Michael Imperioli on "Meat Is Murder" - "My Favorite Album" podcast

Guy from the Sopranos , can't remember his character's name but he was hooked up with Adriana.

Description:

Today podcaster, writer, musician, director and Emmy-winning actor Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos, The Lovely Bones) joins me to talk about the classic 1985 album by the Smiths, Meat is Murder. We talk about how this album broadened the Smiths post-punk sound, incorporating elements of rockabilly and funk, the under-heralded rhythm section of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, how Morrissey’s lyrics and persona compares to Tennessee Williams and Oscar Wilde, the difference between depressing music and music that explores negative subject matter, how impactful the band was despite their short time together, the small tweak from Johnny Marr that rescued How Soon Is Now?, how this record turned Michael vegetarian, how the Smiths album cover design inspired the front cover of Michael’s novel. Plus, Michael talks about getting into a fight at a Morrissey concert and whether he will play Lou Reed in the adaptation of his novel The Perfume Burned His Eyes.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the book cover that he said he used cause
he went ahead and got inspired by Smiths record
covers.

51m-e1lymyL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I like Christopher, I see he has a lot of tastes that match with mine.
He is gonna do a podcast on the Beats, I think. I can't wait, oh, but we must.

Meat Is Murder is also my favourite Smiths lp, although the song Meat Is Murder, is one I skip these days ( yes I am aware its a powerful record, that has changed lives.)

As a whole its fantastic, I think Well I Wonder, is the most perfect of perfect Smiths records.
The more the years fall and fade the more I am convinced, its the best song ever written by anyone, anywhere at any time.

Agree - it's probably my favourite Smiths album. But Meat is Murder is probably my least favourite of any track by The Smiths. It's got a very definite message. And that is generally deadly when it comes to art. Ambiguity is always better. Which is why Well I Wonder is such an amazing track. Great name for an album though. And a great cover too.

I find myself agreeing with just about everything Micheal said about The Smiths including MIM being my favorite album (minus the song MIM). While I think technically TQID is their "best," my personal favorite is MIM if that makes sense.

Anyway, an enjoyable listen, and Michael's knowledge of Smiths/Morrissey is impressive.

Last edited:
After him mention the fight at the Morrissey concert (around 12:30) and that the guy he fought 'wrote into one of the fan websites' it sounded familiar. Found a couple of the anonymous comments posted in this 2007 post-show thread to give his side of the story:

i miss the old style of M solo with all the replies bunched up underneath,dave bring it back,it was better in the old days.

that seems a mess.
it was in a way but it was all we had back in 07,it was quaint and ordinary.press a button now and you have everything,you had to seek everything out in those days.

it was in a way but it was all we had back in 07,it was quaint and ordinary.press a button now and you have everything,you had to seek everything out in those days.

Let’s go back to fanzines and having pen pals, if you want peace of mind.

After him mention the fight at the Morrissey concert (around 12:30) and that the guy he fought 'wrote into one of the fan websites' it sounded familiar. Found a couple of the anonymous comments posted in this 2007 post-show thread to give his side of the story:

Interesting to see 7 Smiths songs played that night...

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Death Of A Disco Dancer / Stretch Out And Wait / How Soon Is Now?

great setlist at that concert,those really were the days.

Morrissey, Bob Dylan, Lennon & MacCartney, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Vinicius de Moraes, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, and maybe, Mick Jagger.

I was two rows in front of Michael. The fight broke out during Death of a Disco Dancer, so it was difficult to see what was going on due to the strobe lights. I generally don’t mind strobe effects, but it was pretty extreme during this song. I assumed someone was having a seizure. When I looked more closely, I could see tussling, and I thought one looked like Michael. I only confirmed it was him after reading about it here the next morning. It was my first time seeing Morrissey (of seven) and it was my favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was two rows in front of Michael. The fight broke out during Death of a Disco Dancer, so it was difficult to see what was going on due to the strobe lights. I generally don’t mind strobe effects, but it was pretty extreme during this song. I assumed someone was having a seizure. When I looked more closely, I could see tussling, and I thought one looked like Michael. I only confirmed it was him after reading about it here the next morning. It was my first time seeing Morrissey (of seven) and it was my favorite.
Sounds like Michael should’ve been in the Royal Box. Or at a different gig.

Back
Top Bottom