Mike Joyce and Stephen Morris Q+A Drummers and Songwriting (Manchester, Sep. 21, 2017)

Stories From the Seat - HOME

Date & Time
Thu 21 Sep 2017, 19.30

BBC’s Mark Radcliffe hosts an evening with drummer Pete Marshall (Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott) and Manchester greats Mike Joyce (The Smiths) and Stephen Morris (Joy Division/New Order) as they play and discuss their individual approaches to drumming and their contributions to some of Manchester’s best-known songs.

Should be enjoyable in a train wreck sort of way...

40547_joyce_morris_marshall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe. But he is not - artist.
I dunno. I always liked the way he played. It's like Boris Williams from The Cure. To me he was the best drummer they had and I think the newer drummer Jason is crap. I'd rate Joyce above any drummers Moz has worked with since. Spencer had his moments and Woodie Taylor was great on Vauxhall, but I think Joyce is way better than the Walker brother.
Rick Buckler was an amazing drummer with The Jam but you rarely hear his name mentioned. I think drummers are treated unfairly by people especially if they fall foul of the lead singer. Many 'fans' of Moz hate Joyce when in reality he helped propel The Smiths. Ok he wasn't the driving force but his sound impacted their music. For the better I think.

I dunno. I always liked the way he played. It's like Boris Williams from The Cure. To me he was the best drummer they had and I think the newer drummer Jason is crap. I'd rate Joyce above any drummers Moz has worked with since. Spencer had his moments and Woodie Taylor was great on Vauxhall, but I think Joyce is way better than the Walker brother.
Rick Buckler was an amazing drummer with The Jam but you rarely hear his name mentioned. I think drummers are treated unfairly by people especially if they fall foul of the lead singer. Many 'fans' of Moz hate Joyce when in reality he helped propel The Smiths. Ok he wasn't the driving force but his sound impacted their music. For the better I think.

Paresi did fine work on Viva Hate. More finesse than Cobrin. Drummer on Ringleader got cheated by poor production (yes, I know I'm talking about the great Visconti). Joyce played his role very well. Not to overstate his contribution but its hard for me to imagine The Smiths sound without him; same value as that of Ringo or Stewart Copeland to their bands. Stating the obvious but that's why it's a "band." His style compliments and enhances the others, helps define the sound. At the very least, he was more than an interchangeable lawn mower part. In his heart of hearts, petty squabbles and held grudges aside, I wager Moz knows this.

Crykey m8, reckon that looks like a scene from the break room at a Walmart in Arkansas.

Ha, you are right. Look at those lamps, the plastic "coffee" cups.
Not a very inspiring environment to talk the drums.
Are the BBC cutting on expenses again?
Did they have to search long for such an Americanized place in England? I bet not. :rolleyes:

Reckon I was thinking more that the 3 chaps make it look more like a Walmart coffee break room in Arkansas. Reckon it never ceases to amaze me the similarities between British people and people from the South of the US although I guess meth head Mike has an Irish last name.

I think those must be the surviving lamps from "The More You Ignore Me" video after Morrissey had his way with them.

bog standard drummer. Nothing interesting or outstanding about any of his work. John Maher and Stephen Morris are 2 manchester contemporaries who drum rings around him. John Lever too.

bog standard drummer. Nothing interesting or outstanding about any of his work. John Maher and Stephen Morris are 2 manchester contemporaries who drum rings around him. John Lever too.

Loved watching John Maher on Moving away from the pulse beat and late for the train.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom