has captured the images of some of the biggest names in the music and entertainment industry. Each will be framed and signed by me.

Remember, this is the original official silver disc, not a copy. Strangeways, Here We Come is my personal favourite of our albums so this disc really means a lot to me – but I know what a massive difference the money we raise will make to people going through a hard time. You can buy as many tickets as you want – let’s raise as much as we can. Please share this to as many folk as you can. Good luck!

Just photo details:

Mike's charity:

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Is it me or does this photo look shopped? Reminds me of a SER Morrissey one. Good on Mike for giving it away to charity. Guess he is not hard up for money....wonder why??

He's already offed Smiths gold/platinum discs.

MIM:

QID:

& QID Platinum (same charity):

FWD.

It's always been amazing to me that The Smiths created such beautiful, flowery music --- yet they grew up in what appears (in photos anyway) to be a pretty miserable place.

However, Manchester must be a breeding ground for original musical talent, including The Chameleons.

From Facebook:

View attachment 83738

Win my original ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ Silver Disc

Hi everyone, big news! It’s 35 years since The Smiths’ final album ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’ was released and I’m giving you the chance to own a special piece of the group’s history.

I’m raffling my original silver disc that was presented to me when the album reached 60,000 sales. Rather than auctioning it to a wealthy collector I wanted to raffle it to give every Smiths fan a chance of owning it.

All the proceeds generated will go to raise money for Back on Track, a Manchester charity that I’m a patron of. I’ve worked with Back on Track on several projects over the last few years and I’ve seen for myself the difference they make. They’re currently supporting so many people struggling with the cost of living crisis and I wanted to do what I could to help.

To enter all you have to do is buy a £5 raffle ticket via Back on Track’s Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/fundraising/strangewaysraffle.
The draw will be on 28th September – 35 years to the day since the album’s release.

There are also four runner up prizes of this brilliant photo by photographer Paul Husband, who has captured the images of some of the biggest names in the music and entertainment industry. Each will be framed and signed by me.

Remember, this is the original official silver disc, not a copy. Strangeways, Here We Come is my personal favourite of our albums so this disc really means a lot to me – but I know what a massive difference the money we raise will make to people going through a hard time. You can buy as many tickets as you want – let’s raise as much as we can. Please share this to as many folk as you can. Good luck!

Just photo details:

Mike's charity:

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Good luck whoever wins.
Love it for a day before you eBay it away .

Definitely, one of my favorites in the Smiths cannon. Words , voice, music and production are all in their prime. The lp is one of the first Smiths lps that seemed bright and light in terns or tge colour the mind creates
Lovely bit of stuff

Obviously I mean no offense to people that live in Manchester nor am I saying that those people themselves are miserable. The place in photos/videos just gives that vibe. Plus, Mike J. is a big fan of posing for photos in front of smokestacks, warehouses, etc.

It's a great thing that Mike is doing here. He uses his celebrity to organize events like this.

Good luck whoever wins.
Love it for a day before you eBay it away .

Definitely, one of my favorites in the Smiths cannon. Words , voice, music and production are all in their prime. The lp is one of the first Smiths lps that seemed bright and light in terns or tge colour the mind creates
Lovely bit of stuff

Hey Dirk! Not joking - I love reading your posts here!!!! :guitar:

Obviously I mean no offense to people that live in Manchester nor am I saying that those people themselves are miserable. The place in photos/videos just gives that vibe. Plus, Mike J. is a big fan of posing for photos in front of smokestacks, warehouses, etc.

It's a great thing that Mike is doing here. He uses his celebrity to organize events like this.
It's always been amazing to me that The Smiths created such beautiful, flowery music --- yet they grew up in what appears (in photos anyway) to be a pretty miserable place.

However, Manchester must be a breeding ground for original musical talent, including The Chameleons.

Unfortunately the press, etc could only see how ‘miserable’ they were. But Morrissey went out of his way to make a point it seems, with the waving of gladioli, etc. To change one’s perspective, and dare I say … seeing the brighter side to life in spite of or maybe to spite one’s environment or where they came from. From the flowers, voice, words, joyful music, record sleeves … these are his weapons of choice.

Creativity comes from pain and struggle and a need to escape. It rarely comes from comfort or contentment. Manchester is particular has given so much to the world of music: Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Moz, James, Chameleons, The Buzzcocks, Oasis, The Fall, Stone Roses, Elbow, to name a few. We won't mention Simply Red and Take That.

Creativity comes from pain and struggle and a need to escape. It rarely comes from comfort or contentment.
That’s usually the case, but not always the case.
But I do find the better art, comes from
those that know pain and are willing to investigate it for creative purposes and/or just to keep one’s sanity. Though what’s ‘better’ art, is subjective, and maybe I think it’s better simply because I relate to it on some level more or less.
Manchester is particular has given so much to the world of music: Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Moz, James, Chameleons, The Buzzcocks, Oasis, The Fall, Stone Roses, Elbow, to name a few. We won't mention Simply Red and Take That.

Most of the artists you listed above, I think it could be said, all escape pain in different ways, which becomes their unique perspective and offering.

Unfortunately the press, etc could only see how ‘miserable’ they were. But Morrissey went out of his way to make a point it seems, with the waving of gladioli, etc. To change one’s perspective, and dare I say … seeing the brighter side to life in spite of or maybe to spite one’s environment or where they came from. From the flowers, voice, words, joyful music, record sleeves … these are his weapons of choice.

K. Sun!!! You're great too - been reading your stuff for years.

Growing up in America in the 80s/90s - the Smiths sound and images were wonderful and refreshing to me. The sleeves looked drastically different than most album art that came out in the US, so different - just like their sound. Morrissey's stage 'persona' was otherworldly compared to glam-metal, grunge, and gangsta-rap. The whole thing really helped opened my eyes to more of the substance of the world, and I'm eternally grateful for it.

I certainly do not have a problem with all the smokestack pictures!!! :) I was just making a general observation.

Creativity comes from pain and struggle and a need to escape. It rarely comes from comfort or contentment. Manchester is particular has given so much to the world of music: Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Moz, James, Chameleons, The Buzzcocks, Oasis, The Fall, Stone Roses, Elbow, to name a few. We won't mention Simply Red and Take That.

ACTON! HELLO!!!! "Nothing had the chance to be good, so nothing ever could. I'll keep holding on". :)

"Rabbit Hole" by James....I got to see James in Philadelphia, right after a health scare that caused a ton of pain - happened the morning of the concert. I still went to the concert, and was listening to the double-album that just came out (Morning After/Night Before) while driving. I remember driving almost hunched over b/c the pain was serious business - and "Rabbit Hole" came on - and for 5 minutes my pain literally went away. I said to my wife after the first listen, "That's probably the greatest song I've ever heard".

I do know about how many artists have suffered as youths, regardless of location. Like Bono, Ian Astbury - watched their mothers slowly die. Dave Navarro - witnessed the murder of his mother by her ex-boyfriend. John Lennon's mother died when he was young. There's no doubt in my mind that these tragedies provided such motivation for these individuals to push themselves artistically to be the best they could be.

I definitely appreciate all the posts, but please don't get me wrong.

I
ACTON! HELLO!!!! "Nothing had the chance to be good, so nothing ever could. I'll keep holding on". :)

"Rabbit Hole" by James....I got to see James in Philadelphia, right after a health scare that caused a ton of pain - happened the morning of the concert. I still went to the concert, and was listening to the double-album that just came out (Morning After/Night Before) while driving. I remember driving almost hunched over b/c the pain was serious business - and "Rabbit Hole" came on - and for 5 minutes my pain literally went away. I said to my wife after the first listen, "That's probably the greatest song I've ever heard".

I do know about how many artists have suffered as youths, regardless of location. Like Bono, Ian Astbury - watched their mothers slowly die. Dave Navarro - witnessed the murder of his mother by her ex-boyfriend. John Lennon's mother died when he was young. There's no doubt in my mind that these tragedies provided such motivation for these individuals to push themselves artistically to be the best they could be.

I definitely appreciate all the posts, but please don't get me wrong.
I think it's a question of degree and "suffering" is relative.
It's true Manchester, in the 70s, wasn't the best place in the world. It's true M was working class and single parent but it wasn't bad for him, he had it easy compared to most people on Earth- M's suffering was more about his own self-worth and self-image- due to gender, intelligence etc That is my guess and when I run that by people who know him they tend to agree.

Also, Boredom would have been a key motivator
When its raining, cold and there isn't much to do, you have to create your own world and that is what M did
After visiting Austria, America and Greece, France, Spain, Turkey, Israel, Mexico and other places
I'm now certain the only reason the UK created so many great bands, is because it was a shitty country in many ways With nothing much to do, so the kids create culture.. Or they did.
As far as cities go, I love England mate but its starting to seem like a 3rd world country
Manchester is much better now than it was in M's youth. The people are great, the natural countryside is awesome and some of the victorian buildings are nice to see and its one of the UKs best cities but beyond that, it's not great. When you compare all the cities in the UK to Berlin, Paris, Rome, LA or NY. That they just so not stack up. I don't think anyway.

"Creativity comes from pain and struggle"

It can do but not all art and creativity comes from that .
In fact maybe only a small part of art comes from pain and struggle .
I think its almost teenage to look at art in those terns. Morrissey, Ian Brown, John Lennon Paul weller and Brett Anderson all probably had quite nice lives in many ways but they all created nice music .

You can Also take The Beach Boys , The Doors , Sparks they all came from nice homes in sunny LA and they all created some fantastic art .I think its about wanting to create for expression and communication connection
The troubled artist is real but often a romantic ideal

Edit these are just my f***ing opinions. I'm not saying that are right .I'm saying to me they seem correct. They seem true .
I'm not asking anyone to agree .

Last edited:
I

I think it's a question of degree and "suffering" is relative.
It's true Manchester, in the 70s, wasn't the best place in the world. It's true M was working class and single parent but it wasn't bad for him, he had it easy compared to most people on Earth- M's suffering was more about his own self-worth and self-image- due to gender, intelligence etc That is my guess and when I run that by people who know him they tend to agree.

Also, Boredom would have been a key motivator
When its raining, cold and there isn't much to do, you have to create your own world and that is what M did
After visiting Austria, America and Greece, France, Spain, Turkey, Israel, Mexico and other places
I'm now certain the only reason the UK created so many great bands, is because it was a shitty country in many ways With nothing much to do, so the kids create culture.. Or they did.
As far as cities go, I love England mate but its starting to seem like a 3rd world country
Manchester is much better now than it was in M's youth. The people are great, the natural countryside is awesome and some of the victorian buildings are nice to see and its one of the UKs best cities but beyond that, it's not great. When you compare all the cities in the UK to Berlin, Paris, Rome, LA or NY. That they just so not stack up. I don't think anyway.

Thank you, Dirk, for your insight always.

Your kind of post here, for example, is a big reason this website has been a favorite of mine for 25 years.

Most of those places you have mentioned, are now plush apartments, or fancy bars and restaurants nowadays.

"Creativity comes from pain and struggle"

It can do but not all art and creativity comes from that .
In fact maybe only a small part of art comes from pain and struggle .
I think its almost teenage to look at art in those terns. Morrissey, Ian Brown, John Lennon Paul weller and Brett Anderson all probably had quite nice lives in many ways but they all created nice music .

You can Also take The Beach Boys , The Doors , Sparks they all came from nice homes in sunny LA and they all created some fantastic art .I think its about wanting to create for expression and communication connection
The troubled artist is real but often a romantic ideal

Edit these are just my f***ing opinions. I'm not saying that are right .I'm saying to me they seem correct. They seem true .
I'm not asking anyone to agree .
Aww yah, I was just saying I think those bands were trying to escape something or make something better for themselves. I know Brett Anderson would look at the train line at Haywards Heath and want to leave for London. He grew up in poverty, relative to affluent middle class UK I mean. Bernard Sumner grew up without much but says he was very happy as a young child. Perhaps the impetus for art is sometimes a yearning for something else, not necessarily money but maybe a striving to be doing what you're "supposed to be doing", instead of a dead end job surrounded by people happy with their lot or resigned to it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom