Michael Imperioli on "Meat Is Murder" - "My Favorite Album" podcast

Guy from the Sopranos , can't remember his character's name but he was hooked up with Adriana.

Description:

Today podcaster, writer, musician, director and Emmy-winning actor Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos, The Lovely Bones) joins me to talk about the classic 1985 album by the Smiths, Meat is Murder. We talk about how this album broadened the Smiths post-punk sound, incorporating elements of rockabilly and funk, the under-heralded rhythm section of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, how Morrissey’s lyrics and persona compares to Tennessee Williams and Oscar Wilde, the difference between depressing music and music that explores negative subject matter, how impactful the band was despite their short time together, the small tweak from Johnny Marr that rescued How Soon Is Now?, how this record turned Michael vegetarian, how the Smiths album cover design inspired the front cover of Michael’s novel. Plus, Michael talks about getting into a fight at a Morrissey concert and whether he will play Lou Reed in the adaptation of his novel The Perfume Burned His Eyes.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting guy,interesting listen.

Mafia is murder

That's so funny. I started rewatching The Sopranos a couple of weeks ago and am on season 4 on an episode heavily featuring Michael. I pick up my phone to see this story on Moz Solo. Michael is a great actor, director, writer, podcaster and all round sharp and sweet guy. Respect.

Michael did a great podcast on Spotify about The Sopranos and a great book to go with it: Woke Up The Morning. It's a great primer to re-ignite your interest all over again in the TV show.

Guy from the Sopranos , can't remember his character's name but he was hooked up with Adriana.

Description:

Today podcaster, writer, musician, director and Emmy-winning actor Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos, The Lovely Bones) joins me to talk about the classic 1985 album by the Smiths, Meat is Murder. We talk about how this album broadened the Smiths post-punk sound, incorporating elements of rockabilly and funk, the under-heralded rhythm section of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, how Morrissey’s lyrics and persona compares to Tennessee Williams and Oscar Wilde, the difference between depressing music and music that explores negative subject matter, how impactful the band was despite their short time together, the small tweak from Johnny Marr that rescued How Soon Is Now?, how this record turned Michael vegetarian, how the Smiths album cover design inspired the front cover of Michael’s novel. Plus, Michael talks about getting into a fight at a Morrissey concert and whether he will play Lou Reed in the adaptation of his novel The Perfume Burned His Eyes.

Related items:
I like Christopher, I see he has a lot of tastes that match with mine.
He is gonna do a podcast on the Beats, I think. I can't wait, oh, but we must.

Meat Is Murder is also my favourite Smiths lp, although the song Meat Is Murder, is one I skip these days ( yes I am aware its a powerful record, that has changed lives.)

As a whole its fantastic, I think Well I Wonder, is the most perfect of perfect Smiths records.
The more the years fall and fade the more I am convinced, its the best song ever written by anyone, anywhere at any time.

Pretty sure I read an interview once where he said a friend took him to see The Smiths in NY. It was the first band he'd ever seen live and he has loved them ever since.
He mentions it in the interview - 6th August 1986 at Pier 84, New York City. He said it was an amazing outdoor concert and Morrissey danced and danced all night. Christopher forgot that Phranc opened the concert (he thought it might have been Aztec Camera).

Pretty sure I read an interview once where he said a friend took him to see The Smiths in NY. It was the first band he'd ever seen live and he has loved them ever since.
Michael, I mean, not Christopher. And was it Phranc that particular night, I dont know.

Michael, I mean, not Christopher. And was it Phranc that particular night, I dont know.
I saw Phranc open for the Kill Uncle tour in Ireland. Someone threw a lit match at her and she said " Morrissey DID warn me I'd get a warm welcome."

I didn't know Phranc may have supported The Smiths. Interesting.

I saw Phranc open for the Kill Uncle tour in Ireland. Someone threw a lit match at her and she said " Morrissey DID warn me I'd get a warm welcome."

I didn't know Phranc may have supported The Smiths. Interesting.
The support act was apparently Phranc for most if not all of the North American leg of the Meat Is Murder tour. I think the concert Michael attended at Pier 84 might have been the one where Mick Jagger went backstage to meet the Smiths. I'm not certain but I think there were only three Smiths concerts in New York City.

"...the small tweak from Johnny Marr that rescued How Soon Is Now?..." What were these tweaks? I've read things where it's said that John Porter was a large influence on this song, and without him the song wouldn't be nearly what it became.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom