Michael Legge and "Striptease" ?

123xyz

Subscriber
I realise this question is probably a few years too late now but does anybody know how Michael Legge, the comedian, came by that copy of "Striptease" (which was released into the wild by him in the late '90s-early '00s) ? Is the song "Fantastic Bird" , as rumour has it , in someway connected with this ostensibly peculiar event ?

I realise this question is probably a few years too late now but does anybody know how Michael Legge, the comedian, came by that copy of "Striptease" (which was released into the wild by him in the late '90s-early '00s) ? Is the song "Fantastic Bird" , as rumour has it , in someway connected with this ostensibly peculiar event ?

I have a vague recollection of them having a mutual friend who gave him a cassette. Or something. I think it's explained in Mozipedia.

I have a vague recollection of them having a mutual friend who gave him a cassette. Or something. I think it's explained in Mozipedia.

I don't know. Just had a quick look through "Mozipedia" - there's no reference to Legge and the "Striptease" entry doesn't mention him either. I don't want to stir the pot but would Morrissey have sat back quietly following Legge's supposedly unauthorised leaking ? As ever , mysteries gather...

Oops - just saw the "Similar Threads" feature at the bottom of the page. One was entitled " Morrissey serves injunction on Michael Legge". I tried to read through it but ( and , as a new member, it's probably not my place to say this) it seemed to consist of old screaming matches and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Last edited:
My guess would be that he got it via Andrew Paresi (or Andrew McGibbon as he later became). Paresi was the drummer on all those tracks. By the late 90s he'd veered into a career in comedy. I would guess that the two mixed in the same kind of middle-class BBC Radio4 sound-of-smug graduate comedy circles of the day.

My guess would be that Paresi/McGibbon is also the bloke behind the infamous "Melanie" track, which was first heard on a BBC Radio1 show fronted by Kevin Greening. McGibbon was one of the comedy performers who did characters on Greening's shows of the time, and would have the musical chops and inside knowledge to do a reasonably accurate 'spoof' Moz song.

My guess would be that he got it via Andrew Paresi (or Andrew McGibbon as he later became). Paresi was the drummer on all those tracks. By the late 90s he'd veered into a career in comedy. I would guess that the two mixed in the same kind of middle-class BBC Radio4 sound-of-smug graduate comedy circles of the day.

My guess would be that Paresi/McGibbon is also the bloke behind the infamous "Melanie" track, which was first heard on a BBC Radio1 show fronted by Kevin Greening. McGibbon was one of the comedy performers who did characters on Greening's shows of the time, and would have the musical chops and inside knowledge to do a reasonably accurate 'spoof' Moz song.

That sounds pretty accurate Joe. Wikipedia cites him as the creator of 'Melanie' via the Simon Mayo show.... Musical departures comprised the work of the Sinclair Singers, a satirical four-part jazz harmony group again mixed and produced by Danton Supple, as well as a parody of Morrissey smuggled in during guest host slots for Simon Mayo and known in fan circles as Oh Melanie.

This really hadn't occurred to me at all but certainly seems to fit. As "Mozipedia" has it, Paresi was definitely around for the relevant "Bona Drag" sessions and would easily have been able to hold on to a copy of the studio tape. I suppose the only bit of the puzzle missing now is some tangible clue of Legge's involvement with Paresi but you're right - it's hardly a leap in the dark for the pair to be knocking around together in BBC / comedy circles.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty accurate Joe. Wikipedia cites him as the creator of 'Melanie' via the Simon Mayo show.... Musical departures comprised the work of the Sinclair Singers, a satirical four-part jazz harmony group again mixed and produced by Danton Supple, as well as a parody of Morrissey smuggled in during guest host slots for Simon Mayo and known in fan circles as Oh Melanie.

Nice detective work, Morrizsey. And in Danton Supple we see another familiar name. Oh well , so much for my "Fantastic Bird" theory (about a possible relationship between Legge and Morrissey) ... damn ! Thanks for the thoughtful response ( oh ,and you too , Joe Frady).

Back
Top Bottom