Mike Joyce FB/IG: on Strangeways upcoming 35th anniversary & a chance to own... TBA (August 9, 2022)

Screenshot_20220809-121855~2.png

NB:
Thread title subject to change when the 'chance to own' is clearer.
Regards,
FWD.

(S, HWC - released September 28, 1987).

Will it be something he is legally entitled to sell or posses? Wasn't there an item some years back, a master tape or something, that caused some lawyerly type of communication?

Maybe he's givin' away the sampler that
they had to use for his drum parts.
:lbf:
I must admit that the excellent drums on Death Of A Disco Dancer sound suspiciously like the drums on Siouxsie's cover of Dear Prudence (listen at the 2min 30 secs mark if you don't believe me).

I must admit that the excellent drums on Death Of A Disco Dancer sound suspiciously like the drums on Siouxsie's cover of Dear Prudence (listen at the 2min 30 secs mark if you don't believe me).

WOW! That's very similar. Budgie (Siouxie drummer) was a contemporary to someone like Mike J. and probably was inspirational to him. Also, Robert Smith (Cure) played guitar on that track.

WOW! That's very similar. Budgie (Siouxie drummer) was a contemporary to someone like Mike J. and probably was inspirational to him. Also, Robert Smith (Cure) played guitar on that track.
Or it's just a massively dull coincidence.

I can see people thinking it sounds dull due to the fact that it's simplistic.

The innovative part about it is the long push/pull at the end of every phrase of the verse (i.e.Dancer..bum..bum...baaaaaaaaam/Involved..bum..bum...baaaaaaaaam). He also plays more aggressively as the song progresses...in a Ringo kind of way (and Dear Prudence is a Beatles song - coincidence??:tiphat:).
My least favorite part is his slow breakdown, with the heavy organ sound playing louder, right before Johnny's minimalist solo. That's probably my least favorite part on that entire album, drums or otherwise.

My point was that The Dear Prudence cover came out in 83/84 I think, and that's plenty of time to influence Mike's playing in 86/87. And drummers everywhere cite Budgie as an influence. Also, I think every Smith was a fan of the Banshees and you would think they probably listened to them together.

It could be a coincidence but I wouldn't call it dull. Also I'd have to think that Mike would have heard that song as it was very popular. Not saying he copied it but it's possible he heard it and liked it.

Thanks Mike for this opportunity.

No doubt the haters are gonna hate......

Mike wasn't a replaceable part of a lawnmower. Morrissey was wrong. Don't talk about people like that, who even played on some of you best early solo tracks! The Smiths were (most of the time) a 4 piece band and Mike has all the rights, to give away goodies for an anniversary. It's simple as that.

Was Michael 'Mike' Joyce a "greyhound unleashed" behind the drum kit in the same manner as beloved Matthew 'Matt' Walker? I think maybe so, I think I must say.

I was at a John Grant concert in a small venue in Ireland a couple of years back pre-Covid with some friends. At the start of the concert I turned to a friend and said "your man on drums looks uncannily like Budgie." Friend says "That's cos he IS Budgie!". It made my night to hear him on drums.

Mike wasn't a replaceable part of a lawnmower. Morrissey was wrong. Don't talk about people like that, who even played on some of you best early solo tracks! The Smiths were (most of the time) a 4 piece band and Mike has all the rights, to give away goodies for an anniversary. It's simple as that.
I think Mike was brilliant on drums. I'm not changing that opinion cos Moz got screwed over in court. Mike and Andy were great.

Everyone in The Smiths excelled at their respective parts. Mike was probably not as much of a virtuoso as the others, but he was still incredible. And remains one of the top 3 drummers M has ever worked with.

I think Mike was brilliant on drums. I'm not changing that opinion cos Moz got screwed over in court. Mike and Andy were great.

They were great. And you’re right M & Marr got screwed over in court.

‘Joyce’s barrister argued that Marr and Morrissey treated the drummer and bassist as “mere session musicians, as readily replaceable as the parts in a lawnmower”.

Just to make clear, Morrissey never said that lawnmower parts line about Mike and Andy. Some people believe he did.

Each time I have met Mike he has been lovely. A genuinely nice guy.
And never once since the day I first discovered The Smiths have I ever once been concern of him be racist or right-wing.

Yep, I feel the same way about Morrissey. And so does Joyce.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom