"Mid90s" features "We'll Let You Know" in soundtrack

Shoplifterromo writes:

Just checked out Jonah Hill’s directorial debut, “Mid90s”, and was surprised to see a Smiths poster in a bedroom scene and was thrilled to hear Morrissey’s “We’ll Let You Know” during an extended skate scene. As for the film itself, props to Mr. Hill for directing and writing a wonderful piece on old Moz favorites like isolation and wanting.

44662_mid90s.jpg

Related item:

1. Has Jonah Hill ever been to a Moz gig or ever bought a Moz album?
  2. Has Jonah Hill ever met Moz?
  3. Why is he relevant?

i saw the movie last week. it's great! a nice score by trent reznor & atticus ross too. the scene with the morrissey song made it even better. :)

I thought it was going to be something obvious like "The More You Ignore Me..." - but good choice and looking forward to seeing the film.

Jonah grew up with a lot of Hispanic skateboarders in LA and that's how he was introduced to the music of Moz.
He went ahead and threw some Moz music in his picture because it meant something special to him.
Jonah went ahead and stayed authentic to the culture.

Jonah grew up with a lot of Hispanic skateboarders in LA and that's how he was introduced to the music of Moz.
He went ahead and threw some Moz music in his picture because it meant something special to him.
Jonah went ahead and stayed authentic to the culture.

According to his Wikipedia:

He grew up in the wealthy Los Angeles neighbourhood of Cheviot Hills, where he continues to live to this day, and attended the Center for Early Education, Brentwood School, and then Crossroads School, in Santa Monica. Where do the Hispanics live in wealthy parts of Los Angeles that arent making loads of $$$? Last time I checked Hispanics that don't have loads of money live in middle to lower class homes...

Im assuming you dont know anything about Jonah Hill besides that he "grew up with a lot of Hispanic skateboarders in LA "... LOL

3. Why is he relevant?

I don't know the answer to those questions - but if you've been following this story then you know that Morrissey approved the use of his song. The idea that Jonah Hill needs to work extra hard to earn his fanship because he's famous is ridiculous. It's cool that some new fans may learn about Morrissey from the soundtrack - where's the downside?

Last edited:
  3. Why is he relevant?
how do you know hes not got every album and has met M on a number of occasions ,this was discussed weeks ago on here and the link seems to be russel brand,hes very relevant as an Oscar nominated actor and has just finished his directorial debut,we all know on here that Morrissey is very precious about his music being in films.

According to his Wikipedia:

He grew up in the wealthy Los Angeles neighbourhood of Cheviot Hills, where he continues to live to this day, and attended the Center for Early Education, Brentwood School, and then Crossroads School, in Santa Monica. Where do the Hispanics live in wealthy parts of Los Angeles that arent making loads of $$$? Last time I checked Hispanics that don't have loads of money live in middle to lower class homes...

Im assuming you dont know anything about Jonah Hill besides that he "grew up with a lot of Hispanic skateboarders in LA "... LOL

Why would Wild T lie?
Check what he said at 2:41.

I read the first few posts and decided to skip the rest. I just saw the movie and would categorize it as the best coming-of-age film I’ve seen in twenty years and the best overall film I’ve seen in five years. The music, editing, character dynamics and story were impeccable. The scene featuring the Morrissey song was the most beautiful piece of irony I’ve seen in years, a scene where a pasty skinny white child is being schooled on life and how you-never-know-the-battle-other-people-are-fighting-lecture is given by the beautiful, black-as-night gang leader (who keeps the peace in several situations) after a scene of petty embarrassment, they skate all night, he stays up with him and supports him all night to the Morrissey song which is traditionally referred to as a white supremist anthem. It was f***ing gorgeous and relevant and subtle. Jonah Hill is a goddam genius give him all my money for future movies. Morrissey’s song segued into a west-side rap after the sun rose. It was so well done. JONAH!!!!!!! Omg so good. What an honor for Morrissey to be a part of such a cool f***ing movie that’ll become a frequent reference among the illiterati of 90s culture. So proud of everyone in this venture.

f*** those people five posts in judging Jonah Hill. f***ing idiots. Go actually see the movie you f***ing assholes.

Attachments

• E3C09DCF-685E-4469-8D5D-DDDE63CE415F.jpeg
    E3C09DCF-685E-4469-8D5D-DDDE63CE415F.jpeg
    986 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I read the first few posts and decided to skip the rest. I just saw the movie and would categorize it as the best coming-of-age film I’ve seen in twenty years and the best overall film I’ve seen in five years. The music, editing, character dynamics and story were impeccable. The scene featuring the Morrissey song was the most beautiful piece of irony I’ve seen in years, a scene where a pasty skinny white child is being schooled on life and how you never know the battle other people are fighting lecture is given by the beautiful black-as-night gang leader who keeps the peace after a scene of petty embarrassment, they skate all night, he stays up with him and supports him all night to the Morrissey song which is traditionally referred to as a white supremist anthem. It was f***ing gorgeous and relevant and subtle. Jonah Hill is a goddam genius give him all my money for future movies. Morrissey’s song segued into a west-side rap after the sun rose. It was so well done. JONAH!!!!!!! Omg so good. What an honor for Morrissey to be a part of such a cool f***ing movie that’ll become a frequent reference among the illiterati of 90s culture. So proud of everyone in this venture.

I was on the fence until I read that there were characters named f***shit and Forth Grade, which made me never want to see any movie ever again.

But when I read that Hill chose We'll Let You Know as the song they skate to, I'm swayed back. However, I have a feeling the irony of the song's use is lost on Hill.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom